George Quarles

Wow.. what a run he had though.. Maybe even bigger things are on the horizon for him. Man definitely has some skills. Will be interesting to see how Maryville continues. Good luck George...

Reactions: 1 person
What a mean-spirited post. I'm sure you did not know the man and, frankly, I don't think I would want to be around anyone you did like. Jeesh....
If you don't like it, why quote it, you repeat everything I just said, which is the like affirming it.

Get over it, hater.

Derek Rang might be a good replacement. Maryville Alum who just coached Dresden to a state championship.

Good riddance?? George is one of the finest, most upstanding, men I've ever known. He's a great coach, teacher, and leader of young men AND women. Good riddance?? Are you nuts???

For those who can't stand Maryville?

Yeah.

About time. He should have moved on years ago. Some folks did some things to "supplement" his income, which kept him around. I doubt his wife will have a cushy bank job.

Best paid driver's ed. teacher in the state. I'm sure he's just fan, but I never liked the guy.

this driver's ed teacher was also an athletic director...you need a life if you can't feel good about this man. you must have lost to him often on the playing field

Reactions: 4 people
Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on the coach that leads the team instead of the community that surrounds it.
And you are putting WAY too much emphasis on the community. We've seen it time and time again, coaches who have great athletes do absolutely nothing with it. I think you will be sorry he is gone. He is one of the best game planners and in game coaches I've seen in a long time. Furthermore, Maryville was rarely the most talented team in the playoffs but seem to win almost every year. That is not because of a community but coaching. :loco:

Quarles started his career at Maryville by losing the first four games. He was 10-7 at one time and then ended up 250-16. In 18 years, he made it to the semi finals of the state playoffs 17 years, the finals 16 and won 13? Somebody from Maryville can check me on some of that.

He and Carlton Flatt are the two most successful TSSAA Football coaches in the last 50 years.

Furman's website says Drew Cronic was just hired as OC and QB coach. What is going on?

You completely missed the point, 6A teams gotta be sick of losing to CGQ. Think he has the potential to be The next Malzahn. :yes:

I was thinking the same thing. East TN coaches are going to be thrilled that coach Quarles is moving on!

Just heard from a buddy at MHS that he's going to be TE coach and assistant head coach. Not OC.
Interesting! Seems like he really just wanted to work with his buddy.

Whoever gets the Maryville job will have big shoes to fill and good luck to Quarles at Furman.

this driver's ed teacher was also an athletic director...you need a life if you can't feel good about this man. you must have lost to him often on the playing field general

Hah!!
Funny how you think throwing shade at me is OK, but saying you don't like GQ is somehow a mortal sin. Whaahhhhhh.

Hah!!
Funny how you think throwing shade at me is OK, but saying you don't like GQ is somehow a mortal sin. Whaahhhhhh.

What exactly do you have against GQ. By all accounts, he is an excellent leader, active in the community and oh yeah, a superb coach. He's humble, respectful and a pillar of the community. I've honestly never heard anyone say anything bad about him other than sour grapes after Maryville won a state title seemingly every year.

What exactly do you have against GQ. By all accounts, he is an excellent leader, active in the community and oh yeah, a superb coach. He's humble, respectful and a pillar of the community. I've honestly never heard anyone say anything bad about him other than sour grapes after Maryville won a state title seemingly every year.

Lots of people on the losing end of that 240-9 streak are understandably not happy about it.

I'm a huge fan of anyone who can dominate to that extreme and I've loved watching his teams play all these years. He'll be missed.

Lots of people on the losing end of that 240-9 streak are understandably not happy about it.

I'm a huge fan of anyone who can dominate to that extreme and I've loved watching his teams play all these years. He'll be missed.

Agreed and he did it with class too.

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on the coach that leads the team instead of the community that surrounds it.

Being from North Georgia, I can tell you that when Dalton High School football coach Bill Chappell retired, that program went from dynasty to obscurity pretty quickly. Yes the head coach does matter, especially at the high school level.

An they can go back to being plain ol' Murvul agin!

VN Store

Back