gas grilling for grilled taste

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
Guys, how are ya'll able to use a gas grill and have the meat taste like it's been grilled? I have to admit, I'm decent at using a charcoal grill but when I gas grill, the steaks and pork chops might as well be broiled. I have taken hog fat and belted it on the grill trying to get the grill taste but have not had any luck. So, how are you able to accomplish this?

One thing that works for me is using a cast iron pan and plenty of seasoning. Thyme, garlic and butter for the win with a ribeye.

Smoke box. Mine sits atop a gas burner in a corner - the "cold spot" of the grill.

@superdave1984's suggestion of foil wrap would be a good test. If the results prompt you to acquire a smoke box, there you have it.

Guys, how are ya'll able to use a gas grill and have the meat taste like it's been grilled? I have to admit, I'm decent at using a charcoal grill but when I gas grill, the steaks and pork chops might as well be broiled. I have taken hog fat and belted it on the grill trying to get the grill taste but have not had any luck. So, how are you able to accomplish this?
I actually bought a Green egg due to this reason several years ago. Then I got tired of dealing with the charcoal and the mess and bought a pellet grill. They are reasonably priced (compared to a ceramic grill like a green egg) and get close to the same flavor. You can also use the pellet grill as a smoker. My particular model has a sear box - gas attachment that gets up to 900 degrees. I smoked some steaks on 225 for an hour then put on the sear box for a couple of minutes each side and was the best steak I've ever eaten.

Reactions: bignewt
I have a friend that uses a gas grill and he can make the best steaks ever! I asked him how he did it and he said he took a large piece of pork fat and melted it down from the grill. I've tried that but mine just melts and then catches fire.

If you are grilling (hamburger, steaks) the flame typically burns fat as it cooks/ drips and gives the meat a flame grilled flavor. Don't use low fat meat.

For a smoked taste foil or pie pan with soaked chips oveer flames as suggested.

Like any kind of outdoor cooker there's a learning process. No problem with gas, but I've chosen not to own one for about 20 years. It is convenient though.

For steaks and to some extent burgers I don't want smoke taste. Great steak houses use gas or cast iron. Occasionally you might find a wood fire one but they do just fine with out charcoal and/or wood chips.

Reactions: McDad

Cook at a higher heat. If you don't cook high enough you won't create a Maillard reaction(browning, which gives that grilled flavor).

Keep the grill lid down as much as you can when you cook, it maintains the heat and allows the smoke produced from the Maillard reaction to build up inside the grill which you want.

There is a difference between a grilled flavor and a smoky flavor.

Reactions: Carp and volinbham
I was always a gasser. Never owned a charcoal grill until 3 years ago. Good cut of meat for the steak is essential. Good marble in the ribeye. To date, I cannot for the life of me grill a decent NY Strip. something about that cut of meat I cannot get tender. Did T-bones the other day on coal. The filet side was butter tender. The strip side sucked.

Gas grill tip #1. Find a throw back if still available that has a cast AL body and lava rock in the bottom. Or find an old shell and put new guts in it. I had one for 20 years I just kept replacing the burner and grates. Best gas grill for flavor I ever had. I can still grill good stuff on the new stamped out light metal grills, but the lava rock ones are still much better. I would use foil and chips for certain things, but like above posts, for good steaks and burgers, generally not. I also would start them on high to hit both sides a few minutes each and get the fat to start breaking down. Then I would turn down to Med. heat, turn one burner off, and put steaks over unlit burner. Tip # 2- Seasoning. Tip#3- Paying extra for lean meat is a scam. Flavor comes from rendered fat in the meats. Once cooked out, they are all lean meats. But if you start with a lean meat, gonna get a cardboard product. Noteable exception is Filet. But, there is a reason you don't see chefs liking to cook it well done or med well. Medium is pushing it on a filet. Last and certainly not least, season steak well, it will drip off. But the secret....have a stick of butter and rub the steak with it at each turn and let it cook down with the steak...

VN Store

Back