Giving our D it's due credit

xpsyclonex2002

I've got to admit that at the beginning of the season, i was foaming at the mouth cussing the tv for the defense looking lost......absolutely lost. But they got their act together and gelled into a solid performing squad. We were Alabama 's lowest scoring game. Yep. LSU and Auburn's defense couldn't handle Alabama's offense as well as we did and we had to face Tua as well (looking at you Auburn...) So hats off to Pruitt and the D guys for putting in the work. We have a good foundation to build on for next season.

I think the knowledge part was what didnt translate. You have to know your role and the terminology in order to do your job. I dont think that it clicked for the defense until the Mississippi state game what they all needed to do.

But once that happened, we saw a totally different team.

First few game you basically had all first year starters on the DLine.. Thats never good! .. As they gained experience and improved, the LB and DB play was positively affected

Midway 4th quarter of the UGA game before the dam broke I saw a football team coming together.

Every time this season I saw Daniel Bituli frantically making lineman infront him move into correct alignment, I knew how much we missed him in those early games. It also worries me about next year with out ILB depth. We really don't have anyone besides Henry T. The newcomers and backups like JJ Peterson and Solon Page will have to pick up really fast. May be Crouch can play inside if needed.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Every time this season I saw Daniel Bituli frantically making lineman infront him move into correct alignment, I knew how much we missed him in those early games. It also worries me about next year with out ILB depth. We really don't have anyone besides Henry T. The newcomers and backups like JJ Peterson and Solon Page will have to pick up really fast. May be Crouch can play inside if needed.
If you noticed in the last 5 games of the year, Bitulli did not have to do that with the DLine anymore, they knew. Then is when things got better for everyone.

Reactions: Remy and volmandu
It's likely that HT will set the D alignments. But we got in trouble a few years ago when DKjr and Colton Jumper were the only two LB's capable of calling the defensive signals. We need 2 back-ups to HT who can set our D. Pruitt's system is complex when considered in it's entirity. We need good communication. I think we've come a long ways and additional practices are going to be helpful. The KC Chief's DB's bewildered D.Carr yesterday by switching off coverage and that's how DB's should play. Just good team chemistry. I hope Pruitt was watching.

Good thing Henry T has big feet.

From a guy that is a very good friend that hangs around the De La Salle program Too'too came from, he's the rah rah rah snot bubble blowing inspirational guy every team needs, the Al Wilson type. At least for 2 more years and he remains healthy, our defense is in great hands for leadership. He's the guy you'd follow through the gate of Hell if necessary. Get ready he's gong to be fun to watch for the next couple of years.

I will never forget Bituli fighting tears as he went through the T for senior day. I will love this guy forever. Wish he had another year.

Reactions: FïreBall

VN Store

Back