Game Thread UT "Lady Vols" v UCF "Knights"

Rather than playing Where's Waldo in every thread (especially when a dedicated thread already exists), it would be nice if we could focus on what actually happens on the court in each game.

I fully understand what you're saying. I guess it's the "elephant in the room." It's difficult to ignore one of the top players on the team, the SEC, and the country sitting on the bench throughout the first half of a close game with no prior explanation from the coaching staff and barely a word mentioned by the coach afterwards (for better or worse --likely for the better). Also, the dedicated thread is "Rikea Jackson out indefinitely..." That is no longer the case. A better description might be "Rikea Jackson in limbo."

Reactions: Mr.Vol2U and glv98
Well, it's easy enough to change thread titles.

It just seems that the fascination with the topic is getting obsessive (by fans) at this point and that the rest of the team is not getting their due.

I'm curious, too, and have my own opinions based solely upon my own athletic experiences and observations as a fan. But I don't see what good it does to endlessly discuss something that we can't change. We all want the same thing re: the team (well, most do).

not sure what you mean

Well, my understanding is you are a private coach so not paid by a school system or AAU club.
That means parents write you checks. My experience, close up in a different sport, is that coaches can be demanding and direct but parents writing checks will not tolerate abusive demeaning conduct. It is more of a collaborative, information sharing relationship between all parties as opposed to Coach > Player.
That is just my experience as a check writer.

exactly

In my opinion, here is how Coach Pat Summitt would handle this distraction..

She would have watched that game tape last night; then, again this morning.

Then, whenever Ms Jackson reports to practice, she would have a one-on-one conversation.

# 1: Ms Jackson will not being traveling with the team to Stanford.
# 2: Ms Jackson is free to leave Knoxville whenever she wishes to head home to Michigan
# 3: If Ms Jackson departs, there is no return.

Lady Vols don't walk around on defense like that, and we aren't going to start now.

For the next 100 days, she can be on-board the Lady Vols ship. If she is unwilling to perform her duties, then we will provide her with gas money to go home. She has received her two warnings; the third will be a dismissal.

I recall how Bama struggled with its fans for years after Bear died because the next coach (and the next, and the next...) wasn't Bear.

Pat was the GOAT but she's not coming back. None of us know the details on Jackson and none of us know how Pat would have handled but that really doesn't matter.

Ok, I was spot watching. But, I saw one chance where she could have dove for a ball but did not.

Is there anyone here who thinks that RJ was playing at her usual energy / ability level last night? Not a chance. She was supportive of her teammates. But, she was playing in bursts...off / on...sending a message that she isn't H-A-P-P-Y with someone or something.

If I sat on the bench for half a game,,,I might not play with a toothy grin either
I don't know why she was on the bench,,,not my concern.
My only barometer with these players is,,,if the staff hasn't let her go, NEITHER will I

In my opinion, here is how Coach Pat Summitt would handle this distraction..

She would have watched that game tape last night; then, again this morning.

Then, whenever Ms Jackson reports to practice, she would have a one-on-one conversation.

# 1: Ms Jackson will not being traveling with the team to Stanford.
# 2: Ms Jackson is free to leave Knoxville whenever she wishes to head home to Michigan
# 3: If Ms Jackson departs, there is no return.

Lady Vols don't walk around on defense like that, and we aren't going to start now.

For the next 100 days, she can be on-board the Lady Vols ship. If she is unwilling to perform her duties, then we will provide her with gas money to go home. She has received her two warnings; the third will be a dismissal.

Even though Jackson didn't seem to be enjoying the game at all, I thought her effort level was good and that she played at a very high level overall. Our only shot at a FF this year is if CKH can keep her on the floor playing at a high level.

Ok, I was spot watching. But, I saw one chance where she could have dove for a ball but did not.

Is there anyone here who thinks that RJ was playing at her usual energy / ability level last night? Not a chance. She was supportive of her teammates. But, she was playing in bursts...off / on...sending a message that she isn't H-A-P-P-Y with someone or something.
Yes I think RJ was playing with great energy ability level last night, and judging her off one play is really unfair.
Even though Jackson didn't seem to be enjoying the game at all, I thought her effort level was good and that she played at a very high level overall. Our only shot at a FF this year is if CKH can keep her on the floor playing at a high level.
That's what I saw. RJ impacted the game immediately upon checking in and every play in her 9 minutes. She's so much more physically talented than almost everyone else it's ridiculous. I saw concerted effort. She played good D, using her long arms and legs well for positioning, she dove for balls (except apparently that one that ignited the crazy PS tirade), she helped players from both teams up off the floor, she slapped every hand, she attended every huddle.

But she looked almost shell shocked. I wondered if she even knew she was sitting out the first half.

Yes I think RJ was playing with great energy ability level last night, and judging her off one play is really unfair.

That's what I saw. RJ impacted the game immediately upon checking in and every play in her 9 minutes. She's so much more physically talented than almost everyone else it's ridiculous. I saw concerted effort. She played good D, using her long arms and legs well for positioning, she dove for balls (except apparently that one that ignited the crazy PS tirade), she helped players from both teams up off the floor, she slapped every hand, she attended every huddle.

But she looked almost shell shocked. I wondered if she even knew she was sitting out the first half.

You may be right. I think she was working through some issues and processing them so that made her distracted on a play or two. The only one I noticed was walking across the court on one play on defense instead of following her man closely. After that she seemed to play fine, and in the previous game had given her best effort in a Vol uniform when she came in.

The only other thing I noticed was Powell going wide eyed when Rickea walked by her on the way to the bench once. I am not sure if something was said then or just a look etc... May have been totally unrelated. Did anyone else notice that?

Rickea can be as good as she wants to be. And if she were to look at her play objectively she would see she is already playing better than when she got here because she is giving effort all over the court. It is hard to see that when you are on the inside looking out sometimes. But she needs to trust Kellie and the coaches, and keep a good attitude.

Horston is also playing her best ball and getting all of her teammates involved. I think she was encouraging Puckett to score more before Sara hit those two threes and started being more aggressive.

Gonna be a tough game against Stanford. We will find out if we have gotten any better, or if we have just been playing weaker competition. The ladies will need to come out on fire and play with intensity to have a chance. They certainly have it in them to beat any team out there, but the odds are not in their favor until they start playing as a team. We have seen glimpses of that. Let's hope they can put it all together.

I have to admit I go from thinking who the top 7 or 8 players should be in the rotation to questioning myself. Pissot made a statement yesterday. The first few games Syriplin was not playing at all and now she is starting and playing well. I have about concluded you have Horston and Jackson (if situation resolved) and then about 10 other players who can contribute, with only Edie and Wynn likely not to play meaningful minutes. Hollingshead is a budding superstar. I do think Hollingshead should play more 4. Seems like CKH needs to come up with some kind of consistent rotation and shorten the bench somewhat. There are only 200 minutes to go around. Good luck CKH figuring out the minutes

I have to admit I go from thinking who the top 7 or 8 players should be in the rotation to questioning myself. Pissot made a statement yesterday. The first few games Syriplin was not playing at all and now she is starting and playing well. I have about concluded you have Horston and Jackson (if situation resolved) and then about 10 other players who can contribute, with only Edie and Wynn likely not to play meaningful minutes. Hollingshead is a budding superstar. I do think Hollingshead should play more 4. Seems like CKH needs to come up with some kind of consistent rotation and shorten the bench somewhat. There are only 200 minutes to go around. Good luck CKH figuring out the minutes

Yeah, prior to the game last night, I had eliminated Su, Pissott, Miles, and Wynn. Was on fence about Walker.

Then, last night, Su played great. She is big, strong, and extremely active every game. Fouls a lot, but that is ok. She is in there brawling. Really rebounds well, even on offensive end.

Obviously, Pissott also had her best night of Vol career. But, as you say, we only have 200 minutes. I don't think she is ready for a road game at Stanford. Just needs time, strength, bulk.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Harper more or less said the same in her postgame presser. She knows she needs to shave the rotation but players keep popping their heads up. I've had about ten different 7 or 8 player rotations myself. It really is hard, but I think Puckett, Jill, and Franklin have seperated themselves from the pack lately. Agree about Jill, I said when we got her she could be foundational for the future.

Harper more or less said the same in her postgame presser. She knows she needs to shave the rotation but players keep popping their heads up. I've had about ten different 7 or 8 player rotations myself. It really is hard, but I think Puckett, Jill, and Franklin have seperated themselves from the pack lately. Agree about Jill, I said when we got her she could be foundational for the future.

For me, it is no doubt that those three need to be in our top 8.

For me, it is no doubt that those three need to be in our top 8.
I go back and forth on Marta. Basically, IMO she and Puckett are the same player only Puckett is more savvy, passes better and has a better shot. Striplin is the one I keep trying to file away as a project but she keeps popping up. The thing I like about Striplin is that she can really shoot. Ditto for Justine. I also go back and forth on Walker vs Miles as chief PG backup, and both should be backups, can't understand starting Jo over Powell. Neither Walker nor Miles is a scoring threat, both tend to go bull in china shop too much. Walker is a little better seeing the court, but Miles is quicker and most of all, younger. Good problem to have, but hard one to solve.

I go back and forth on Marta. Basically, IMO she and Puckett are the same player only Puckett is more savvy, passes better and has a better shot. Striplin is the one I keep trying to file away as a project but she keeps popping up. The thing I like about Striplin is that she can really shoot. Ditto for Justine. I also go back and forth on Walker vs Miles as chief PG backup, and both should be backups, can't understand starting Jo over Powell. Neither Walker nor Miles is a scoring threat, both tend to go bull in china shop too much. Walker is a little better seeing the court, but Miles is quicker and most of all, younger. Good problem to have, but hard one to solve.

We are really deep. As the season goes along, 'things' always happen.

This year, we are in good shape for 'Next Woman Up'.

1671153110580.png

We are really deep. As the season goes along, 'things' always happen.

This year, we are in good shape for 'Next Woman Up'.

View attachment 524188
Wish I had an image or picture of my hands taped after a football game. Had to keep my pinkies taped to my ring finger on both hands cause the ligaments were blown out on the inside of my pinkies. They still stick out and pop kinda funny.

Wish I had an image or picture of my hands taped after a football game. Had to keep my pinkies taped to my ring finger on both hands cause the ligaments were blown out on the inside of my pinkies. They still stick out and pop kinda funny.

Yup, football is a hard game on the hands. Something was always jammed, bruised, or aching.

What about Horston, talentwise?

What about Horston, talentwise?
IMO RJ is more polished and smoother, and a better shooter. RJ makes it look easy. Jordan is more blue collar, works for everything she gets. Better defensively and possibly a better rebounder. Maybe more versitile. Maybe more athletic overall, tho RJ is quite a physical speciman.Jordan seems less confident than RJ. Both probably will be very successful WNBA players.

Both crazy talented, and their strong points compliment each other. Which is why having RJ and JH as a combo sent us crazy with anticipation all summer. And sick with worry right now.

Last edited:
IMO RJ is more polished and smoother, and a better shooter. RJ makes it look easy. Jordan is more blue collar, works for everything she gets. Better defensively and possibly a better rebounder. Maybe more versitile. Maybe more athletic overall, tho RJ is quite a physical speciman. Both probably will be very successful WNBA players.

Both crazy talented, and their strong points compliment each other. Which is why having RJ and JH as a combo sent us crazy with anticipation all summer. And sick with worry right now.

Outstanding review. Both are crazy good, Jordy grinds; RJ glides. Together, with luck, we could be final 4. I will buy tickets and be there!

The difference for now....Jordy has been out there hustling every night whenever need be, RJ has been a part-time player.

With all the focus on Rickea, you identified another unexpected change with Jordan Walker getting moved to starting PG and Powell seeing her minutes cut by a fair amount. I seems like Kellie is also sending a message there that she wants something more or different from Powell. Based on their on-court performances, it is hard to see why the change happened. It must be something going on practices or something subtle in the defensive schemes that Powell was not executing. I am Miles fan but she dribbles too much. When she is at PG we go from ball movement to dribble the clock down to 10 second and then get FRANTIC.

If she can get out of that bad habit, she could be a good player at that spot.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
With all the focus on Rickea, you identified another unexpected change with Jordan Walker getting moved to starting PG and Powell seeing her minutes cut by a fair amount. I seems like Kellie is also sending a message there that she wants something more or different from Powell. Based on their on-court performances, it is hard to see why the change happened. It must be something going on practices or something subtle in the defensive schemes that Powell was not executing. I am Miles fan but she dribbles too much. When she is at PG we go from ball movement to dribble the clock down to 10 second and then get FRANTIC.

If she can get out of that bad habit, she could be a good player at that spot.
Still a yoot…Ute?
She’ll get there. Didn’t she come through Houston her HS senior year?

VN Store

Back