Game Thread - Tennessee Lady Vols vs #2 Shady Trees & Referees

Look Lucy, I have been a fan over 30 years and have gone to several games. No one is stirring the pot. I don't why you think that fans can not be critical of the lady vols and coaching staff. That game was ridiculous coaching decisions. This is my opinion and just like anyone else i am entitled to it. So take several sits.
Well I am an alumnus who has been a fan longer than you and have been to more than a few games. As a matter of fact I have been to several final fours including the Nattie in Charlotte. Now I don’t think any of that matters but evidently you do so perhaps you should sit down.
Regarding your post, You were not merely complaining about the coaching you were stating that it was no wonder there were players looking to leave the program. That was not expressing an opinion. You were stating something as fact that to my knowledge is not the case. If you are aware of a player who has said they are considering leaving then please do share. Otherwise putting an unsupported comment like that out there is indeed stirring the pot.

At some point in a game when her players are getting thrown around like rag dolls she needs to go off on the refs. She will get T'ed up but the refs will know she not going to stand for it. It will become a mutual understanding between her and the refs. Ask me how I know. I have watched Pat get a few technicals over the years. Then it got to where she only had to give them the stare like you see here.

Pat would never let a player put the stare and comment at one of her girls' without going ballistic at the refs....It was obvious the fix was in with the refs...Damn Kellie fight back, don't just sit there and take it...Poor coaching decision, again.

Watching the replay right now, just finished the third quarter. Wanted to say a couple of things while it’s fresh on my mind.

Striplin held her own, was fearless, and played a great game. We’re going to be seeing a lot of her. Jillian mainly came in to give Striplin or Franklin some rest, but fouled and didn‘t do well until the 3rd quarter, that I saw, when she got a rebound and a steal at the end of the 3rd quarter, which was wasted when Horston lost the ball on a rushed shot. Jillian has a lot of potential.

Tess is in fantastic shape, Saw her zoom down the floor, ended up running practically into our bench, zoomed back down the court, stole the ball, and zoomed again back down the court, and made the layup. She’s a smart player, and has plenty of physical strength. Saw her yank the ball away from one of their big players under the basket.

Sara had a great game. Hit 3’s, and guarded Brink.

When Rickea came in, in the third quarter, it was almost like Stanford didn’t know she could shoot. She would just casually dribble over near the basket, and sink her shot. On one Stanford possession, I saw Jones, before she got the ball, use both her hands and shove Rickea away three times. No calls. After Rickea had made a shot, and Jones had the ball, Jones started a drive to the basket. While Rickea had both arms up, Jones sped up and rammed her shoulder into Rickea. A foul was called on Rickea. That’s when she went to the bench.

Earlier in the game, one of their bigs elbowed Franklin and knocked her to the ground, a little later, Horston was on the ground. Later, Brink just shoved Franklin to the floor because she was in Brink’s way. That’s the kind of game Stanford was playing.

One more thing, Marta, when she was in, made her presence felt, and hit some very timely layups.

We were 8 points ahead in the 3rd quarter, but showed no patience when Powell, Walker, and Horston began to ignore our better shooters on our team. Horston making 8 of 24 shots, she needs to pass more.

Stanford made 5 3’s in our game, and in the game before, they had made 15. The announcers mentioned we had stopped their fast breaks, which they said was a real win for Tennessee.

Our team played a fantastic game, and gave Stanford way more than they ever expected on their home floor. If we see them again in the tournament, we’ll be ready.

Last edited:
Ok, watched the fourth quarter. Our defense disappeared for awhile, then we got it going again, and it helped, but no one could make shots. Seemed like everyone was missing. I hope in practice they get worn out before they shoot, to learn how to shoot when tired, late in close games.

Unlike some here, I have no kind thoughts toward Stanford’s team. They played ‘rough’ and got away with it. Our players just had to be in the vicinity of a Stanford player, to be tagged with a foul, a phantom foul. To see Brink’s parents, and their team, laughing when Brink stuffed Walker on an ill advised drive, just makes me disgusted. I hope our team gets mad, and then gets even.

I know, this game just really perturbed me....It was there for the taking and to watch the refs just rob us was just too much....

I had made the comment earlier in the game thread the refs were "playing favorites" and winning would be extra difficult...That's the sanitized version anyways...

You could see the look of defeat creeping over our girls' faces....They knew they were helpless against Stanford and the refs too....It eventually affected their shooting and total game effort.....

As soon as we got ahead the whistles just kept going off until the tree was ahead...And to make sure they stayed ahead, even more whistles against us, while a heavenly light shone upon Brinks skinny butt....

I would never go back there, even if their team was made up of little people...It is a guaranteed loss....

airplane-sniffing.gif
When that started happening Kellie needed a well timed tech!!! If your gonna get homered,let the refs know that you know it!!!

Ok, watched the fourth quarter. Our defense disappeared for awhile, then we got it going again, and it helped, but no one could make shots. Seemed like everyone was missing. I hope in practice they get worn out before they shoot, to learn how to shoot when tired, late in close games.

Unlike some here, I have no kind thoughts toward Stanford’s team. They played ‘rough’ and got away with it. Our players just had to be in the vicinity of a Stanford player, to be tagged with a foul, a phantom foul. To see Brink’s parents, and their team, laughing when Brink stuffed Walker on an ill advised drive, just makes me disgusted. I hope our team gets mad, and then gets even.
Has Kellie ever got a tech called on her at Tennessee??? I don't recall one..

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When that started happening Kellie needed a well timed tech!!! If your gonna get homered,let the refs know that you know it!!!
We already gave up 2 points on a called technical, I don’t think in this close game, another technical would have been a good idea. ( Even with our missed shots, we hung in the game. We gave 7 points, 2 on the technical, 5 missed free throws, lost by 7. One other point could have won the game, we were that close.)

Last edited:
Another thing, on rebounding, it seemed like on occasion, we were courteous under the basket, just not ready, with arms reaching, to grab the ball. Made me wonder if in practice we stand back and let our teammate get the rebound, instead of fighting her for it. Easy to get in courteous bad habits.

Looked like they were both jawing and a good non call by refs IMO.
Looked that way to me too A double technical would have also been an option. Watching live it actually looked like RJ actually said something first but it all happened so fast. There were many calls or non calls which seemed biased but this was not one of them.

Looked like they were both jawing and a good non call by refs IMO.
that's how I saw it based on the camera view. Brink blocked it, got excited, RJ said something and Brink said something. Good no call.

Difference to me was while RJ said something, she never got in Brink's face. Brink excitedly took the opportunity to escalate. I'm not sure whatever RJ said was even directed at Brink, rather at the no call as Brink bumped her as she crossed the lane.

I'm just eternally grateful that RJ ,even with all the public pressure she's currently under, took the high road and did not facetime back.

This is coaching failure. Harper made bad decisions throughout this game. what is she trying to accomplish with Jackson on the bench. I see why players want to leave. There is dysfunction with Kellie and Jackson. Its disgusting'

2015 19 23

7 years on this baord
19 posts
23 likes

Yep, credible
What's disgusting is driveby posters who trash the program and start lies and rumors
Credibility shot

Difference to me was while RJ said something, she never got in Brink's face. Brink excitedly took the opportunity to escalate. I'm not sure whatever RJ said was even directed at Brink, rather at the no call as Brink bumped her as she crossed the lane.

I'm just eternally grateful that RJ ,even with all the public pressure she's currently under, took the high road and did not facetime back.

exactly

look again
I expect more out of posters I respect,,,sigh
who's mouth is moving first, who is staring down first,,,sigh
Might want to watch the 24 second mark and revisit who says what first. RJ has her back turned but says something as Brink walked around her. But again to insult another poster for seeing what they see isn't very "coach" of you.

Might want to watch the 24 second mark and revisit who says what first. RJ has her back turned but says something as Brink walked around her. But again to insult another poster for seeing what they see isn't very "coach" of you.

right after Brink mouths off at 23 seconds
1671642565558.png

Undeniable proof...except for negavols
Jackson is not even looking at her at this point

Mouthed or excited with the block? Can you tell? The answer, is no you can't. But you do see RJ remark after, maybe she was saying "good job" but I can't tell.

Staring down a player after a block, mouth open,,,yeah, ok,,,
BitesizedEnchantedAnkolewatusi-max-1mb.gif

Do you do weddings? Bar Mitzva's? Funerals?
Hope not

Let's try this one
"the moon is made of cheese..."

Last edited:

VN Store

Back