Gary Patterson accused of using a racial slur

The re-purposing of the word is part of an effort, IMO, on their part to refuse to be beholden to what the word means.

Do you not see a difference between a man, especially if he has ill intent, calling a woman a "bitch" and a group of a woman's friends calling her a "bitch" in an endearing way? Because the N-word is the exact same way. Words, any word, can have different meanings based on context.

That's correct, words do have meanings depending on context. But I would say the same to the women. It is better to control ones own reaction to people with ill intent than it is to react- or overreact- and cede one's own emotional control to someone that seemingly doesn't have one's well-being or interest in mind.

It seems like you're missing the point- I'm not arguing that the word causes people issues, I'm arguing that there's a certain irony to claiming a word is oppressive while the people it's oppressing are precisely the ones submitting themselves to the oppression by reacting so strongly. If a person truly is free and has control and lives as a strong individual, the words of an idiot shouldn't drive them into a rage. If the world learned to ignore the trolls rather than feed them, we'd all be better off. Instead, we are confronted by weakness and fragility and hate.

I think I also have the right to call out a person saying anyone else flat cannot say what they want. That's not saying there shouldn't be consequences to saying certain things; in this case, it's resisting the claim of a certifiable lunatic to some skin-tone-based power to dictate what is and isn't allowable speech.

Reactions: VolSteve
I definitely read it and your implying that people shouldnt get an uprise from the N-word isnt gonna happen. I will say it again its not anti semetic if I am Jewish myself have you thought of that. Maybe I’m speaking facts on my own religion.
*My* not implying anything. I'm implying that most people fail to see the absolute irony in acting oppressed by a word while they're the ones constructing the chains of oppression themselves. In fact, I literally said that people should have the right to say what they want, and should also face the consequences. You, my little Mussolini, said that people *can't* say certain things.

That's correct, words do have meanings depending on context. But I would say the same to the women. It is better to control ones own reaction to people with ill intent than it is to react- or overreact- and cede one's own emotional control to someone that seemingly doesn't have one's well-being or interest in mind.

It seems like you're missing the point- I'm not arguing that the word causes people issues, I'm arguing that there's a certain irony to claiming a word is oppressive while the people it's oppressing are precisely the ones submitting themselves to the oppression by reacting so strongly. If a person truly is free and has control and lives as a strong individual, the words of an idiot shouldn't drive them into a rage. If the world learned to ignore the trolls rather than feed them, we'd all be better off. Instead, we are confronted by weakness and fragility and hate.

I think I also have the right to call out a person saying anyone else flat cannot say what they want. That's not saying there shouldn't be consequences to saying certain things; in this case, it's resisting the claim of a certifiable lunatic to some skin-tone-based power to dictate what is and isn't allowable speech.
So if your wife's boss, or some other dude at her office, came up to her because she made a mistake at work and called her a bitch, you would you say "Eh, it's just a word; I hope you didn't cede your emotional control to him?"

If your overall point is that you can't let a word ruin your life, or let it become this all-consuming thing, then I agree with you. Even the N-word. But you seem to be kind of suggesting that it's as simple as "just make a decision not to get bent out of shape over it."

Reactions: RoaminVol
*My* not implying anything. I'm implying that most people fail to see the absolute irony in acting oppressed by a word while they're the ones constructing the chains of oppression themselves. In fact, I literally said that people should have the right to say what they want, and should also face the consequences. You, my little Mussolini, said that people *can't* say certain things.
I definitely corrected my own self In the next post and said “in any context should a white person say that word” did I not? Thats not say you CAN’T more so saying you “SHOULDN’T” You literally keep bringing up something I said two pages ago.

So if your wife's boss, or some other dude at her office, came up to her because she made a mistake at work and called her a bitch, you would you say "Eh, it's just a word; I hope you didn't cede your emotional control to him?"

If your overall point is that you can't let a word ruin your life, or let it become this all-consuming thing, then I agree with you. Even the N-word. But you seem to be kind of suggesting that it's as simple as "just make a decision not to get bent out of shape over it."
He basically trying to say “dont get offended cause you say the word too.”

Yea I get what your saying but Gary Patterson said N with a hard R bro he deserves to see consequences. Black ppl themselves don't even use that word. I usually let a white person slide with with the A version as long as it isn’t derogatory.

Are you familiar with Dave Chappelle? It's used by black people.

Yes, I would and have told her that. And she agrees, and she acts the same way, because at the end of the day she has the power to change the situation if it makes her uncomfortable. It truly is that simple.

I've been all over the world to places where I get crap for being white, especially in parts of South America and to a lesser extent, places in Asia. I have been disallowed from bars and restaurants (in Japan, specifically) for being white. Did I throw an idiotic shitfit? No, I took my money somewhere else. Just because there are pockets of racism or "hateful" speech doesn't mean there is overarching universal oppression that crushes everyone, and it's high time for people to realize that they have power and control over themselves.

Aite so you gonna tell me what I did? Your laughable at this point. Especially with your view on black Ppl shouldnt let the N-word offended them or what ever BS you tryna speak.
I can see where you again try to dictate that white people have no context in which they can use something, but the errors sprinkled throughout your posts make things hard to parse out. There's definitely no "correction" anywhere.

Reactions: allvol123
You see, that's again not what you said. You said they -don't- use it. Have you not learned anything about posting definites?
Bro your a nuisance to have a discussion with. Obviously when I say black ppl “dont use this word” that doesnt mean every black person in the entire world has never said the word “N*****R” It means its not in their every day vocabulary like “N*****A is. That is what 05 is trying to explain to you. Every word has different context.

I can see where you again try to dictate that white people have no context in which they can use something, but the errors sprinkled throughout your posts make things hard to parse out. There's definitely no "correction" anywhere.
There isnt a correction bro thats why black ppl tell white ppl they shouldnt use the word. Not trying to say you CANT use it but if you do be prepared to face consequences. Why I said Gary Patterson should face consequences for his actions

Yes, I would and have told her that. And she agrees, and she acts the same way, because at the end of the day she has the power to change the situation if it makes her uncomfortable. It truly is that simple.

I've been all over the world to places where I get crap for being white, especially in parts of South America and to a lesser extent, places in Asia. I have been disallowed from bars and restaurants (in Japan, specifically) for being white. Did I throw an idiotic shitfit? No, I took my money somewhere else. Just because there are pockets of racism or "hateful" speech doesn't mean there is overarching universal oppression that crushes everyone, and it's high time for people to realize that they have power and control over themselves.
lol

And your anecdote is hardly the same thing as the institutional, codified racism that used to exist in the United States against black people. I don't believe it to be institutional or systemic anymore, but it still existed as recently as 1965. Hence a sensitivity that still exists around it, especially for black people, and stuff like the N-word. I'm not saying that anything you are saying is wrong per se, but I think you definitely lack perspective on this topic.

Its ok for Hollywood to use it -- Boardwalk Empire and Blazing Saddles as examples

Its a hard topic cause there is no real rule book. All I say is be careful if you use this word. All im saying is letting everybody say it with no consequences isnt gonna happen.
The black community, particularly rap music and comedians have trivialized the word. I don’t see anyone going after them. There are literally tens of thousands of white kids who live the music, reciting those lyrics who mean no harm.

unless someone is directing the term a someone to demean them, I don’t see the problem.

The black community, particularly rap music and comedians have trivialized the word. I don’t see anyone going after them. There are literally tens of thousands of white kids who live the music, reciting those lyrics who mean no harm.

unless someone is directing the term a someone to demean them, I don’t see the problem.
I would like to see it that way but if I was white I would tell my kids to never say the word out of his own safety. I dont see a problem when quoting it in a song but there are black ppl that do is what Im saying and you never know who you will offend.

I would like to see it that way but if I was white I would tell my kids to never say the word out of his own safety. I dont see a problem when quoting it in a song but there are black ppl that do is what Im saying and you never know who you will offend.
Every time I see someone trot out the old "everybody should be able to say the N-word without repercussions" I can't help but think "pick your battles."

I might think people taking offense at a particular action is silly or doesn't make sense, but if I know for a fact that doing so would incense large numbers of people, I wouldn't do it. Particularly if I had to work with this group of people in a personal or professional context (e.g., like a football coach).

Absolutely, we have a very strict policy in our household. Just like you’ll never offend anyone by not cursing

Call it what you want but the N word is literally the only thing in black culture that white ppl cant take or use themselves. I am black and think it shouldn’t used in public settings but in any context should a white person use it. Thats how I and every other black person sees it.
Not sure what you are saying here.

VN Store

Back