Gave up 28 in 4th quarter

Correct. But our moral Victory fans will make you think otherwise.

Every game gas its own variables. That's why I hate it when they give clout to margin of victory and tougher schedule comparisons. Then apply to the top 25 rankings. 2 teams can play a 10-3 game and then a month later 35-28. Games are different and teams match up differently with one another. Florida game stats we were even if not slightly better on the stat sheet. Not scoreboard though. What's the difference?
We don't have the talent or depth to beat an Alabama at this point. We are exceeding expectations with our effort and coaching but we are still getting waxed by the better teams. Pretty straight forward with no excuses

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...
Unlike Alabama we have very little depth at any position.
The more we win the better our recruiting and position depth will get.
No quit in this team or coaches.
GBO

I have pretty much realized we are not beating a Saban led Bama. We won't win till he retires. It's going to take 5 yrs to get comparable talent, by then he will have retired. We may have a close game between now and then, but the curse of Rohan Davey's mom won't allow it.

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...

Ummm, let me try…maybe because Bama’s 3-deep is as good or better than our first team?

What this means:
Alabama can sub players in and out with very little drop off.
We don’t have the quality depth to do that yet, so fatigue starts playing a factor late in games.

Hope this helps.

Like a boxer getting hit in the body for 10-11 rounds and dropped his hands. We need a full roster to keep a d on the field 80 plays a game. But so much of that was lack of pass rush. We blitz, the QB escapes. We play zone and be finds the open receiver.

Is it more his coaching genius or the fact that he outtalents nearly every team he plays. The age-old dilemma.
Saban relentlessly culls his roster to ensure he has the best 85 top to bottom. It didn’t work so well at the next level. He was just another coach.

Is it more his coaching genius or the fact that he outtalents nearly every team he plays. The age-old dilemma.

Being able to get the talent there is a big part of coaching. Think about what he did a few years back in the NC game against UGA. Jalen Hurts had only lost like 1-2 games as a starter. UGA was handling Bama. Then Saban decides to pull Hurts and put Tua in. The rest is history. Saban has won at the highest level with countless numbers of coordinators.

Trust me, it’s his coaching.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Saban relentlessly culls his roster to ensure he has the best 85 top to bottom. It didn’t work so well at the next level. He was just another coach.

The NFL has nothing to do with it. Oh and since you brought up the NFL, his Miami team blanked Tom Brady and the Pats in 2006.

We were more talented than virtually every team we played from the late 80s until early 00s. That's a fact. How many national championships did we win in that period? It's absolutely about coaching.

Last year at home with more depth across the board we were down 14-3 after 1, 21-3 midway through the 2nd, 35-10 30 seconds into the 3rd, 42-10 at the start of the 4th.

This year in Tuscaloosa we were up 14-7 after one, tied at 14 midway through 2, down 21-17 midway through 3, down 24-17 to start the 4th, down 31-24 several minutes into the 4th.

The home fans were so silent that you could hear our fans singing Rocky Top as late as the 4th quarter. We lost and Alabama ran it up late because they needed style points and got short fields vs a tired defense. But we were way way more competitive this year vs last even after losing 30 players to the portal including almost every top recruit from the upper classmen ranks. Add to it the playing walk-on OL, having nothing at linebacker to spell anyone, and typical Alabama holding on all offensive plays because they know that 95 percent of them will be ignored and it was a miracle performance by the team.

What I really never get is that a certain group of posters talk about how Bama is going to kill us all season. Then when we are surprisingly competitive their narrative shifts to we should be playing even better than we are, as they rip every little thing Heupel calls. Later, when the game gets out of hand late, they act like they hadn't been saying Bama was going to murder us all season and demand to know why Bama did what they'd been predicting all along anyway.

Last year at home with more depth across the board we were down 14-3 after 1, 21-3 midway through the 2nd, 35-10 30 seconds into the 3rd, 42-10 at the start of the 4th.

This year in Tuscaloosa we were up 14-7 after one, tied at 14 midway through 2, down 21-17 midway through 3, down 24-17 to start the 4th, down 31-24 several minutes into the 4th.

The home fans were so silent that you could hear our fans singing Rocky Top as late as the 4th quarter. We lost and Alabama ran it up late because they needed style points and got short fields vs a tired defense. But we were way way more competitive this year vs last even after losing 30 players to the portal including almost every top recruit from the upper classmen ranks. Add to it the playing walk-on OL, having nothing at linebacker to spell anyone, and typical Alabama holding on all offensive plays because they know that 95 percent of them will be ignored and it was a miracle performance by the team.

What I really never get is that a certain group of posters talk about how Bama is going to kill us all season. Then when we are surprisingly competitive their narrative shifts to we should be playing even better than we are, as they rip every little thing Heupel calls. Later, when the game gets out of hand late, they act like they hadn't been saying Bama was going to murder us all season and demand to know why Bama did what they'd been predicting all along anyway.
You got it. It's the few the mustard crust you can't get rid of .

Sure. It's such a momentum killer for your defense to get a turnover, only for your offense to give it right back. It reminds me of the 2008 season, I think. Outstanding defense that year, but the offense couldn't do jack squat. So any good the defense did, the offense made it moot.

I think the defense has played exceptionally well this year, given the challenges we have had. I think the offense has shown some signs of greatness, and has shown what it CAN be, but I think the consistency is lacking. I think consistency will come with time, and with added talent.

If I am Coach Heupel (and I am definitely not, so my opinion matters nil), I am focusing heavily on offensive linemen and defensive players. That seems to be our weakest links, and where we need depth and skill the most.

Overall, I am loving the direction this program is headed. I absolutely HATE that people who see that score on paper without watching the game will think we got blown out or dominated. Those of us who watched the game know that it was a far different story.

We are gaining ground and headed in the right direction. Just gonna take time and talent.
I agree. We need OLinemen and LBers more than any other position by far. I saw #38, Page for one series. I thought he was the starter but #24, Beasley, played almost the entire game and he's just not experienced enough. Bama knew it and went in his direction a lot. We have absolutely no depth, (with talent), at LBer and that's one reason opposing QB's seem to run at will against us. We need to practice containing opponent's running QB's while on a bye week.

To many 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter led to exhaustion in 4th. When they scored their last td they did it in 2 plays and put the defense right back on the field with no rest.

I don't understand the defensive play calling especially on 3rd down. They live the middle wode open!

We don't have the talent or depth to beat an Alabama at this point. We are exceeding expectations with our effort and coaching but we are still getting waxed by the better teams. Pretty straight forward with no excuses

Agreed

And the nut jobs in our fan base need to realize that if we keep cycling in and out coaches and we will be taking 52-24 losses like this into perpetuity.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
With the way the offensive line played the defense had to play way too many snaps. The defense had to play 100 snaps.
With injuries and lack of depth the offensive line is the big Achilles heel for this team... In the fourth quarter the gas tank was empty !!

When the defense is on the field for 40 minutes you will lose every time. At this point the offense can’t sustain a drive for more than 2 minutes and the defense can’t get off the field on third down.

VN Store

Back