Going to say what no one else will: Kennedy Chandler’s already the best PG

There isn’t going to be any college NIL deal that competes with a first round NBA contract - plus the endorsements that come with that too.
He's worth a lot more in endorsement at TN than a rookie playing for the Thunder that nobody has heard of. I do think endorsement money will retain some talent now, but probably not Chandler. He's on another level

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
He's worth a lot more in endorsement at TN than a rookie playing for the Thunder that nobody has heard of. I do think endorsement money will retain some talent now, but probably not Chandler. He's on another level
I disagree with everything in this post until "probably not Chandler."

He’s one member on the team. He’s good but every other sentence from the announcers gets a little overboard to me.

TN’s all time greats at PG are guys like Danny Shultz, Billy Hahn, Dickey Johnston, Rodney Woods, Johnny Darden, Bert, Tony Harris, Bobby Maze, CJ Watson, and Josh Bone. KC will be the GOAT PG if he avoids injury.
If he can even equal Tony Harris that would be fine with me. Harris is definitely the reigning PG GOAT. Darden would be next. Darden was more flash than special.

Johnny Darden is the best point guard UT ever had. Chandler's defense needs significant improvement before he could be considered the best. Also might want to see how he looks against Villanova before starting a discussion like this.

How about best PG in an exhibition and 2 scrub openers in UT Vol history. I could go with that. That boy does have so serious mojo no doubt.

Hard to argue with that. Dale Ellis could be the sixth man

Dale was a promising player as a freshman but he really exploded his soph yr.

Hard to believe that 3 of the 5 were Mears recruits when freshmen were eligible for only about his last 4 yrs.

Ive been extremely impressed with Kennedy but fans need to relax alittle. 1) these are two middle tier mid major programs at best, Competition will increase significantly 2) the opponents will scout and game plan against him once they see more as the season goes on, 3) the mental grid as a freshman is tough, every player starting this weekend he plays against is going to be very very good. Freshmen arent used to 30 straight games against players of that caliber, even if you come from Memphis.

Reactions: TrapVol
Dale was a promising player as a freshman but he really exploded his soph yr.

Hard to believe that 3 of the 5 were Mears recruits when freshmen were eligible for only about his last 4 yrs.

Ive been extremely impressed with Kennedy but fans need to relax alittle. 1) these are two middle tier mid major programs at best, Competition will increase significantly 2) the opponents will scout and game plan against him once they see more as the season goes on, 3) the mental grid as a freshman is tough, every player starting this weekend he plays against is going to be very very good. Freshmen arent used to 30 straight games against players of that caliber, even if you come from Memphis.

Grunfeld was the first freshman starter when they were again eligible in 1973. King was the 2nd a year later. Darden was the 3rd in 1975 and I think that Reggie was the 4th starting as a freshman in 1976 although Terry Crosby possibly started a game or 2 in 1975. Mike Edwards would have started in 1969 had freshmen been eligible and possibly Kosmalski in 1970.

Ellis was such an amazing shooter in the NBA that people forget he didn’t even play with the 3 point like

It was a weird look for me. Devoe had him in the paint so much it was kind of shocking to see him living on the perimeter in the NBA.

Michael Brooks didn’t have a 3-PL either. He had as much range or more than Lofton.

Small sample size against inferior opponents, he is the most prepared PG I have seen hit the floor at UT in some time. We will know more when he plays against some ranked teams~

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Grunfeld was the first freshman starter when they were again eligible in 1973. King was the 2nd a year later. Darden was the 3rd in 1975 and I think that Reggie was the 4th starting as a freshman in 1976 although Terry Crosby possibly started a game or 2 in 1975. Mike Edwards would have started in 1969 had freshmen been eligible and possibly Kosmalski in 1970.

Ellis completely changed his game when he went into the NBA which says alot about his drive and ability. Alot of people can practice all they want but cant make such a transition, DE could.

Johnny Darden is the best point guard UT ever had. Chandler's defense needs significant improvement before he could be considered the best. Also might want to see how he looks against Villanova before starting a discussion like this.

Didn't Darden play defense exclusively in Mear's 1-3-1 zone defense? If so, I wouldn't penalize KC in comparison, because we don't know how good Darden was in defense.

Tennessee better up their NIL game. Because Stefano’s pizza ain’t cuttin’ It.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back