Going for 1000 - Lady Vols vs. Oklahoma game thread

LadyVols#1Fan

ESPN men’s college basketball analyst and Basketball Hall of Famer Bob Knight, the winningest coach in Division I men’s college basketball with 902 victories, will call his first-ever women’s college basketball telecast, which could potentially be winningest Division I women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt’s historic 1,000th career victory. Coach Summitt is only one win away from achieving that milestone, but must first defeat No. 2 Oklahoma at the Sooners home court on Monday, Feb. 2, at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2 and ESPN360.com for the Big Monday telecast.
Bob Knight to Call Women’s College Basketball Telecast Featuring

Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight will call his first women's basketball game Monday night when Tennessee coach Pat Summitt goes for her 1,000th victory against No. 2 Oklahoma.

More...

1000 wins.thats crazy.the first college coach to ever have 1000 wins. might need her on the mens side

Back when Pat Summitt was 22 years old, driving the van to road games, doing the team laundry and guiding her Lady Vols in front of a few dozen fans, her ambition was just to make a career in coaching.

More...

She said in the interview with Vitale during the UT/UF game that in her first win, in her second game, against MTSU, there were 53 people in attendance. You have to guess that many of those were players parents or friends.

They played those first years in the old Memorial Gymnasium where PE classes were held.

1000 wins (over 400 against ranked teams), 8 Nat. Champs, 42 straight NCAA bids (all of them), 70 in coaching tree, numerous SEC champs, all in my mind come behind the 100% graduation rate. That is a lot of players.

1000 wins (over 400 against ranked teams), 8 Nat. Champs, 42 straight NCAA bids (all of them), 70 in coaching tree, numerous SEC champs, all in my mind come behind the 100% graduation rate. That is a lot of players.

100% graduation rate?!? Really?!?

Tennessee coach Pat Summitt will be seeking her 1000th coaching victory and the Lady Vols will travel to Oklahoma for a "Big Monday" meeting on ESPN2 against the Sooners.

More...

what i find amazing is that in over 30 years of coaching she only has 32 losses to unranked teams. vs over 500 wins.
plus over 450 wins vs ranked teams....wow

that says a lot.

I don't think it will happen against Oklahoma. Next up would be at home vs Georgia on 2/5 and then at Florida on 2/8...

Oklahoma has Courtney Paris, she has 112 consecutive double doubles, averaging 15.7ppg, 13.6rpg. Her sister Ashley Paris is averaging 14ppg, 10rpg.... Will be really tough inside.

Oklahoma's losses this year are to UNC and UConn back in November.

Interesting--nice nod of respect to PS to get Knight--but the LVs could very well lose this game.

Legendary University of Tennessee basketball coach Pat Summitt, who has already won more games than any other basketball coach — men's or women's — in NCAA history, is on the verge of reaching a milestone that was simply unthinkable before the days of Title IX: 1,000 career victories.

Summitt could reach that feat on Feb. 2, when the Lady Vols play Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. Before win number 999 against the University of Mississippi on Jan. 29, Summitt, who has won eight national titles over her 35-year career with the Lady Vols, including the '07 and '08 championships, spoke to TIME's Sean Gregory about the challenges of coaching today's player, how she thinks she'd do in the NBA, and her cheerleading skills.
Q&A: Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt - TIME

VN Store

Back