Give us your positive takeaways

We have a QB that could be really good as he plays more and gets more experience.
The Ol is doing a lot better job.
The WRS are excellent this season and should produce more now that we have someone that can get them the ball.

Negatives is the DL it sucks to much time for the QB. The secondary would probably be better if the DL was better but they make to many mistakes as a group still. Why can't our defense line up right seems they are a little confused a lot of the time. I thought defense was gonna be a strong point in year two and even though we don't have enough personnel we need I still blame the coaching staff for all the errors this group is making.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
The defensive line is our biggest weakness on defense. Georgia obviously has one of the best offensive lines in the country, so I guess it could be expected that they dominated that matchup. Again, literally none of them had played a meaningful snap for us before this year, but I do think they'll get better. Linebacker depth is an issue, but Henry T is a beast.

Tackling needs to improve. I think that's a product of trying to rip out the ball instead of wrapping up. We had several times where we could have had Georgia stopped for a loss or minimal yardage, yet somehow they manage to escape to get 7, 8, or more yards. There were at least 3 or 4 plays where we could have stopped them for no gain, but they break it for 10-15 yards. If we make those plays, the rush defense looks much better. Obviously Georgia deserves some credit for that too.

Secondary played pretty well overall. Hard to grade them fairly as Fromm mostly had plenty of time to pass.

Receivers looked much better, offensive line is starting to look pretty good. Running backs were decent, but we needed to run the ball a little more to try to control the clock a little better. Our defense had to play almost the entire game.

A decent amount of positives, and also plenty of things to work on. Some of the things we can work on are correctable, some are more personnel and depth issues that aren't going to be fixed overnight.

Yes I know...jimmie and joes. Nice to see you supporting the players. We can't judge Pruitt until he has the best talent on the field...like he's been used to.

In the past coaches were expected to actually coach whatever talent they had. Sorry to be so unreasonable.
Oh they are getting coached but not performing to meet your expectation. I support the team and the staff. I just realize it can't be fixed as fast as most on here want.

Oh they are getting coached but not performing to meet your expectation. I support the team and the staff. I just realize it can't be fixed as fast as most on here want.
No...you absolve the coaches and lay the blame in the players for not responding, being coachable, or simply not being good enough. I haven’t placed a timeline on winning, just visible improvement...and we’ve regressed in his second year.

I’m old enough to remember when coaches were held responsible for the product on the field, and might be expected to actually coach improvement.

No...you absolve the coaches and lay the blame in the players for not responding, being coachable, or simply not being good enough. I haven’t placed a timeline on winning, just visible improvement...and we’ve regressed in his second year.

I’m old enough to remember when coaches were held responsible for the product on the field, and might be expected to actually coach improvement.

Totally agree about the coaching. That’s the new excuse everywhere for coaches who can’t improve the talent they inherit. All 105 players are Pruitt’s. If he is the coach that will lead Tenn back, he has to be able to coach up all the players, not just the 5* guys. With the 25 Player limit, he is never going to have a 2 deep of all SEC talent. That rule was a killer for teams currently in a down trend.

Our D line is very thin, which hinders the whole defense and makes it look worse than it is. However UGA does have one of the best O lines in the country.

Maurer was my favorite positive takeaway from this game. Yes, we don't have the depth to compete with UGA/Bama yet, but I am enjoying what I'm seeing from the younger players, particularly Maurer, Wright, Morris, Gray, and To'oto'o.

1. BM is a competent QB.

2. The Oline got better.

3. Defense can give us a good 1.75 quarters per game.

4. Fans still care by showing up.

5. Some big recruits are still committed.

No offense, but this is not the particular thread for that discussion. Trying to focus on fans' positive takeaways from Saturday in this one. Thanks

1. Put up a good fight for 20 minutes
2. I like what I saw in Maurer
3. The talent pool gap between Tennessee and Georgia is huge. And depressing.

To your third point, considering this is a positives thread, at least our starters were up to the task. It is their depth that really sets them apart. Their starting 5 star player gets tired, they just bring in another 4 or 5 star. We don't have that kind of depth or development yet.

No offense, but this is not the particular thread for that discussion. Trying to focus on fans' positive takeaways from Saturday in this one. Thanks
Didn’t mean to jack your thread, and wouldn’t have if it hadn’t been for @Vol524 directly responding to me.

Like many others I should have just ignored him.

Apologies.

I played so this "it is all on the coaches crap doesn't float". The point I was trying to make is a player has to be physically able to do what is expected out of them. If you are not big enough and fast enough to cover a receiver or you can't cover as much area as needed because you are a step too slow. The entire defense looks bad. It is just a plain and simple fact. They also must have the heart and desire to perform. Not everyone does. Football is a BIG mans sport. We simply don't have enough big men yet. I know you don't want to hear it but it is the truth. It will take more time but we will get there. If Pruitt is allowed enough time to get the BIG MEN we need and we still can't play up to expectations then I will be ready to get rid of him. We are not there yet. As for how old you are. I am pretty sure I am a lot older than you.

Reactions: Stevebriggs
I played so this "it is all on the coaches crap doesn't float". The point I was trying to make is a player has to be physically able to do what is expected out of them. If you are not big enough and fast enough to cover a receiver or you can't cover as much area as needed because you are a step too slow. The entire defense looks bad. It is just a plain and simple fact. They also must have the heart and desire to perform. Not everyone does. Football is a BIG mans sport. We simply don't have enough big men yet. I know you don't want to hear it but it is the truth. It will take more time but we will get there. If Pruitt is allowed enough time to get the BIG MEN we need and we still can't play up to expectations then I will be ready to get rid of him. We are not there yet. As for how old you are. I am pretty sure I am a lot older than you.
As requested I am not going to jack Shoals thread any further. It’s obviously a losing battle, since you’re “older”.

Have a blessed day, and enjoy blaming the players.

Another positive I saw was the offensive play-calling. They seemed to call the game in a way that built confidence for Maurer and worked with his strengths. It was a vast improvement over what we’ve seen recently, based upon the QB we’ve been relying on. JG always looked overwhelmed to me.

I loved the fight we showed..
saw players getting after Georgia players during and after plays...
looked like we were playing with an attitude and a no quit attitude...
outside Bama... ALL GAMES ARE WINNABLE......
if we play the way we did in the first half against Georgia....

VN Store

Back