GBOP's Tennessee Kentucky Post Game Analysis

GBOplayer

Key points and takeaways from the TN/Kentucky basketball game

1. KY's frontcourt completely dominated. We had no solutions for PJ Washington. Once he got going we were in trouble because they were getting high percentage shots and we got into foul trouble (Kyle Alexander fouled out and eventually so did Schofield). I believe KY shot an absurdly high percentage and when our defense was focusing on the paint they kicked it out for good shots. KY's post defense kept Grant Williams and Alexander in check and our outside shots were not falling at all despite many open looks

2. If Bowden and Turner cannot make their shots, then we are in trouble. This was our problem last year as well. During big games we couldn't make our outside shots. Admiral Schofield missed some open looks as well

3. Why did coach Barnes not switch to a 2-3 zone earlier? We were getting smoked early in the 2nd half and needed a change to throw off KY's balance. By the time we switched it was too late.

4. Granted, we will not always have a bad shooting game, but our weaknesses showed tonight which includes lack of frontcourt depth, and inconsistent outside shooting

There were a lot of issues. Refs weren't great for some stretches that caused us to get into early foul trouble. And we seemed to play tight for the first 28 minutes.

But having said all that IF Schofield, Turner and Bowden don't go 1 for 17 from three, this is a closer game at the end where we aren't fouling constantly. If they just hit 3 or 4 of those, it's a completely different ball game.

I think we win the last 6. GBO!

Reactions: feathersax
There were a lot of issues. Refs weren't great for some stretches that caused us to get into early foul trouble. And we seemed to play tight for the first 28 minutes.

But having said all that IF Schofield, Turner and Bowden don't go 1 for 17 from three, this is a closer game at the end where we aren't fouling constantly. If they just hit 3 or 4 of those, it's a completely different ball game.

I think we win the last 6. GBO!

You simply cannot win against good teams and do that. 90% of these were uncontested, got our feet set, & squared the shoulders shots too. UK decided that we would NOT defeat them in the post. They left us plenty of opportunity from 3. We wilted. This is what killed us the first 10-12 minutes vs KU as well.
It happens. And honestly, nothing else in the game really matters if you shoot that bad.

Key points and takeaways from the TN/Kentucky basketball game

1. KY's frontcourt completely dominated. We had no solutions for PJ Washington. Once he got going we were in trouble because they were getting high percentage shots and we got into foul trouble (Kyle Alexander fouled out and eventually so did Schofield). I believe KY shot an absurdly high percentage and when our defense was focusing on the paint they kicked it out for good shots. KY's post defense kept Grant Williams and Alexander in check and our outside shots were not falling at all despite many open looks

2. If Bowden and Turner cannot make their shots, then we are in trouble. This was our problem last year as well. During big games we couldn't make our outside shots. Admiral Schofield missed some open looks as well

3. Why did coach Barnes not switch to a 2-3 zone earlier? We were getting smoked early in the 2nd half and needed a change to throw off KY's balance. By the time we switched it was too late.

4. Granted, we will not always have a bad shooting game, but our weaknesses showed tonight which includes lack of frontcourt depth, and inconsistent outside shooting
5. It was a mugging by Kentucky and the Vols were the victims. They got mugged early and allowed it to keep their offense out of sync all night long. This team is at its best when they pass the ball around and find the open man to get an easy look for a wide open shot either from 3, midrange, or down low. Kentucky mugged Tennessee and the refs allowed it. It was certainly garbage basketball by Kentucky.

Bottom line, if you can't hit wide open shots ( Turner, Bowden, Schofield) against great teams , you're going to lose 99% of the time. So far this season, we have been fortunate that one of our guards has been able to knock down some 3's when teams prevent us from working in the paint. Not so last night. I was also very disappointed in Alexander. He showed he does not like physical games. We are soft in the post and Washington schooled everyone. I was calling for a zone defense with 10 minutes in the first half. The rest of the teams we play are going to make us beat them from outside the arc, let's just hope Bowden and Turner play better than they did last night or it's going to be a bumpy ride the rest of the way.

Look folks ..KY played better were more physical inside ... sure the game was physical and the number of fouls against us was lopsided ... and I will admit they way bodies were flying around and then they call a couple nit picky fouls on Turner .. hard to explain that .. but anyway ..KY shot 54 percect - beat us bad on boards ..let the Hero kid stand in the lane and get straight rebounds with Fulkerson and Schofield there and they didnt even get off the ground .. effort for rebounds was difference ..and Alexander is soft in these games ... he gets pushed around and was a non factor against their bigs ... Grant looked very tired even in 1st half wasnt working to get ball down low like normal ..I still think something up with him ..maybe been sick or ?? but for him to only get 4 shots they didnt good job of defending him ..and the real BIG reason we lost is settling for 3's ..... Schofield, Bowden and Turner combine for 1 for 15 from 3 point line .. thats it all in a nutshell .. hopefully game is officiated more closely here ..cause KY has alot more size than we do with TRavis , Washington and Richards inside ... out 6'5 and 6'6 guys just couldnt play that physical with them .. .and our bigs Alexander , Fulkerson and Walker are soft inside ... especially Fulkerson ..he was lost and did nothing ... as well as Alexander ... Ky is avery good defensive team ..they got hands on alot of passes .. Ky had more rebounds , more offensive rebounds , more assists , more steals , 6 blocks to our 1 ... we actually won the turnover battle 11- 9 ... but thye shot 55 percent and we shot 41 percent ... we shot 25 = 3 pointers and they shot 13 and they made alsmost as many as we did ... fact is officials didnt loose this game .. Barnes I bet never mentioned officials in post game ... so quit whinning and get better ... KY played better ... and get this they were favored to win this game .............. facts

Look folks ..KY played better were more physical inside ... sure the game was physical and the number of fouls against us was lopsided ... and I will admit they way bodies were flying around and then they call a couple nit picky fouls on Turner .. hard to explain that .. but anyway ..KY shot 54 percect - beat us bad on boards ..let the Hero kid stand in the lane and get straight rebounds with Fulkerson and Schofield there and they didnt even get off the ground .. effort for rebounds was difference ..and Alexander is soft in these games ... he gets pushed around and was a non factor against their bigs ... Grant looked very tired even in 1st half wasnt working to get ball down low like normal ..I still think something up with him ..maybe been sick or ?? but for him to only get 4 shots they didnt good job of defending him ..and the real BIG reason we lost is settling for 3's ..... Schofield, Bowden and Turner combine for 1 for 15 from 3 point line .. thats it all in a nutshell .. hopefully game is officiated more closely here ..cause KY has alot more size than we do with TRavis , Washington and Richards inside ... out 6'5 and 6'6 guys just couldnt play that physical with them .. .and our bigs Alexander , Fulkerson and Walker are soft inside ... especially Fulkerson ..he was lost and did nothing ... as well as Alexander ... Ky is avery good defensive team ..they got hands on alot of passes .. Ky had more rebounds , more offensive rebounds , more assists , more steals , 6 blocks to our 1 ... we actually won the turnover battle 11- 9 ... but thye shot 55 percent and we shot 41 percent ... we shot 25 = 3 pointers and they shot 13 and they made alsmost as many as we did ... fact is officials didnt loose this game .. Barnes I bet never mentioned officials in post game ... so quit whinning and get better ... KY played better ... and get this they were favored to win this game .............. f

Going to have to play a 2-3 zone next time we play KY. We need some "beef" in the middle. Alexander, Fulky and Walker are all too weak

I kept screaming at the TV for Vols to run their offense. Felt like more often than not they walked the ball up and just quickly missed a 3.

It was a very disappointing effort. Knew it would be a tough game to win, but thought it would be a lot more competitive than it turned out to be. The first 8 minutes of second half were a kick to the pants.

You simply cannot win against good teams and do that. 90% of these were uncontested, got our feet set, & squared the shoulders shots too. UK decided that we would NOT defeat them in the post. They left us plenty of opportunity from 3. We wilted. This is what killed us the first 10-12 minutes vs KU as well.
It happens. And honestly, nothing else in the game really matters if you shoot that bad.[/QU
Kentucky would have won easily against LSU if they had shot the ball like they did against us last night....

we don't have enough beef in the post to hang with teams like KY. Alexander, Fulky, Walker are all way too weak and soft to try and play man against teams like KY. We had no answer for Washington. Barnes better be working on a 2-3 zone unless he wants a repeat in Knoxville

Reactions: 08Vol and 10cpride
On your #1 - KY doubled the post on D whereas we didn’t therefore their post defense looked better. We passed out of the double team but missed the open jumpers. I assume CRB decided before the game that we couldn’t risk leaving their shooters open to double in the post? Wasn’t like KY had some superior post D, we just couldn’t hit our jumpers. We start draining the open shots, then KY would have to have quit doubling the post and GW would have worked his game.

Reactions: cardvolfan
well, time for me to man up and congratulate the Cats players and staff...the best game I've seen them play all year...totally dominant, everywhere, and we had no answer at all...round 1 to the Cats...can't wait for round 2...and,

GO VOLS!!

Reactions: savannahfan
We have now seen this team Panic under Duress....Refs are not the same...3 blind mice...It's not the fact that they missed some calls they missed a lot.

There is no way we win if we respond in kind so we got raped and had to take it. Big Blue $$$ and threatening lawsuits for the LSU game had more to do with this than many of us think.

It is like blackmail or embezzling a win...You owe us and if you don't deliver we are going to sue you.

NCAA has lost control for sometime now and really has zero experience or authority to rule on these type events nor will they.

Positive, CRB got heated but never really lost his cool. Same as ever, maybe this team will get it.
Positive, CRB will fix this...

We got beat no doubt. Would have lost the game.... It appears our players may have conceded as a gimme before we got there, but we had a chance at tipoff.

Turner & Bowden 0-11 from downtown equals loss 90% of the time, especially when the other team is playing their best game. Learn from it, move on. SEC championship is still ours if we take care of business.

We are not a good rebounding team and Kentucky exposed that. GW and AS are strong but were out muscled by Travis and Washington. Grant looked off. Next game they will need to match physicality of Kentucky and force Wahongton to work a little harder before he even catches the ball. Show some more zone but work harder on the glass. We ran into a buzz saw but shot really poorly. We have stuff to work in but a loss like this can help us in the long run. Congratulations to UK. They played well

Reactions: orange plasma
We are not a good rebounding team and Kentucky exposed that. GW and AS are strong but were out muscled by Travis and Washington. Grant looked off. Next game they will need to match physicality of Kentucky and force Wahongton to work a little harder before he even catches the ball. Show some more zone but work harder on the glass. We ran into a buzz saw but shot really poorly. We have stuff to work in but a loss like this can help us in the long run. Congratulations to UK. They played well

They turned it into a UFC fight and the Vols clearly weren’t ready for a physical battle. They had no answer for Washington until they went to the zone defense. Bottom line is they were mugged by Kentucky and they let it take them out of their game.

Reactions: sport3500 and 08Vol
Tennessee was not going to go undefeated in SEC play and Kentucky outfought UT last night and I think this loss will help UT get refocused for the rest of the season and tournament action.

VN Store

Back