Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Wright State 2:00 pm SECN+

Just watched most of the game again. The first half was totally man to man defense. I can tell you who was out of position on the threes. Horston twice, Striplin, Suarez, and Powell. Third quarter was a lot of match up zone, fourth a little of both. The quarter when we played the most matchup was the third quarter.

Kellie adjusted them at halftime.

In first half, they were leaving their primary assignments to help a teammate. In the second half, they trusted their team and stuff with the assignment.

Number 0 was lighting us up in the first half. At start of second half, Horston got onto her like a glove and that put an end to that business.
Kellie said they were told to watch three before game. I like hands on defence the few games. Not alot to pick on Horston play this year. But the one before 4 seconds to go Horston got ball done good to get three off. But Flanking had postion for easy turn around reward big girl when they work.

Kellie said they were told to watch three before game. I like hands on defence the few games. Not alot to pick on Horston play this year. But the one before 4 seconds to go Horston got ball done good to get three off. But Flanking had postion for easy turn around reward big girl when they work.

Agreed!

Long shot question here....have you ever heard of the Witch_Doctor who posts over in the Football Forum? He is from Murfreesboro and one of our best posters. Someone will come along and say that he is dead, but that is not true.

Anyhow, with a few minor tweaks, you have the ability to phrase things in his fashion. That is a good thing!

I get the zone part but what does the match up part mean? Are you playing primarily zone but man to man on one/two players? Or on some part of the court?
Sorry to bother with this. I just want to understand better what to watch for. Thx!
There's at least a couple easy ways to tell if you're looking at man to man or matchup zone.

Are the player's finding their man in transition or running to their area?

Off the ball movement... Is the defender tracking her man across the court in an off ball situation or staying more locked to her area?

also follow screens and picks, there is more switching in zone

and "watch the three" they certainly did,,,until the 2nd half that is

Powell/Jordy/Rickea/Sara/Jillian(25)
Jojo/Tess/Karo/Franklin/Marta(typically 15)
Miles/Wynn/Justine - as needed if someone has an off game or matchup requires them.
Edie - will be able to get some minutes every now and then because I think we’re going on a run if this squad steps it up like I believe they are

I think between Karo and Jillian you split 40 minutes whether it’s 20-20 or the above suggested 25/15 split. I think Jillian has the higher ceiling if the two but not by as much as one would think. Jillian is bigger, fast, more agile. Karo is more fundamentally sound, more immovable, and more intentional with her movement and what she’s doing currently. But I like what I have seen from both the last few games.

Marta needs to focus her game on being a post player who every now and then when wide open and she has a moment to compose herself can take a three point shot. Other than that, miss mamas needs to get the rebound and take it back up OR pass the freaking ball.

Sara is a true stretch 4 with true shooting ability. She doesn’t have the foot speed to be a consistent 3 at this level nor the next. It’s looking like a good position for her currently and I love the chemistry/trust Jordy has with her and her ability to finish or dish the ball.

Franklin is so good. I wish she could play next year as well somehow. I think she’d be almost back to the dynamic player she was last year because you can definitely see it. But I also think she’s playing a specific role currently vs being the star previously.

I want to see Tess shooting at least 6 shots per game. There’s no reason not to. Hunt for it.

Walker/Powell need to figure it out. Powell has been in a bit of a slump and I hope she’s about to have a few break out games. Walker, I love/hate the aggressive play at times very much equally.

No one in this country has a duo on the wings as talented as Jordy and Rickea. They have the cast around them still.

Wynn/Miles/Edie play good defense. Justine, continue developing because your time is coming. All of your time is coming so trust the process and BE READY!

Tamari, focus on getting healthy and stay lifted during this time. Period.

Hot take but I think Franklin could get drafted and have a long career in the W. If she's healthy, she's got all the tools to have a good career as a roleplayer.

Starting to see some of that explosiveness again. Saw two moves against Wright State that were just next level.

Made one post move that was text book pretty, created space with her body and powered it in. She finishes really well too.

The other one the shot clock was running down and she took off from the elbow with no dribble and scored. The defender was shocked lol. Wasn’t ready for someone to make that much of a move without putting the ball down. She’s a powerful and gifted athlete.

Powell/Jordy/Rickea/Sara/Jillian(25)
Jojo/Tess/Karo/Franklin/Marta(typically 15)
Miles/Wynn/Justine - as needed if someone has an off game or matchup requires them.
Edie - will be able to get some minutes every now and then because I think we’re going on a run if this squad steps it up like I believe they are

I think between Karo and Jillian you split 40 minutes whether it’s 20-20 or the above suggested 25/15 split. I think Jillian has the higher ceiling if the two but not by as much as one would think. Jillian is bigger, fast, more agile. Karo is more fundamentally sound, more immovable, and more intentional with her movement and what she’s doing currently. But I like what I have seen from both the last few games.

Marta needs to focus her game on being a post player who every now and then when wide open and she has a moment to compose herself can take a three point shot. Other than that, miss mamas needs to get the rebound and take it back up OR pass the freaking ball.

Sara is a true stretch 4 with true shooting ability. She doesn’t have the foot speed to be a consistent 3 at this level nor the next. It’s looking like a good position for her currently and I love the chemistry/trust Jordy has with her and her ability to finish or dish the ball.

Franklin is so good. I wish she could play next year as well somehow. I think she’d be almost back to the dynamic player she was last year because you can definitely see it. But I also think she’s playing a specific role currently vs being the star previously.

I want to see Tess shooting at least 6 shots per game. There’s no reason not to. Hunt for it.

Walker/Powell need to figure it out. Powell has been in a bit of a slump and I hope she’s about to have a few break out games. Walker, I love/hate the aggressive play at times very much equally.

No one in this country has a duo on the wings as talented as Jordy and Rickea. They have the cast around them still.

Wynn/Miles/Edie play good defense. Justine, continue developing because your time is coming. All of your time is coming so trust the process and BE READY!

Tamari, focus on getting healthy and stay lifted during this time. Period.

As a good of a post I have ever read on this, or any forum....Well said poster!

VN Store

Back