Gene Chizik should be our target

As opposed to shelling out 1.5 million to guys who haven’t even called plays? I have a feeling you will get your wish and it’s going to play out in pretty bad fashion. Maybe we hire some one with experience we will see
Dude check his resume. He won the Natty

He’s been around football. And he hasn’t forgotten. He wanted to spend time with his daughters before they graduated and that’s what he did. Mack just might, he knows him well and good coaches.

These aren’t reasons to hire him as a DC. Chi zoo isn’t a very good coach. If he was, he would be coaching.

These aren’t reasons to hire him as a DC. Chi zoo isn’t a very good coach. If he was, he would be coaching.
Lmao are you kidding me. Look at what he did at UNC alone. He is now to coaching because he chose family. His kids are older now and he would probably seriously consider it

He inherited a train wreck of talent and defense at UNC. In 2014 UNC ranked 120th giving up 40 points a game. In the first year with Chizik the UNC defense moved to 42nd overall and shaved off 16 points per game. That’s including the Baylor fiasco which again was on Fedora. In 2016 UNC was 43rd overall and the same scoring wise.
In 2017 Chizik is gone and UNC is 88th overall and allowing 8 more points per game. In 2018 UNC is 106th overall and allowing over 11 more points a game.
Just saying the guy is damn good and we’d be more than fortunate to have him. And he’s worked with Garner

According to the numbers I found, his UNC defenses ranked #96 in 2015, and #63 in 2016. That's a long ways from the #42 and #43 you claim. My numbers came from the NCAA. Where'd you find yours?

FYI, having the #63 defense on an ACC team would most likely come in ranked even lower against an SEC schedule, especially when you play UF, UGA, and Bama every year. And if he was that good, why hasn't another team picked him up in the last 4 years? Maybe he wasn't ready to get back in to coaching just yet. Maybe the right job wasn't there. Who knows? In any event, Butch Jones found another coaching gig quicker than Chizik did / has.

If Chizik is your guy, fine. To each their own. As for me, I think Chizik is past both his prime and his peak. We need a rising star, not a fading veteran of the game. His time has come, and passed. He has a good gig with the SECN, his NC trophy, and the never-to-be-told secrets of how Cam Newton ended up on the Plains. He should cherish them all.

Now, can we get serious about finding the right DC?

Go Vols.

He has a cushy job as a FB analyst on the SECNW. No way he leaves that, especially to come to the train wreck of TN FB right now. I really wish they would hire a DC so this DC nomination process will end. I even saw a post suggesting Chavis! Please Mr. White, hire someone and stop the madness!!!
Why are so many hung up on has been in Knoxville? For the life of me....

Gene is clearly a talented defensive mind. But he does appear to enjoy his time with the SEC network and also is very active as a motivational speaker as well. Very much in demand at events. But you never know. Coaches have a different drive so we definitely could do worse (I thought I would use one of Volnation's worn out phrases for effect.)

media guys have it made. He’s made money not coaching, no stress, no recruiting, no fans to please with unrealistic expectations. If he wanted back in he would have done it years ago.

Why not call? Everyone else has been called. What's one more?:confused:

According to the numbers I found, his UNC defenses ranked #96 in 2015, and #63 in 2016. That's a long ways from the #42 and #43 you claim. My numbers came from the NCAA. Where'd you find yours?

FYI, having the #63 defense on an ACC team would most likely come in ranked even lower against an SEC schedule, especially when you play UF, UGA, and Bama every year. And if he was that good, why hasn't another team picked him up in the last 4 years? Maybe he wasn't ready to get back in to coaching just yet. Maybe the right job wasn't there. Who knows? In any event, Butch Jones found another coaching gig quicker than Chizik did / has.

If Chizik is your guy, fine. To each their own. As for me, I think Chizik is past both his prime and his peak. We need a rising star, not a fading veteran of the game. His time has come, and passed. He has a good gig with the SECN, his NC trophy, and the never-to-be-told secrets of how Cam Newton ended up on the Plains. He should cherish them all.

Go Vols.
A good summary.

The other issue with Chizik is compatibility. This reeks of the Charlie Weiss experiment at UF. Muschamp is the hot, young coaching prospect/D mastermind. UF's solution was to pair him with Charlie's fat ass and the outcome was as expected. It bombed and Charlie got another buyout.

The last thing Heupel needs is a 'has been' with a .500 career coaching record (way worse if you take out the single great season of 13-0 in 2010) telling him 'how it's done in the big leagues.' It was probably similar to Pruitt's experience with Phil.

I think Chizik is a disaster waiting to happen at UT. Get a young guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Gus and Cam won the Natty while Gene just happened to be the head coach.

You don't go from losing record at ISU to Natty without a LOT of help.

Just like Johnny Majors did!:confused:

Go Vols.
These are the numbers.
He inherited a train wreck of talent and defense at UNC. In 2014 UNC ranked 120th giving up 40 points a game. In the first year with Chizik the UNC defense moved to 42nd overall and shaved off 16 points per game. That’s including the Baylor fiasco which again was on Fedora. In 2016 UNC was 43rd overall and the same scoring wise.
In 2017 Chizik is gone and UNC is 88th overall and allowing 8 more points per game. In 2018 UNC is 106th overall and allowing over 11 more points a game.
Just saying the guy is damn good and we’d be more than fortunate to have him. And he’s worked with Garner

Unless the college version of Cam Newton is coming with him, I digress.

Actually, no. Never mind. I'll take anyone at this point.

I doubt Cheese-It would take the job.......it is obvious to me that he relishes his role as studio analyst @ the SECN; what's more, he is actually pretty good at it. Being a good analyst has almost nothing to do with being a good DC or even position coach.......his record in 2011-2012 was awful.....the gusbus had more to do with that 2010 natty than Gene did

Let's make it happen.
Only way it will happen is if every minority Defensive coach turns us down.
Pretty clear that’s what they are after.
Nothing wrong with hiring one, I’d be extremely happy with some,
But if you put a list together with the intent to hire the best available, I’m pretty sure if you get down past 5-6 you’re gonna run into a white guy.
If you skip over him then you’re not trying to hire the best available and being the best you can.

Reactions: alvinkamara

VN Store

Back