Georgia promotes James Coley to offensive coordinator after Jim Chaney's departure

I wonder how Coley feels about Kirby promoting him after getting shutdown by Eddie Gran...
Happens all the time in this business though. Guys take jobs all the time knowing that before they were approached, they tried and failed to hire multiple people before them. Saban was not Alabama's first choice. I think Florida preferred Kelly over Mullen. I mean Pruitt was hired about we had tried and failed to hire about 10 people before him - admittedly, Pruitt was actually hired by a new AD who made him among his first calls.

In "regular jobs" it definitely is a blow to the ego or can make for awkward time early on the job, but it is par for the course in big time college coaching.

In "regular jobs" it definitely is a blow to the ego or can make for awkward time early on the job, but it is par for the course in big time college coaching.

Happens in the 'regular world' too sometimes. If I'm in the running for a high-level role and someone else gets offered and declined, I'm not going to be sad if I get the job as the 2nd choice. In the real world, you need a bit of luck to get your opportunities. We just see all of it amplified in football with the sports media.

Happens all the time in this business though. Guys take jobs all the time knowing that before they were approached, they tried and failed to hire multiple people before them. Saban was not Alabama's first choice. I think Florida preferred Kelly over Mullen. I mean Pruitt was hired about we had tried and failed to hire about 10 people before him - admittedly, Pruitt was actually hired by a new AD who made him among his first calls.

True, but there's something to be said for who the first choice was if you are going to be the consolation prize. I can't imagine that Kirby trying to woo away Eddie Gran will foster much loyalty with Coley if he does well in 2019 and the inevitable job offers come in after the season.

Reactions: Remy
True, but there's something to be said for who the first choice was if you are going to be the consolation prize. I can't imagine that Kirby trying to woo away Eddie Gran will foster much loyalty with Coley if he does well in 2019 and the inevitable job offers come in after the season.
The job offers coming Coley's way would be inevitable either way if their offense is good in 2019. He's a coordinator at a top program - that's an obvious place other schools who are in need of an HC start looking. Supposedly Coley also is a great recruiter with South Florida connections - that kind of thing is hugely in demand, especially at SEC/ACC schools.

Not really as an OC he hasn’t, he was not well liked at Miami which was his other major stop. His greatest success was FSU under Fisher
He may or may not be good. My point was just that he's not a completely unknown quantity.

VN Store

Back