Game Thread: SEC tournament; Lady Vols v Kentucky,,Friday 8:15 PM, SEC network=win 80-71

Aggressive teams and players have turnovers. Is what it is.

Silly response. You think we do anything differently than most teams? Turnovers are turnovers--not good. Horston does a lot of good things
and makes a lot of bad decisions as well. It's who she is. She's been this way since her sophomore year....

Reactions: Sportslady
🧡🧡🧡🧡

I’m coming down from my panic attack lol

I was a bundle of nerves beginning during UK's game yesterday until the final buzzer of our win tonight. The obsessive fear of losing tonight was awful. What a true relief that our team actually won! I can't help thinking that this was a pivotal moment for the Lady Vols because of getting over a hump tonight in winning this type of MUST-win game. It may very well have a major positive impact on everyone mentally going forward.

Also, I want to give a shout-out to one of the game's unsung heroes: Karoline Striplin's ponytail. It shut Petty down, by gawd!

I was a bundle of nerves beginning during UK's game yesterday until the final buzzer of our win tonight. The obsessive fear of losing tonight was awful. What a true relief that our team actually won! I can't help thinking that this was a pivotal moment for the Lady Vols because of getting over a hump tonight in winning this type of MUST-win game. It may very well have a major positive impact on everyone mentally going forward.

Also, I want to give a shout-out to one of the game's unsung heroes: Karoline Striplin's ponytail. It shut Petty down, by gawd!
What? We beat a bad team. Tried to give it away. It was a win. That's the only positive. Stop trying to polish a turd.

Much harder than it should have been. I was ok w the subbing last Sunday in Lexington, but thought it really hurt us tonight. We never get in rythmn, and when someones going really good, she takes them out. Not near enough of Jordan and Rickea together! Super glad for the win tho.
Robin Benton sounds dumb just watching her mouth move.
LOLOL For sure. What a dumbass, posing and mugging while losing.
And did you see the KY bench's reaction?
Maybe even worse than Petty's Loser move of pulling Striplin's hair. Really disappointed if Kyra doesn't call the whole lot out publically. Should make Petty apoligize in person.
Rickea is mentally out of the game. Might as well sit her. She’s so frustrated with the no calls she just can’t anymore. Don’t blame her. Just painful to watch.
Whew, sure glad you're not the assistant rumored to be in charge of stupid substitions! Didn't Age Well Hall of Fame. But you did make a very nice comeback later:
Just give the ball to Jackson. Don’t throw it, just hand it to her
LOL, exactly! What can you say about RJ? The coolest of the cool, the smoothest of the smooth. So happy for her to have this game and get this notice. Totally deserves it. Tomorrow will be a quite a challenge for her.

Jordy, Jordy, Jordy. Her leaping ability is eye popping. What a great, versitile, stat stuffing accomplice to Rickea. But those damn turnovers! She knows, she owned it in her on set interview. Not a mystery, for us to have a chance tomorrow night, we have to hold down the t.o.s period.

Crowd was so disappointing! Don't think I've ever seen a Friday night SEC tourney crowd that sparse. Great that so many were LV fans, but dang, that looked pitiful.

I thought RJ and Jordy both gave very good post game interviews. Proud of them, glad their LVFLs.

Last edited:
Silly response. You think we do anything differently than most teams? Turnovers are turnovers--not good. Horston does a lot of good things
and makes a lot of bad decisions as well. It's who she is. She's been this way since her sophomore year....
Have you ever looked at the turnover numbers of the current top ten teams. Pretty similar to the Lady Vols. Not Silly at all:)

Yes. And the game being delayed made me even more nervous for the team. I just heard in Jaz Powell's post game interview that she was a little on edge when the team found out about the tornado watch. I'm sure that impacted some of them mentally.

Glad they pulled out the win.

Hollingshead has to have a solid game against LSU. I hope I am proven wrong but LSU will keep Darby at a minimum. So outside RJ and JH who is going to score? Powell, Walker, or someone outside Hollingshead? Not likely. Time will yell. Beating LSU would be very impressive. I just hope UT plays tough and keeps it close.

Fair point on the turnovers forced stat.

I am emotional and very frustrated after watching that. Probably go back and edit/delete a few posts later.

I was pretty hard on Sarah, but man, she has been struggling. She just can’t be on the floor right now. Makes no sense after the season she had last year. She lost all confidence for some inexplicable reason.
I still say we're gonna need her at some point. And I hope she comes through!

If they win tomorrow, you will still see the same people bitch. Most likely those who never played the game or played the game and sat the bench. Those are normally the ones.
“If” doesn’t sound confident. Glad I started in my intramural league….we only had six.

We are all glad she is playing. She was never coached here her entire career, so you have a super talent that never was taught to value the basketball or how to.

So your theory is she has never been coached to value the basketball in Jr. High, HS or college? Bet it has been covered. When you push the envelope WITH THE BALL, as she does, it leads to a mix of success and failure. At least the vast majority of her turnovers are when she is trying to create for others, not selfishly setting up her own shots. Look at those high risk passes to Rickea... Good payoff when they work.

First, I said the “potential” “2-point” impact was 772. Your calculation is no more scientific. When calculating a fuller potential of difference in points, one could use 3-points per turnover and get 1,158. See how that works?

Here is the simple fact. Turnovers cost points and some games.

That "potential impact" is irrelevant since no team scores at that rate. Your incorrect implication is that Horston's play is more damaging than it actually is. In your initial analysis, your conclusion was 4 times greater than any reality-based expectation.

BTW, I'm anti-turnover as anyone but I prefer to level any criticism fairly.

One game doesn't reflect how you will play in another. Still LSU is a huge challenge especially if they hit 12 threes like they did against Georgia.

I’m a strong believer in this , each game has its own identity.
So many different dynamics for each game different refs, rest/turn around and early fouls taking a key player to bench most 1st half, each game has its own storyline.

That "potential impact" is irrelevant since no team scores at that rate. Your incorrect implication is that Horston's play is more damaging than it actually is. In your initial analysis, your conclusion was 4 times greater than any reality-based expectation.

BTW, I'm anti-turnover as anyone but I prefer to level any criticism fairly.
Good grief. The calculations of “potential” illustrate the FACT that turnovers cost points for TN and provides points for the opponent. That doesn’t offend intelligence or truth unless one wears it on the sleeve.
BTW, are you more “anti-turnover” of KY’s 38 points gained on TN’s 22 turnovers last night, or more “anti-turnover” of TN “potentially” scoring 38 more points themselves?

Reactions: Volfan2012
Good grief. The calculations of “potential” illustrate the FACT that turnovers cost points for TN and provides points for the opponent. That doesn’t offend intelligence or truth unless one wears it on the sleeve.
BTW, are you more “anti-turnover” of KY’s 38 points gained on TN’s 22 turnovers last night, or more “anti-turnover” of TN “potentially” scoring 38 more points themselves?

Because we average 1.05 points per scoring attempt, our turnovers cost us roughly 23 points. That's real and significant and it could have cost us the game. I think we can play aggressively and get good shots while only committing 2 turnovers per quarter. That should be the goal.

Because we average 1.05 points per scoring attempt, our turnovers cost us roughly 23 points. That's real and significant and it could have cost us the game. I think we can play aggressively and get good shots while only committing 2 turnovers per quarter. That should be the goal.
Been the story all season. If we could've taken care of the ball several games would've been wins.

👊🏼

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back