Game Thread: UT Lady Vols VS ARKANSAS - PINE BLUFF

Too many turnovers and mental mistakes. I'm
just guessing CKH has enough data on each
players strengths and weaknesses to start
addressing some issues before playing some
higher caliber teams. Otherwise we're in for a
rude awakening.

Our bench out scored our starters. Nice to know they can contribute, but sure wish the first group would play a little tougher.

Worst game we've played this season. Decided not to play any defense in the third quarter mostly stood and watched them shoot. A game we definitely had no chance of losing but the effort was not there and still playing out of control on to many possessions.

I like the way Emily is progressing. Like that she can jump for a pass, keeping her arms straight up and never bring the ball down, before shooting the basket. Someday, she and Tamari will be a force together under the basket.

Reactions: krichunaka and T.J.
They left the defense in the locker room at half time. Team was on cruise control in the second half except for Burrell. She is always going Mach 2 with her hair on fire. They need to give her a chill pill before the game to keep her feet moving at the speed of her mind. It's like her feet are a half second ahead of the brain but you have to love the effort.

I was just told by a friend who saw some of the Pine Bluff players in downtown Knoxville that one of their players has been shot. She said she prayed with the players about it. She’s definitely not the kind of person who would make up a story like this. I don’t see how this game can be played right now. Should be postponed IMO.
What do you mean not be played. I am sure this was cleared by the team, they probably wanted to honor their teammate...Some of you have probably never played sports before in your life...I am sure that when the university of tenn heard about this it crossed the coaching staffs mind. These things are unpredictable.

Reactions: feathersax
I don’t know who scheduled these games, but if we a going to play mid majors we need to play the best of the lot. No disrespect to Tennessee State, Central Arkansas, APB or Stetson but we need better competition early on before we get to the meat of the schedule. We won tonight but we looked sloppy. Against bad competition that usually happens. I think that these type of games are of worse value than practice. A couple of times we allowed APB to go into the paint with little resistance. It does give everyone a chance to play and the coaches can do some teaching. I also believe that these type of games can create unnecessary injuries.

Reactions: PG1 and FrozenLVFan
One good half, one terrible half playing down to our competition, or lower. Hard to find anything good to say about that second half. Good to see Kam shooting well, and to get an idea of what Jaiden can contribute. Horston and our posts need to practice shooting FT's.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Sometimes we forget how people outside Tennessee view our Lady Vol basketball program and our special legacy.

From UAPB Coach Dawn Brown:

But like I said, Tennessee is the women's basketball capital, and we have so much respect for this program and coming here was very important to us, to our young ladies.

Other very appreciative and kind words from Coach Brown.

On what it means to her on getting support from the Lady Vols and Vol Nation:

"Last night, we made a phone call to Chris Walker, UT's chaplain. I think I talked to him about 8:54 last night. About 9:35, him and at least 15 other people came out to pray with our young ladies. I told them, 'I don't know if we could have been at a better place to get news like this.' To have people around us that felt like family, just for them to be covering us in prayers and standing with us. And not only last night, this morning they got up and brought us breakfast. That meant a lot. Just the fact that we are so far away from home, it's not like you can just get on the bus and try to go back to be there with the family. So for us, it meant a lot.

And for us to get those cards, it is a really special place. I think that the legacy and foundation that has been laid here just speaks volumes for this program. To have those type of people to continue to grow and to be a part of what you have established here, it just speaks volumes for the type of people that stand to represent Tennessee. Chris checked on us right before the game and all throughout the day. They have also somebody from international studies that reached out to her mom and her grandma. It has been a loving environment from the entire Knoxville family. I guess you guys have Vol Nation. They have reached out to us. It has just been amazing. We have embraced it, and we are thankful for it. I don't think we could have been in a better place to get that type of news with the people that have shared their condolences with us in the last 24 hours."

One good half, one terrible half playing down to our competition, or lower. Hard to find anything good to say about that second half. Good to see Kam shooting well, and to get an idea of what Jaiden can contribute. Horston and our posts need to practice shooting FT's.
The only thing about the game was the lack of energy in the third quarter brought back terrible memories of last season. I am glad Kellie addressed that and hopefully we want see that again. The one thing we have to see is effort for the entire game whether were losing big or winning big bring it for forty.

VN Store

Back