Gators

#10_Ainge_#10

Just blame the flu
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We need to finish," Meyer said. "We need to play as hard at the end as we do in the beginning. Are we fast enough? Yeah. But are we tough enough to hang in there when things aren't going well?"

If the coaching staff has anything to do with it, the Gators will be ready to finish what they started — something they failed to do on too many occasions under Zook.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely. The days of our not being a "60-minute team" are over. No more running out of gas in the 4th quarter, no more "prevent-a-loss" second halves, no more being afraid to RUTS if the opportunity presents itself. The Casper-Milquetoast attitude of Ron Zook is a thing of the past!

http://p222.ezboard.com/ffireronzook15895f...icID=7287.topic

That is interesting that the gator faithful says that....They haven't played a game...How do they know that the Gators are going to be a "60-minute team"...How do they know that the days of running out of gas in the 4th quarter are over? How do they know they won't have anymore "prevent-a-loss" seconds halves? That's very funny that they say all this not knowing what they've got and how Urbans's offense is going to hold up in the SEC.

Although I'm not sure of Meyer's abilities in the SEC yet (time and only time will tell on that issue), I do doubt he will make Zook's mistakes of allowing his team to run out of gas in the fourth quarter.

You put too much emphasis on the players. It's on the coach to make sure his players go the distance. Just like it's the coach that runs the game. Very rarely does a player single-handedly bring a team a win. Most of the time, it's up to the coach to make sure the pieces are in place and his team executes. Zook did not execute. Meyer's strategy may or may not work, but I'm sure his team will put forth more effort than Zook's.

That alone should make them tougher this year than they were last, even in spite of the talen they lost on D.

I think they will have a better offense next year, but a weaker defense. So that would basically put them in the same situation as last year.

I doubt it... Last year's 4th quarter play by the Gators was beyond pitiful. Meyer would have to be the worst defensive coach of the SEC in the last 25 years to be worse off than Zook was last year.

meyer isnt really known forhis defense though, he is more of an offensive coach.

Hm. I got a lot Utah coverage out here; A lot of Utah and BYU grads live out this way. For the most part, Meyer had very little to work with on defense. So we will see how he does. MWC teams usually have to work with Big XII and Pac-10 leftovers.

yeah thats true. Well as long as they lose to tennessee I dont care how much all the radio people and espn broadcasters love him.

Its all about coaching and discipline. Meyer has these qualities. Nobody is saying we have the game already won. They're saying, we wont blow games away like we did last year. If we had been better coached, we would have finished the regular season undefeated. Thats a fact. Games were blown because of the reasons listed above. I think what they're trying to say, is were not going to piss games away. All of that falls on coaching, conditioning, and discipline. All of those things are improved from last year. We may not win every game, but we wont piss them away like we did last year.

Gatorville if you want to see a big hit why don't you find the one Eric Westmoreland laid on your wide out in 2001. That one you showing is nothing compared to that.

you should thats the hit that started a 64 point explosion by the
gators in the second half. its better known as the fax machine half.

which payback are going to be hell for sos.

Last I checked the Gators still have the same DC as last year, Charlie Strong. All I've ever heard about him is how great a coach he is, but the notion that the D will change under "new management" doesn't make sense, as its the same guy calling the plays and subs.

The only way a coach can keep a team from "running out of gas in the 4th" is with subs throughout the game... I don't think that's why UF kept falling apart in the 4th last year... I think its b/c they didn't have the intangibles. Who knows if they've found that this year or not? Only a few games will tell.

You can also keep the defense fresh by keeping your offense on the field. Zook calling flares and screens instead of pounding the ball and running the clock probably hurt the defense as much as the offense.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 7, 2005 8:18 PM
Its all about coaching and discipline.  Meyer has these qualities.  Nobody is saying we have the game already won.  They're saying, we wont blow games away like we did last year.  If we had been better coached, we would have finished the regular season undefeated.  Thats a fact.  Games were blown because of the reasons listed above.  I think what they're trying to say, is were not going to piss games away.  All of that falls on coaching, conditioning, and discipline.  All of those things are improved from last year.  We may not win every game, but we wont piss them away like we did last year.
[snapback]123431[/snapback]​

I guess the guys wearing BIG ORANGE had nothing to do with it? Zook just handed the game over as he didn't want to win?
That's fine. You will see the same result. Maybe even bigger. The only advantage you have is two easy wins before you play us. Our D will be able to handle your O much, much better than your D will handle our O.
You and the rest of the Gator nation will be having Pinapple nightmares for months after this game.

The Gators had the game won. They choked. No discredit to UT. But UF had the game in their hands, and choked when it mattered.

Also, Zook was the primary play caller on D. He "kept Strong in his shell" all season long. He wouldnt let him play his style, and called more conservative plays, with his "read and react" D. After he was fired he let strong loose (look at the F$U game) and the D played much better.

He and Greg Mattison are co-D coordinators. Not sure which one will call the plays, but they're bringing a different style than last years team. Our D will be improved.

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 8, 2005 9:15 AM
UF has no depth
[snapback]123737[/snapback]​

You're right, 67.

Crank up the heat in the Swamp, cause there's no doubt we're the more experienced and deeper team at almost every position.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 8, 2005 9:57 AM
The Gators had the game won.  They choked.  No discredit to UT.  But UF had the game in their hands, and choked when it mattered.
[snapback]123730[/snapback]​

You might be right that Florida should have won, but I'm not sure that I'd call it a choke since Florida couldn't close out ANYBODY last year. Maybe it was a choke, but I think it would be more accurate to say you got exposed more than anything else. After all, we did blow down the field twice at the end of the game . . . and remember, it was OUR kicker that took the gas pipe and missed what would have been the game tying PAT.

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 8, 2005 9:44 AM
You might be right that Florida should have won, but I'm not sure that I'd call it a choke since Florida couldn't close out ANYBODY last year.  Maybe it was a choke, but I think it would be more accurate to say you got exposed more than anything else.  After all, we did blow down the field twice at the end of the game . . . and remember, it was OUR kicker that took the gas pipe and missed what would have been the game tying PAT.
[snapback]123752[/snapback]​

I could have killed Wilhoit after that LOL...He made up for it though...UF can say those refs won the game for us all they want to but did the refs kick that field goal for us? :no:

Here's to hoping that we can beat them convincingly this year, leaving the Gators and the Urbanator no room to blame anyone but themselves. :cross:

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Aug 8, 2005 6:31 AM
I guess the guys wearing BIG ORANGE had nothing to do with it? Zook just handed the game over as he didn't want to win?
That's fine. You will see the same result. Maybe even bigger. The only advantage you have is two easy wins before you play us. Our D will be able to handle your O much, much better than your D will handle our O.
You and the rest of the Gator nation will be having Pinapple nightmares for months after this game.
[snapback]123722[/snapback]​

Considering how many times Zook basically handed the win over last season, I wouldn't say it's a stretch.

As for this year... It will be crazy. CAN'T WAIT!!! :dance2:

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 8, 2005 8:57 AM
The Gators had the game won.  They choked.  No discredit to UT.  But UF had the game in their hands, and choked when it mattered.
[snapback]123730[/snapback]​

You can say choke all you want. I remember the oline of UT pushing VERY hard the last part of the game. Plus a missed point after try by our kicker to tie the game was that a choke on our part? Give me a break. Was it a choke when Ainge ran to his left and threw back across inbetween 2 defenders to Reed for a TD or to Brett Smith in the 4th on a 20 some odd yard pass over a defender? Call what you want, I call it a W. :lolabove:

VN Store

Back