Game Thread WCWS Lady Vols vs Oklahoma

I agree...but they couldn't touch a rested Monica...doesn't matter how you win 2...just as long as you do

or, you know, score 1 run in the previous 9 innings. Mowatt pitched 8 complete games. No other pitcher but Mowatt pitched for Arizona in that entire WCWS. This isn't baseball. Pitchers can go game after game after game. We lost because we couldn't hit Mowatt.

Not necessarily. Catch that popup and the next batters face Ellen differently. Catch that popup and Ellen pitches differently. Nobody knows how the game would have ended if that ball was caught. Everyone knows what would have happened if the call was made correctly at 3rd.

It would have been two outs with no one on base, down by three runs. Their odds would have been worse than the '86 Mets in Game 6. When the ball was dropped, they went from having almost no chance to having some life, with the tying run on deck and just one out. It was a huge play to not make. The wind wasn't exactly helping though.

That Arizona lineup would've destroyed Megan Rhodes.

When you take Game 1, you want to slam the door shut in Game 2. Since the WCWS switched from a 1-game final to a 3-game final, every team that lost Game 2 after winning Game 1 went on to lose Game 3.

Well, that's good to know. Maybe we can get it done on Tuesday.

Reactions: 1 person
or, you know, score 1 run in the previous 9 innings. Mowatt pitched 8 complete games. No other pitcher but Mowatt pitched for Arizona in that entire WCWS. This isn't baseball. Pitchers can go game after game after game. We lost because we couldn't hit Mowatt.

Mowatt was a finesse pitcher who threw a lot of curves and change ups....not a maximum effort pitcher like Monica...so she could pitch more...there is a big difference btw the two...

It would have been two outs with no one on base, down by three runs. Their odds would have been worse than the '86 Mets in Game 6. When the ball was dropped, they went from having almost no chance to having some life, with the tying run on deck and just one out. It was a huge play to not make. The wind wasn't exactly helping though.

which changes the mindset of everyone in the game. Had the drop been on a 3rd out, then I'd agree. Errors happen. Even with 4 outs to work with, we beat Oklahoma. The 5th out is what opened the door for the Sooners.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not qualified to take their jobs and don't want them to leave us, but I'm still going to exercise my right to complain about the OF playing deep with the tying run at the plate.

Don't you mean the OF playing shallow?

Or, we could blame everyone in this thread who created a massive jinx by calling this game when we were leading the #1 team in the country by three runs.

I'm guilty as well. I was already giving MVP award to Ellen & penciling in Ivy as tomorrow's starter to win it all. Never again. We all should've listened to Yogi, "It aint over til it's over".

If Ivy's job throughout the season has been to be Ellen's closer and get the save, then she should have been pitching when we went up 3-0. But, if the sisters finish their own games more often than not, then that's a tough decision to make. It's easy to say, after the game, that Ivy should have been in. But, if Ivy would have lost it, we'd all be wondering why the lady who threw 12 shutout innings did not stay in. That said, I would have definitely switched pitchers after they tied it.

Agreed. Ivy probably should have been in after OK tied the game. Ellen had lost her mental edge by then. Nonetheless, great game by Ellen.

I'm still in shock! After watching the greatest softball game I ever saw. Hats off to the Okies but they needed divine intervention(windblown popup) and 3 (I think) bad /close calls on base runners to win last night.

It seems to me - at least in the WCWS - that Ellen is given enough rope to figuratively hang herself - and then some - but Ivy is taken out at the first sign of trouble. I would have considered bringing Ivy in in the 11th, but there is no way I would have ever had Ellen pitch the 12th. She was just too shaken up. You could tell by how she looked in the dugout in the top of the 12th and in the circle in the bottom of the inning.

I would agree in 99 percent of situations, but I would be hard pressed to find anybody who would not have been unnerved by what happened on that stage, even professionals.

Ivy absolutely has to pitch tomorrow. We can still win this, but we need a fresh face out there in the circle after what happened tonight.

I understand what you are saying, but I think the issue was not being "un-nerved" but more of a "break in concentration" Calls like that pizz a person off, they lose focus, and BAM, it's over. We are basically talking about the same thing. But nerves of steel can still be taken out of focus by bad umpiring.

FYI and FWIW: We lost the conference championship, and a spot at the NCAAs, to Oklahoma in Rowing a couple weeks ago. 1 second loss in the final race of the day, or UT Rowing was headed to NCAAs.

My daughter would like the Softball team to get a little revenge for us tonight. and Im posting this in as many threads as I find appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Don't you mean the OF playing shallow?

I had already gone back and forth more than once on the issue. By then, when I said I was complaining about the OF playing deep, I was saying that's what they should have been doing. But, my wording of it was a failure. Nice catch.

I've seen Raven do it before. In baseball, it would never happen, but remember it's only 120 feet from home to 2nd in softball, not 180 feet.

And its 220 to CF not 405, so normal depth they're at 160 maybe instead of playing at 120. IMO, regardless of slap hitter or not you play at normal to deeper than normal depth in the situations they were in. A bloop in front gives the batter an opportunity to stretch it to a double but it also gives the fielder an opportunity to make a play at 2nd. A ball that gets by/over your head ensures a double or more. And that's what we saw happen, not once but twice.

I've seen Raven do it before. In baseball, it would never happen, but remember it's only 120 feet from home to 2nd in softball, not 180 feet.

And its 220 to CF not 405, so normal depth they're at 160 maybe instead of playing at 120. IMO, regardless of slap hitter or not you play at normal to deeper than normal depth in the situations they were in. A bloop in front gives the batter an opportunity to stretch it to a double but it also gives the fielder an opportunity to make a play at 2nd. A ball that gets by/over your head ensures a double or more. And that's what we saw happen, not once but twice.

VN Store

Back