Georgia now officially investigating paying players

We already have mutually assured destruction if all the teams are not playing by the same rules. Attendance is dropping like a brick in college football over the last 15 years. The image of college football is now taking on the traits of professional wrestling with a total lack of credibility. Some of have been college football fans for more than 50 years and can see this game is a total farce now. It is no longer a game I encourage my children or grandchildren to enjoy. Would love to see it fixed somehow.

College football revenues are higher than they've ever been.

We already have mutually assured destruction if all the teams are not playing by the same rules. Attendance is dropping like a brick in college football over the last 15 years. The image of college football is now taking on the traits of professional wrestling with a total lack of credibility. Some of have been college football fans for more than 50 years and can see this game is a total farce now. It is no longer a game I encourage my children or grandchildren to enjoy. Would love to see it fixed somehow.
Attendance is dropping across all spectator sports, college and professional. It has nothing to do with the perception of the sport becoming farcical.

I'm curious as to why you think it's a total farce now versus having been a total farce from the very beginning. That's my biggest point of disagreement with this stance, the notion that teams either weren't cheating, or cheated nowhere near as badly, back in the day. Like I said earlier in the thread, SMU had a weekly payroll in the early 80s and had some guys making 6 figures. Other rule-breaking like point shaving was way more prevalent back in the day. For all the talk about a lack of parity, college sports has always been that way. In any given era, the sport has been dominated by a relative handful of schools.

I know y'all won't hear it from @bamawriter so perhaps you'll hear it from a fellow UT fan...I can't help but wonder if the bemoaning of the current state of the sport has anything to do with the fact that we suck. It isn't a big stretch to wonder that if Tennessee was really good right now, we wouldn't have people coming in here and saying "Yeah, I mean this sport is a total farce like professional wrestling."

Reactions: bamawriter
Attendance is dropping across all spectator sports, college and professional. It has nothing to do with the perception of the sport becoming farcical.

I'm curious as to why you think it's a total farce now versus having been a total farce from the very beginning. That's my biggest point of disagreement with this stance, the notion that teams either weren't cheating, or cheated nowhere near as badly, back in the day. Like I said earlier in the thread, SMU had a weekly payroll in the early 80s and had some guys making 6 figures. Other rule-breaking like point shaving was way more prevalent back in the day. For all the talk about a lack of parity, college sports has always been that way. In any given era, the sport has been dominated by a relative handful of schools.

I know y'all won't hear it from @bamawriter so perhaps you'll hear it from a fellow UT fan...I can't help but wonder if the bemoaning of the current state of the sport has anything to do with the fact that we suck. It isn't a big stretch to wonder that if Tennessee was really good right now, we wouldn't have people coming in here and saying "Yeah, I mean this sport is a total farce like professional wrestling."

It has nothing to do with we suck. It has to do with parity of the sport at the top.

Not going to lie, if we were Bama right now I wouldn’t see/admit it. I don’t blame the top 5-6 teams at the top, it works for them. Hell, I’m sure the regular season for Clemson, OSU, and Bama is a real nail biter. 🙄

At this point, it isn’t about being a UT fan. It’s about being a fan of the other 115 teams that really have no legitimate shot at winning anything of substance. The sport as a whole has turned into a farce.

And so be it. I’m sure the fans of those top 5-6 teams are fine with it. Forget UT, just as a CFB fan in general, I’ve personally lost most of the interest I had even 10 years ago.

But congrats on your “objectivity” and apologist attitude. The Buckeyes and Bama fans appreciate your support, I’m sure.

Reactions: VolInNW
This is like a police department investigating their own internal corruption. Total sham and nothing will come of it. If anything they are getting their ducks in a row so they can hit Propst with a defamation lawsuit.

This is like a police department investigating their own internal corruption. Total sham and nothing will come of it. If anything they are getting their ducks in a row so they can hit Propst with a defamation lawsuit.
I think this is more likely. If they are doing any investigation it's so they can clean up any evidence or weak areas in their "process" so that they can't be found.

The SEC/NCAA better cover it up quick. The Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 will have investigators and lawyers all over this so they can smear the SEC.
I don't think any of the big boys want this can opened. Do you think Justin Fields gave up a paycheck at UGA to go to OSU because baseball players didn't say mean things to him there? If you've been to Norman OK, you know it wasn't the scenery that attracted all our transfers.

If you think that the schools (any of them) have any interest in shutting this stuff down, you are kidding yourself. Tennessee isn't self-reporting out of sense of fair play. They saw a way out of buying out Pruitt, and they're banking on the sanctions being relatively manageable.

The UT investigation won't touch any other schools because no one has any desire to take a chainsaw to the money tree.
So, you think the cheating is justified because of money?

It has nothing to do with we suck. It has to do with parity of the sport at the top.

Not going to lie, if we were Bama right now I wouldn’t see/admit it. I don’t blame the top 5-6 teams at the top, it works for them. Hell, I’m sure the regular season for Clemson, OSU, and Bama is a real nail biter. 🙄

At this point, it isn’t about being a UT fan. It’s about being a fan of the other 115 teams that really have no legitimate shot at winning anything of substance. The sport as a whole has turned into a farce.

And so be it. I’m sure the fans of those top 5-6 teams are fine with it. Forget UT, just as a CFB fan in general, I’ve personally lost most of the interest I had even 10 years ago.

But congrats on your “objectivity” and apologist attitude. The Buckeyes and Bama fans appreciate your support, I’m sure.
But college football has always been that way. What is so different about the last 20 years? In any given year, there have always been 115 or so teams with no shot of winning anything of substance.

In any era, the sport is run by 5-6 schools at the top. The "membership" of that group changes over time (i.e., in the 1990s Clemson/Alabama/Ohio St were nowhere to be found in it and Tennessee/Florida St/Nebraska were 3 of the 5-6 dominant schools) but it has always been a small group of dominant schools that run it.

But college football has always been that way. What is so different about the last 20 years? In any given year, there have always been 115 or so teams with no shot of winning anything of substance.

In any era, the sport is run by 5-6 schools at the top. The "membership" of that group changes over time (i.e., in the 1990s Clemson/Alabama/Ohio St were nowhere to be found in it and Tennessee/Florida St/Nebraska were 3 of the 5-6 dominant schools) but it has always been a small group of dominant schools that run it.

The parity has always been this big? Name one team in the last 40 years as dominant as Bama has been the last 15. How long did the run of UT, UF, and Nebraska last? How long has it ran for Clemson? Bama? OSU? How long do you think it will continue?

It hasn’t always been like this.

The parity has always been this big? Name one team in the last 40 years as dominant as Bama has been the last 15. How long did the run of UT, UF, and Nebraska last? How long has it ran for Clemson? Bama? OSU? How long do you think it will continue?

I agree with your post. There has always been a top tier of schools who cycle up and back down before cycling up again. But the stability of the top 3 we're seeing now is unprecedented.

The parity has always been this big? Name one team in the last 40 years as dominant as Bama has been the last 15.

What Bama is doing is unprecedented. For that to be indicative of a global problem within the sport, then you're assuming what is unprecedented will become the norm. That assumption is problematic.

Alabama's run of titles is unprecedented, yes. But their run of being a dominant team is not.

Florida St finished in the top 5 every single year from 1987 to 2000. That is absolutely nuts, and something that not even Alabama under Saban has approached (Saban has finished outside the top 5 five times in 14 years at Alabama). Yes, Saban has reached the mountain top more times than Bowden, but Bowden actually had a longer run of being a consistently dominant team.

Tom Osborne finished in the top 10 75% of the time while at Nebraska (18 times in 24 years) and he capped his career with 3 titles in 4 seasons, which is something Saban also did from 2009-2012.

Only if only the majority follow the rules while a minority do not.

The business has always mattered more than the sport. Sports that can't be monetized will be relegated to driveways, parks, and backyards.

We have professional cornhole and ax throwing leagues. I shiznit you not. Content for 7 X 24 cable tv requires something be put on other than the low budget Piyo & Larry King paid for ads show.

Lmao! Somebody got paid. Ol' Rush saw his paycheck disappearing and found another way to make some money.

Gotta hand it to him finding new innovative ways to make some money.

Right. Someone at Bama and/or UGA committed a crime in order to get Rush to shut up about claims about which he couldn't testify even if he'd been willing to do so. Makes perfect sense.

Right. Someone at Bama and/or UGA committed a crime in order to get Rush to shut up about claims about which he couldn't testify even if he'd been willing to do so. Makes perfect sense.

If it's plausible players are being payed thousands of dollars every year, then why would it be less plausible for someone who knows about it to be paid to keep quiet about it?

There are millions of dollars at stake if someone with proof tells what they know.

And truth be known, you have no idea what Rush knows or has proof of. Your opinion is no more or less valid than mine.

If it's plausible players are being payed thousands of dollars every year, then why would it be less plausible for someone who knows about it to be paid to keep quiet about it?

He doesn't know about it. At best he was repeating rumors.

There are millions of dollars at stake if someone with proof tells what they know.

He has no proof.

And truth be known, you have no idea what Rush knows or has proof of. Your opinion is no more or less valid than mine.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of speculation vs known fact. Rush looks out for Rush. He said this stuff in an attempt to milk money out of the dude that taped him. If Rush actually knew a fraction of what he claimed, he'd have used it long before now, and would have used it against the schools rather than somr local high school booster.

He doesn't know about it. At best he was repeating rumors.

He has no proof.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of speculation vs known fact. Rush looks out for Rush. He said this stuff in an attempt to milk money out of the dude that taped him. If Rush actually knew a fraction of what he claimed, he'd have used it long before now, and would have used it against the schools rather than somr local high school booster.

Facts are that all these big schools pay players. You've as much as admitted it yourself.

These programs aren't bastions of truth and righteousness. Ask them is they pay players and you get "of course not".

Pruitt wasn't smart enough to keep a layer of plausible deniabilibilty between him and what was going on. He didn't invent the paying of players on his own. It was learned behavior, he was just a crappy student.

So if you can admit that these programs pay players, but deny it in public, then what you have are 3 liars. Two are denying what is pretty common knowledge, one is claiming that it goes on, but not recants.

Who is more believable? The ones who put on a front for the public, but are actually guilty. Or the one that everyone knows is a scumbag, but has been around the high school and college programs for years and has seen its dirty underbelly?

Then you have fans like you, who would rather cut out your own tongue than admit that there might be a grain of truth to what Rush said.

And to think that a booster wouldn't throw some money at Rush to shut him up is certainly believable.

Not saying that's what happened. Rush could have been full of crap and shooting off his mouth.

And the affidavits the others signed mean about as much as the one Rush signed. It's basically he said/they said. Rush has enough issues as it is and he doesn't need another court case.

But if you can't step back from being a fan and see that all parties are basically liars in this case and the truth could be any number of scenarios, and that we will never know what really took place, then we don't need to continue this conversation. You will have proven yourself a delusional fanboy and no amount of reasonable debate will change that.

VN Store

Back