Going to say what no one else will: Kennedy Chandler’s already the best PG

Name one who was better. Imo Tony Harris is probably the best pg I’ve seen play at Tennessee, and Chandler is already more talented than Harris was when he left.

Sometimes the "Best" isn't the most "talented"

Ellis 17.5 pts and 5.8 rpg

Bernard King 25.8 ppg and 13.2 rpg

I would definitely argue that no one came close to King’s abilities.

You’re comparing career stats and King wins that and the greatest player here, no question. Dale didn’t score much his freshman yr but his jr & sr years rivaled King. Ellis was an outstanding defensive player and that’s where I’d definitely give Ellis an advantage. He defended Barkley, Wilkins, Hurt at Alabama, etc. He was outstanding defending 7-4 Ralph Sampson of Va in the NCAA tournament.

I’m a big Dale Ellis fan, arguably the best all-around player (offense, defense, rebounding) at Tennessee but Lofton is the best shooter.

Allan Houston, Michael Brooks, and maybe even Mike Edwards were every bit of a shooter that Lofton was. Tony White is in the discussion. If I had to pick just one I’d go with Houston.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Allan Houston, Michael Brooks, and maybe even Mike Edwards were every bit of a shooter that Lofton was. Tony White is in the discussion. If I had to pick just one I’d go with Houston.

Lofton made big shots. The one over Durant & in ncaa vs Winthrop were just a couple. Houston was an outstanding shooter but I considered him more a scorer. Got fouled a lot, drove the basket, etc. Houston manufactured his own shots. Brooks & Edwards were outstanding shooters also but my nod goes to Lofton.

Reactions: walkenvol
Lofton made big shots. The one over Durant & in ncaa vs Winthrop were just a couple. Houston was an outstanding shooter but I considered him more a scorer. Got fouled a lot, drove the basket, etc. Houston manufactured his own shots. Brooks & Edwards were outstanding shooters also but my nod goes to Lofton.

I wouldn’t penalize Houston as a shooter because he could also put a move on a defender to get open. Houston and Brooks had flawless form. Lofton leaned back a little and often shot fadeaway jumpers while Tony White leaned toward the basket and into defenders a lot.

Free throw accuracy is a pretty good indicator. Lofton, White, Houston, Bill Justus, and Mike Edwards had similar results. But Jimmy England’s career 88.1% tops all of them. Michael Brooks made 39 straight FTs in 1985. Danny Shultz also made 39 straight in 1963. Scooter McFadgon owns the best FT percentage in a season (91.2%). Bill Justus drained 22 of 23 in one game in 1969. Grant Williams was 23 for 23 versus Vanderbilt, the NCAA record is 24 for 24.

It was a weird look for me. Devoe had him in the paint so much it was kind of shocking to see him living on the perimeter in the NBA.

Michael Brooks didn’t have a 3-PL either. He had as much range or more than Lofton.
He reinvented his game once he was in the NBA. Special athlete. Not too many people know that he was a great tennis player who could have played for the Vols had it not conflicted with basketball schedule. And those Vol tennis teams were generally some of the best in the country

Reactions: Goalpost82
Some of you all saying the best freshman since Bernard must not remember a guy named Allan Houston.
I remember Alan. He was an outside scorer, but he did not do the other thinks Chandler is doing. I take Chanler by a landslide. I do reserve to change my opinion when we get into the meat of the season, but, as of now, I go with Chandler.

I remember Alan. He was an outside scorer, but he did not do the other thinks Chandler is doing. I take Chanler by a landslide. I do reserve to change my opinion when we get into the meat of the season, but, as of now, I go with Chandler.

Houston was unstoppable other than his final game (40-101). He wasn’t surrounded by talented players. He also wasn’t coached well. Allan is no doubt the best shooting guard that TN has ever had on any roster.

Yes. He looks even better than advertised thus far. We will name Chandler’s restaurant after him if Kennnedy takes us past the sweet 16 this year. So much potential, and to think a blue chip rim protector who hasn’t even played yet in Aidoo.

We are so much more well rounded than last year, I can’t wait for March.

I missed the game but all this talk made me look at the stat sheet. How does Plav get a goose egg on rebounds? Lol

I missed the game but all this talk made me look at the stat sheet. How does Plav get a goose egg on rebounds? Lol

He only played 7 minutes and I remember him trying to defend several 3-point attempts after switching. His assigned player was setting a lot of picks at the (very) high post.

Reactions: HarsinVol
I can say that from the King-Grunfeld era all the way to now, the two most exciting players ever are King and Chandler, in my opinion. It’s early, but Chandler is supremely gifted, as was Bernard. There are great players, and there are a rare few beyond that.

VN Store

Back