Get over to the baseball board, folks.

I am a huge baseball fan and I’d agree the free agency monster has changed the game forever. However what we saw this past week with MLB has the potential to damage (and maybe even destroy) MLB forever!! I had a conversation with them on Tuesday and make no mistake about it....they are regretting what they’ve done but don’t know how to reverse it. As I recently heard for an example....NCAA basketball championship had 17 million viewers... NBA Championship had 7 million. Baseball is a great game by itself but could EASILY go the way of the NBA.
You had a conversation with MLB?
Details please.
GBO!!

Sorry, I know this is a football board and I hope this thread isn’t moved or deleted. But we have a monster growing over at Lindsey Nelson. Will probably be ranked in the top 5 when the next rankings come out and set to host #1 Vandy next weekend.

Vitello has been the best thing to happen to UT athletics in a long time. We need to suppprt this program so he sticks around. If you’re not already going over there, I hope you’ll join and contribute. Baseball is fun again.
What? That would mean we’d miss long discussions about the helmet design!

You had a conversation with MLB?
Details please.
GBO!!
YOU can call them too. YOU are the customer and trust me ...right now they NEED to hear from you. PLEASE call them and discuss what’s going on. They are terrified! 1-866-800-1275 press 0 and you’ll get a rep.

Last edited:
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
NCAA baseball is MUCH better quality and depth now vs when I played. But I cringe when I watch these current batters step out of the box EVERY FRIGGIN PITCH to unwrap/rewrap both batting gloves, take a deep breath, look at their bat barrel for awhile, and step back in. The batters rewrap their gloves even when they take a pitch. I understand OCD, but damn!!

I realize these guys are trying to act like major leaguers in their approach. But, SEC baseball games are typically over 3 hrs now. Unlike football, I can’t blame the longer baseball games on more commercials. Make games 7 innings or stop meditating before every pitch!

NCAA baseball is MUCH better quality and depth now vs when I played. But I cringe when I watch these current batters step out of the box EVERY FRIGGIN PITCH to unwrap/rewrap both batting gloves, take a deep breath, look at their bat barrel for awhile, and step back in. The batters rewrap their gloves even when they take a pitch. I understand OCD, but damn!!

I realize these guys are trying to act like major leaguers in their approach. But, SEC baseball games are typically over 3 hrs now. Unlike football, I can’t blame the longer baseball games on more commercials. Make games 7 innings or stop meditating before every pitch!

The rule should be as follows...if the pitcher is on the rubber, he is free to fire a strike whether the batter is in the box or not.

I was an undergrad at UT when we had Todd Helton and R.A. Dickey and made it to Omaha in 1995. This is definitely our best baseball team since then. It's exciting and a much needed relief from the despair and disappointment everywhere else in our athletic department. Vitello is getting it done. Gotta keep him. Missouri is going to be coming for him... soon.

I agree Helton and his crew were very good and fun to watch. Not many guys come in from first base and close the game from the mound. I think those teams are better than the current vols.

The current guys are fun to watch and definitely scrappy. So far, they play with heart and find ways to win. Been awhile since we have seen that in the orange and white.

I was an undergrad at UT when we had Todd Helton and R.A. Dickey and made it to Omaha in 1995. This is definitely our best baseball team since then. It's exciting and a much needed relief from the despair and disappointment everywhere else in our athletic department. Vitello is getting it done. Gotta keep him. Missouri is going to be coming for him... soon.
The Diamond Vols were great during my undergrad years as well. Luke Hochaver, JP Arencibia, Julio Borbon and James Adkins were all great guys. JP now does color and in stadium reporting during Marlins games.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
It would be hypocritical of me to start paying attention to baseball now that they are winning.

I consider myself a Fairweather UT basketball and baseball fan and I lose sleep every night worrying about what others here think. Maybe we should start a support group for others like us?

Go Vols!

UT is chronically ass-backwards in everything. Our BEST program on campus has the WORST facilities. Ridiculous. Are there no big boosters that care about baseball that's willing to help push a new facility?? Vitello and those guys deserve SO much better than LNS. It's pitiful.

While I grew up a HUGE baseball fan, free agency has killed that game. There is absolutely no loyalty among the players to any team now. They just move from team to team for a few more dollars. I would rather sit on my front porch and watch my grass grow than sit through a 9 inning baseball game now.

If the NCAA is not careful, the transfer portal is going to do the same thing to college sports.
I would say Ronald Acuna and Ozzie Albies are being loyal with the contract to eat signed. They both signed for 10 years for about $10 million a year and both could have easily gotten a lot more of they would have played out there rookie contracts and when Free Agent route. Glad both are locked up for so long with the Braves.

Reactions: Gillimus
Why is Vandy ranked above us?
They are defending National Champs, and like any other sport, get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings.

While pitching is their strength, it's also their downfall...their defense isn't good enough to cover up a bad throwing outing.

Reactions: MAD
Nice to have a relief from absolute dumpster fires (football), habitual underperformances (men's basketball), and still ongoing rebuild efforts (Lady Vols).

Baseball is a great relaxing sport to watch.
This is what I feel as well. If you like watching and thinking about strategy and "what would I do in this situation" kinda thing then baseball is the perfect game. I like nothing better than an ole fashion pitching duel (which doesnt happen very often anymore). BUT there are some who just can't handle that type of game. I have a very close friend who is a long time SEC baseball umpire. I ask him a few years ago about his favorite game to ump...Never hesitated and said "1-0 home team wins"

VN Store

Back