GATORS ACCEPTED OUTBACK BOWL INVITE?

KnoxKDX

OUCH! That's the best bowl I've ever heard of an 8-4 team getting! Anyone else have any thoughts on why or how this happened? Was UT even offered?

We were 8-4 last year and went to the same bowl to play Michigan. Last year we finished 2nd in SEC East, and this year we're 3rd, so I can only guess that they favor in-state teams... maybe somebody else has a better explanation.

Yep...you're right. I forgot about that. I also just read Mike Griffith's column and it now appears that the Outback boys never intended to take UT at all. They skipped the Press Conf after the Vandy game and no reps showed up at the KY game. Could it be that UT has inside information leading them to believe they will be an at-large to a BCS game or at least the Capitol 1? If that's the case, then why did Fulmer even bother calling the SEC Commiss. to protest it? I fear Ut is not in good favor with the bowl reps for some reason. Hmmmmmm....

The only explanation is that the Outback is looking for some guaranteed ticket sales. Still it's hard to justify taking an 8 win team over a 10 win team that is ranked in the top 10 and beat Florida. It kind of defeats the purpose of having bowl tie ins.

The $500,000 difference in the payouts is nothing to sneeze at either.

Worse yet, the Peach Bowl is probably praying for Tennessee. They definitely don't want a replay of the GA/Clemson blowout.

You gotta admit it's pretty crappy that an 8 win team that we beat gets a better bowl than us with 10 wins. Florida is playing good right now and I guess in theory they are still SEC East cochampions. You really can't blame this scenario on anyone but the fans. The empty seats at the Vandy game is why we are not going to the Outback Bowl. Some say we still have an outside shot at a BCS bowl, but I don't believe that for a minute. Our only hope is that LSU whips Georgia and we get the Capital One Bowl bid.

KnoxKDX UT was not offered or even notified of this situation.

I think there may be something to this. The BCS is holding UT, Texas and Ohio St from taking other bowl bids. I have read some believe that UT and Texas are the choices but they can't release OSU yet. This is because if Georgia beats LSU then OSU would jump into the top 4 in the BCS and by rule be guaranteed an at large bid. But as long as LSU wins then UT plays Michigan in the Rose Bowl. It makes sense.

"But Outback Bowl officials, so happy with the turnout at last year's game -- Florida's 38-30 loss to Michigan -- were happy to have the Gators back. And the Gators were happy to accept."

I got that from CBS.Sportsline.com. Click here for the article

So simply enough, it's all about the money.

Did you think it wovld be any other way? It's always about the money.

On a side note, I am always excited about bowl season but it's kinda sad that football is almost over. :(

Well I look around and I jump right into this topic..Sounds like a fun one. I can't write much because i'm in awe of some of the assinine posts I just read from the link that KnoxKDX posted....I bleed orange but i'm a realist...These few quotes make me believe that there are some living in a fantasy world similar to an Alice In Wonderland setting..

Batch24 wrote:
"Either way, I don't see the Rose taking a Tennessee team that frankly was not very impressive this year. They're as high as they are in the BCS simply because they play in the SEC. They are not a BCS-worthy team, especially not over Ohio State. And like Buckeye85 said, it only hurts them to take a Tennessee team over the SEC champion (either LSU or Georgia). If they do that, then the Orange benefits from their stupidity."

---This guy needs to lay his crack pipe down. OSU played a tougher schedule than us! Haul Ass! Barely beating a SDSU team that outplayed the S**T outta them and they get lucky, and they should have lost to Bowling Green!

Go BlueCBus wrote:
"I would much rather see the SEC Champ (hopefully LSU) in the Rose Bowl rather than Tennessee. I don't know that Tennessee would offer that great of a challenge, although it could be some good payback for the 02 Capital One Bowl."

---Now granted having the SEC champ in the Rose Bowl is a good point he makes. But are you kidding me about the not offering much of a challenge? I mean our offense has not looked great but our defense has risen to the occasion all season long (outside the Auburn game) and should do well against the Michigan Offense. We have seemed to do enough offensively all season long to just get by and we've played to the level of our competition all season. Now for the revenge factor...Let's not live in the past boys but if you want to bring it up...The numers to remember are: 2002 Tennessee 45, Michigan 17

Bunch24 (Take 2):
"Rose - Michigan vs. Florida State (the best program of all time vs. the best coach of all time - that will be the hype)"

--- Now i'm no rocket scientist and opinions are like ..you fill in the rest...but, The best program ever..are you SH***NG me? There are teams this guys is not even thinking about including: Yale (18), Princeton (15), Notre Dame (11), Alabama
(10), now these stats are listed as recognized National Champs and lets face it they are records from ages ago because these teams for the most part have fallen on hard times. Michigan has 5, and we have 2, and as far as coaching goes I guess you can go many different routes but looking at the numbers these guys are the best ever: Amos Alonzo Stagg, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Paul W. "Bear" Bryant, and Glenn Scobey "Pop" Warner..Yes Bobby's in there but damn!

Either way i'm a LSU fan come Saturday Night! If only for 3 hours! :furious3:

Either way this has gotten so long I forgot where I was going with this! hahah..must be getting late..I'll quit rambling now

/R
VOLifornia
GO BIG ORANGE!

You got that right....GO LSU!!! I pray to the GOD OF FOOTBALL we get a chance to meet the Wolverines in the ROSE!

The feeling here in Tampa from the sports radio talking heads once Florida got the Outback Bowl was that UT was headed to the Rose Bowl and Ohio State would be the odd man out of the BCS. There was no mention of LSU beating GA which may be a tough task beating the same team twice in a year. I suppose only time will tell on where the Vols end up. We should know someting for sure by the end of this weekend.

Schasz,

We can only hope and pray that we get a BCS at-large bid! If we do then for all of us that bleed UT orange it will definitely be Xmas come early.

When and if that happens someone needs to email Phil the posting from the UM board, not that they will need any motivation. Plus it will be Casey's last game and noone wants to go out a loser! :good:

What the :censored: :censored: is everyone talking about. Do you all really think that Tennessee will be going to the Rose Bowl. The local radio programs are talking about the Peach Bowl.

Let's be realistic, fan support has not been great this year and Tennessee is being snubbed by the bowl reps. The bottom line is that Tennessee lost to Georgia and Auburn. 10-2 is a pretty good season but it would be nice to play for an SEC Championship.

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

I may be wearing my orange colored glassed, but I think we have a shot at the Rose. Fulmer has been saying all along that he had been told we still had a shot at a BCS bowl. There is no other explanation for why the BCS is holding 3 at large teams. Vol_freak's "theory" makes sense to me.

I too have read on MANY boards the OSU will be odd man out...the only thing is, we need LSU to win...If LSU wins, it Capitol 1 time for UGA, Rose time for UT, and Orange time for LSU...but that's all just theory. I think it makes perfect sense and I doubt LSU will have any problems trashing UGA this w/e.

Preach on KnoxKDX...
That's how I feel it should fall out. I also believe that we are probably the shoe in for the Citrus though.

We need to start a chant....BCS...BCS....BCS!

I'm with ya Volifornia.

BCS, BCS, BCS.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Tennessee never seems to have much luck when it comes to this kind of thing. It sure would be fun to be in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl Parade. I would love to harass the Michigan fans for the next month.

If we do end up in the :censored: Peach Bowl I just hope Fulmer can get the troops more ready to play then last year.

VN Store

Back