Geno-An Opportunistic Infection?

Texas

I’m hesitant to start a new thread as when I joined I got harshly criticized for starting them. However, I’ve not come across one discussing some questions I’ve had about Geno. The title is harsher than I’d like the content to be but I couldn’t resist.

My issue is that he flogs his players at every media opportunity that arises for him. It’s degrading and disrespectful. He came around in a time before sexual harassment had any real definition let alone teeth. Women were gaslit by men to feel some semblance of power while being kept under the thumb of a rude man.

Now in the 2020s women are truly becoming empowered and are coaching empowerment and being built up rather than torn down to become better. Now we have middle ranked players outplaying the alleged cream of the crop.

Perhaps his style is outdated and a new era of basketball begins. I’d like to see players recognize this and move on.

I believe we sat next to Christyn Williams’ parents and at breakfast this morning and I believe they were irate. I’d be too if Geno is in the media insulting the entire team saying Paige doesn’t have any support. I think Williams outplayed her in their last 2 games. I just don’t think that makes a player better.

Program wins 95% of its games and makes twelve - TWELVE - straight Final Fours, winning half of them, but they lose the last one so now it's "middle ranked players outplaying the cream of the crop." If a team winning 350+ games and half the national titles in a decade is "middle ranked players outplaying the cream of the crop" then I hope Tennessee can "get outplayed" by middle ranked players too.

Geno has been reported as having a "foul" mouth with profanity, profanity, and more profanity being the make up. Who would want their daughter playing for that "jerk". Pat Summit refused to play him after the statements that he made about her and her divorce to the mother of the girl they were recruiting in Georgia. Was pleased that Arizona completely embarrassed him by beating him by 10 points in the final four game. Guess the girl who transferred from the Lady Vols to UConn found out the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence too.

He criticized his players and said that starts with us.

While he shouldn’t be so critical to me it seemed they got caught in a we will “win because we’re UCONN mindset” and paid for it.

Congrats to the pesky wildcats

But, everyone says he’s the greatest coach. After all these years, it sounds like what he is saying is similar to a common Holly refrain. Something about coaching effort?

I have read from parents of players that they have a support group for the players given that which you speak seems to be the accepted norm. And the belief is that the discipline he exerts makes for better players, those that can endure it. AND many do, and those that can't transfer. Last year Auburn coach - stated the same thing re her players and they left in mass. She won no SEC games this year and has now been replaced. Difference? obviously wins.

I’m hesitant to start a new thread as when I joined I got harshly criticized for starting them. However, I’ve not come across one discussing some questions I’ve had about Geno. The title is harsher than I’d like the content to be but I couldn’t resist.

My issue is that he flogs his players at every media opportunity that arises for him. It’s degrading and disrespectful. He came around in a time before sexual harassment had any real definition let alone teeth. Women were gaslit by white men to feel some semblance of power while being kept under the thumb of a rude man.

Now in the 2020s women are truly becoming empowered and are coaching empowerment and being built up rather than torn down to become better. Now we have middle ranked players outplaying the alleged cream of the crop.

Perhaps his style is outdated and a new era of basketball begins. I’d like to see players recognize this and move on.

I am no fan of Geno' style but I suspec that the Geno you see in public may be a bit different than the one you see behind the scenes. His players seem to have a lot of affection toward him. Geno's thing has always been that he coaches his players like guys (whatever that exactly means) and there is a lot of players that like that "are you tough enough" orientation. When Geno talked about immaturity, he was asked to respond to a statement that Paige Beuckers made on the order of, "we did not expect this game to be so tough" and Geno was exasperated by that statement and said it is a sign of being an immature team that gets too full of themselves when it is going well and that he did not coach them well enough to change that.

Honestly, this presser was one of the few times, where I think Geno came off really well. He has young team and he said they need to grow up and get mentally tougher if they want to get to the final four. That statement is not gaslighting; I think it is an honest assessment. And maybe he felt that the message had not been getting across, so taking it public was the next recourse.

This in stark contrast to Dawn (yeah I'm going to brag on Dawn) who immediately went to Beal and Boston after our FF game to tell them it was OK.

Geno comes across as a real a**hole. I have no doubt that the recruitment of Maya Moore was not on the up and up. Probably lots of skeletons there that will never see the light of day.

Last edited:
Google is your friend.

"As good as Paige was this year -- and she carried our team through most of the season -- that's not how you win championships, with one player having to do everything," Auriemma said. "She needs to get a lot better. As good as you all think she is -- and she's really good -- if we're going to be here the next couple years with her at Connecticut, she needs to get a lot better. I don't mean just on the court either."
Paige Bueckers' sensational freshman season comes to a close in women's Final Four

I am no fan of Geno' style but I suspec that the Geno you see in public may be a bit different than the one you see behind the scenes. His players seem to have a lot of affection toward him. Geno's thing has always been that he coaches his players like guys (whatever that exactly means) and there is a lot of players that like that "are you tough enough" orientation. When Geno talked about immaturity, he was asked to respond to a statement that Paige Beuckers made on the order of, "we did not expect this game to be so tough" and Geno was exasperated by that statement and said it is a sign of being an immature team that gets too full of themselves when it is going well and that he did not coach them well enough to change that.

Honestly, this presser was one of the few times, where I think Geno came off really well. He has young team and he said they need to grow up and get mentally tougher if they want to get to the final four. That statement is not gaslighting; I think it is an honest assessment. And maybe he felt that the message had not been getting across, so taking it public was the next recourse.

My issue is that he flogs his players at every media opportunity that arises for him. It’s degrading and disrespectful. He came around in a time before sexual harassment had any real definition let alone teeth. Women were gaslit by white men to feel some semblance of power while being kept under the thumb of a rude man.

???? Way too deep for me.

When Geno talked about immaturity, he was asked to respond to a statement that Paige Beuckers made on the order of, "we did not expect this game to be so tough" and Geno was exasperated by that statement and said it is a sign of being an immature team that gets too full of themselves when it is going well and that he did not coach them well enough to change that.

He knows that winning on the court follows winning off the court. It's an attitude and it has to inform every day, not just game days, not just the forty minutes on the court. He also knows that Bueckers is a pillar of the team for the next three years, and she more than anyone else on their roster has got to exemplify that attitude. Even if he's talking about more players than just her, she is the "star" and she is going to set the example for everyone, so he's going to push her. His job is to get that ability out of her, not just for her sake, but for the program's sake as well.

Train em like guys, treat em like girls

Reactions: BreatheUT
What’s crazy to me, is that Geno is 67 years old. He ain’t no spring chicken. I think people are realizing UCONN isn’t the team it use to be. Funny Evina thought switching teams would automatically get her a championship.

Geno is slipping and his program is slipping. This is the 4th straight year the women's championship is being played without UConn. Pushing the idea it's their's to lose every season is outdated. He of course promotes that and the media eats it up but it's a sign when you're the media darling but don't bring home the gold. Ana Kournikova had a great career as a tennis player until the public began to wonder where her championships were. She couldn't even get modeling gigs after awhile.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Geno is slipping and his program is slipping....... Ana Kournikova had a great career as a tennis player until the public began to wonder where her championships were. She couldn't even get modeling gigs after awhile.

Geno in a G-String........hummm.........hummm......I don't think so.

Reactions: sisaq

VN Store

Back