Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Anyone ever go to the Hungry Fisherman Restaurant? It was on a little island and had a big light house?

It was next to Baum Lake off of Baum Drive at the railroad crossing near Deane Hill Drive. It was used as a mental health facility and last I noticed was an events/catering operation.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Yeah that was it.

The Hungry Fisherman was a small chain of about a dozen restaurants owned by Shoney's (or Shoney's South). They also owned Captain D's.

Now the Knoxville building is the Lighthouse - events/weddings

http://lighthouseknoxville.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Vjcvette
Hawkeyes Corner, hands down.

Watsons department store on Market Square. Followed by Miller's and Proffit's dept. stores.

Kays Ice Cream

The original Peros.

Julians (predecessor to Sassy Annes)

Manhattans

For my Chattanooga brethren: Roy Peppers Porch and Peoples
Retailer: The Leader

Last edited:
I remember walking in that place, pipes leaking from the ceiling, condom and needle on the floor, glow sticks getting thrown everywhere, half naked chicks rubbing on each other, and thought "I'm finally home" lol

Ahh the memories. We would hit "the underground" above until it closed and then head to "the boiler room" below.

Reactions: 1 person
Hawkeyes Corner, hands down.

Watsons department store on Market Square. Followed by Miller's and Proffit's dept. stores.

Kays Ice Cream

The original Peros.

Julians (predecessor to Sassy Annes)

Manhattans

For my Chattanooga brethren: Roy Peppers Porch and Peoples
Retailer: The Leader
Loved Kay's Ice Cream, the kid licking the giant ice cream out front, right?

I remember walking in that place, pipes leaking from the ceiling, condom and needle on the floor, glow sticks getting thrown everywhere, half naked chicks rubbing on each other, and thought "I'm finally home" lol

was it in the old city, and you could take your own beer in there..

I saw some wild stuff go down there....and I only went a few times, when I was back in town

it opened after I had moved from Knoxville

I think we've talked about it before. The DU house was right up the hill so it was too easy to stumble home.

A stumble....thru Reefer Park first

yeah, I think we talked about Ivys but damn, it sure was fun especially on Monday nites. We paid 3 friggin' dollars for all you can drink beer. Incredible. One beer at a bar now will run you $5-6.

Ahh the memories. We would hit "the underground" above until it closed and then head to "the boiler room" below.

First time I ever ummm took the blue pill was at Boiler Room, I was standing in the line to the bathroom and my buddy comes up and asks if I'm feeling it yet. I say no, he says then why are you dancing? I look down to my feet moving without me knowing it, my shirt is gone and I have glow stick liquid all over me. Lol He sets me down goes and gets this blonde named "Barbie" in a short black dress, no underwear to give me a massage...I was hooked. Lol Did you ever go to Fiction when it was above it? It was alright, pretty much a time killer till the BR opened.

was it in the old city, and you could take your own beer in there..

I saw some wild stuff go down there....and I only went a few times, when I was back in town

it opened after I had moved from Knoxville

Yup. It was craziness every weekend, pull a girl so easy too. Helped that me and a buddy eventually went into the distribution business.

Alex's Havana Cafe

Garcia's

The original Mandarin House behind Garcia's

West Haven Barber Shop

Reactions: ArdentVol
What, you don't miss the old Capri theater and that gruff old bird Cecil that ran it?

And does it count to list the Downtown West 8 theater back when it had only 4 screens but was called AMC Cinema 6?

I was just lazy posting. The Terrace Tap House was part of the Capri group (Simpson Theaters). The Riviera on Gay Street is another... can't remember where it was and if the building was torn down or not.

VN Store

Back