Gary Parrish - 2020 Recruiting and NCAA favorites....

I seriously believe we can compete for a conference championship this year. Which may lead to bigger prizes later, but our first final four would mean putting us one more tier up in the college basketball world. But for the most part of our recent coaches to get us to the big dance I felt he had the best complete team to only get to the sweet 16 still hurts. I need to see him be successful in the postseason before I believe anything at this point IMO

Yeah, Gary is a homer for a team that had the #1 recruiting class and was headed to the NIT. You know, having actual coaches helps too....

My take on GP is different. There are things that I could criticize him for, but I don’t find being a Memphis homer as one of them. He did support Penny some after they lost Wiseman, but his point was to look at other schools who also lost a top recruit and best player. He has been very critical of that school at times.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
My take on GP is different. There are things that I could criticize him for, but I don’t find being a Memphis homer as one of them. He did support Penny some after they lost Wiseman, but his point was to look at other schools who also lost a top recruit and best player. He has been very critical of that school at times.

He's been critical of the school at times however he has bent over backwards to protect Penny since he advocated for the hire big time.

The mental gymnastics he was doing to deflect blame away from Penny when they lost 80-40 to a Frank Haith coached Tulsa team was all I needed to see.

He's been critical of the school at times however he has bent over backwards to protect Penny since he advocated for the hire big time.

The mental gymnastics he was doing to deflect blame away from Penny when they lost 80-40 to a Frank Haith coached Tulsa team was all I needed to see.

Yep, I understand that part. That was one of the days I questioned his coaching too. Also watching our game against them made me question him, even though they won. He was isolating Lomax, which I didn’t understand.

But I do agree that they would have been much better with Wiseman (and I know their decisions were a reason why Wiseman never really played). If you take a top 5 recruit off any team, it hurts. Plus, Jeffries missed the last 6 weeks, and he was their 2nd best player after Wiseman decided to skip the year.

Barnes is a better coach, but players help you win, and I said very similar things after we lost Turner for the year.

GP has been a Memphis homer for as long as I can remember. When he covered them locally (back when people actually read the paper and journalists) it was painful to read usually. It was almost as if he was writing for the school newspaper. And he would probably admit that in a judgment day honest conversation. GP has been phenomenally lucky to see the success he has. His teenager-ist approach to radio was the most unprofessional thing I’ve heard in a while. But I will have to say he’s given the Vols their due lately. Kinda hard to ignore us so that’s not really a credit to GP.

He wasn’t the homer people make him out to be. He was critical at times of Penny last season, especially with how he handled the Wiseman situation, and Memphis fans turned on him for being honest.

I seriously believe we can compete for a conference championship this year. Which may lead to bigger prizes later, but our first final four would mean putting us one more tier up in the college basketball world. But for the most part of our recent coaches to get us to the big dance I felt he had the best complete team to only get to the sweet 16 still hurts. I need to see him be successful in the postseason before I believe anything at this point IMO
Agree. This team has all the pieces to win a SEC Championship and beyond, imo. Of course, that depends on Springer and Keon being one and done type talent.

GP has been a Memphis homer for as long as I can remember. When he covered them locally (back when people actually read the paper and journalists) it was painful to read usually. It was almost as if he was writing for the school newspaper. And he would probably admit that in a judgment day honest conversation. GP has been phenomenally lucky to see the success he has. His teenager-ist approach to radio was the most unprofessional thing I’ve heard in a while. But I will have to say he’s given the Vols their due lately. Kinda hard to ignore us so that’s not really a credit to GP.

I know you’ve had a connection to the Memphis program, and you are a good poster. I just disagree a bit. As I said earlier, I can criticize GP for several things, but being a homer is not at the top of the list. His big career break was breaking the Means scandal. As the beat writer, I don’t think he and Calipari saw eye to eye. He’s developed a bunch of relationships with coaches at CBS. He certainly has some arrogance on his radio show, but it has the highest ratings locally, and I believe has high ratings for all similar market sizes. So, he has done well for himself.

Reactions: tennrich1
He wasn’t the homer people make him out to be. He was critical at times of Penny last season, especially with how he handled the Wiseman situation, and Memphis fans turned on him for being honest.

He largely defended Penny with the Wiseman situation last year. GP went after the administration about Wiseman but that was because they lied to him. Once the administration made up with him and kissed his a$$, he directed all the anger at Wiseman calling him a quitter for 4 months and making nonstop excuses for a team with 8 4 and 5* players losing 80-40 to Tulsa.

Reactions: ArdentVol
He largely defended Penny with the Wiseman situation last year. GP went after the administration about Wiseman but that was because they lied to him. Once the administration made up with him and kissed his a$$, he directed all the anger at Wiseman calling him a quitter for 4 months and making nonstop excuses for a team with 8 4 and 5* players losing 80-40 to Tulsa.

To be fair, he was in love with our team two years ago. In fact, he had UT 3rd in his 2018-2019 preseason rankings. And he had to put Memphis fans in their place, when they didn’t want to acknowledge that Tennessee basketball had become elite.

To be fair, he was in love with our team two years ago. In fact, he had UT 3rd in his 2018-2019 preseason rankings. And he had to put Memphis fans in their place, when they didn’t want to acknowledge that Tennessee basketball had become elite.

I think Parrish is far better and much more objective than another former Tiger beat writer, Dan Wolken. And he doesn't have the hatred/jealously towards UT like Wolken. I think Parrish is actually objective for Memphis except for items related to Penny. He pushed for a year to replace Tubby with Penny and right now, the hire doesn't look good.

I think Parrish is far better and much more objective than another former Tiger beat writer, Dan Wolken. And he doesn't have the hatred/jealously towards UT like Wolken. I think Parrish is actually objective for Memphis except for items related to Penny. He pushed for a year to replace Tubby with Penny and right now, the hire doesn't look good.

Even Memphis fans didn’t like Wolken. He’s a real pompous ass and can’t get enough of himself. Bad writer and just a terrible human being.

Wolken is a Vandy grad. That's why he hates UT.

I think Wolken's personality issues go far beyond where he went to college...

Crazy how he was so quiet when Vandy had their rape issues

Wolken is unbelievably negative when it comes to anything and everything on Twitter, but I can't stop following him because it's so comical how miserable and negative his take is on everything, you almost feel bad for the guy.

I think Wolken's personality issues go far beyond where he went to college...

Crazy how he was so quiet when Vandy had their rape issues

Don't disagree. I just don't think him being a beat writer for Memphis has much effect on his dislike for UT. He already had that being a Vandy grad.

VN Store

Back