Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. VANDERBILT

Thought I heard Kellie say on post game show she can't
find time to give Davis less minutes. That's fatigue not
the flu.
I think it is most likely the flu. If they tested for the flu, they should lready know if it was the flu. If they said it was the flu, It was the flu.

I think it is most likely the flu. If they tested for the flu, they should lready know if it was the flu. If they said it was the flu, It was the flu.

Watching her at the start of the presser,,,I believe she was weakened a little by illness.

Dang. Take a chill pill. What was that? If that’s all it takes to set you off, whew!

Haha oh no don’t try and come off and sound like I was the over the top one 😂 I stated what I had seen and your response was the one that sounded a bit off the cuff lol sooooo nice try but you didn’t set me off.

You could see I didn’t take you seriously per the “😂” emoji and the judge Judy reference. So nice try but you aren’t going to flip this on me😂

AGAIN, not set off just think it’s funny is all... HOWEVER if facts or stats are something you don’t care about (which you said) then whew... I got a bridge to sell ya if you’re interested😃

Haha oh no! You don’t get to try and come off and sound like I was the over the top one 😂 I stated what I had seen and your response was the one that sounded a bit off the cuff lol sooooo nice try but you didn’t set me off.

You could see I didn’t take you seriously per the “😂” emoji and the judge Judy reference. So nice try but you aren’t going to flip this on me😂

AGAIN, not set off just think it’s funny is all... HOWEVER if facts or stats are something you don’t care about (which you said) then whew... I got a bridge to sell ya if you’re interested😃
Well, your response was over the top whether you want to admit it or not. I like stats but they don't tell the whole story and you know it. We have some very good inbounds plays under the basket. We have scored a few times on those, but some of the others are nail biters. You disagree, that's fine. I would like to see better in bounds plays. We will just have to disagree that it's nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: lvocd
Well, your response was over the top whether you want to admit it or not. I like stats but they don't tell the whole story and you know it. We have some very good inbounds plays under the basket. We have scored a few times on those, but some of the others are nail biters. You disagree, that's fine. I would like to see better in bounds plays. We will just have to disagree that it's nothing to be concerned about.

See HERE is where we disagree “whether you want to admit it or not” or better yet “ and you know it” comments. See in some circles that is considered rude and that is where this whole thing begun in your words “whether you want to admit it or not” I didn’t start off with what could be seen as rude comments you did.

But you are right about a couple of things ... 1. we don’t agree, 2.!I’m not concerned, and 3. I agree with the fact I’m ending this convo. Well ... you didn’t really have a say in that last one 😃 Have a great evening and be blessed.

This is better. You played the minority race card on the other post and it was offensive!
Not better for me. Sure don't need to insinuate to kids especially that you can't/shouldn't relate to anyone not your age and color. That seems so narrow-minded and restrictive to me.
Thought I heard Kellie say on post game show she can't
find time to give Davis less minutes. That's fatigue not
the flu.
Lou may be worn down, bad leg and all....
This looks like a very tired team to me. For the Get Tough on Turnovers crowd, KJH did say last week she makes them run for turnovers. Team must have run to Memphis and back paying for all the t.o.s they've committed this year. No wonder they're tired.

Seriously, Lou, who I love and value, has been a bit off the last couple of games, just not as sharp and focused as she used to be. I blame fatigue. And Rennia definitely looks worn out; I think a combo of flu depletion and mega minutes has her dragging. But bless her heart she has fought through it all to continue to be our go-to. Agree with KJH, we must have her on the floor. I wish the extra week was before the SEC tourney, not the NCAA. This teams needs rest.
So now we are complaining about kellies inbound plays!!!!
I don't know whose inbounds plays they are, but I'm complaining about them. Or at least the players' execution of them. And at crucial times, like the ones today and like the unforced Jordan/Lou one that was so damaging to our comeback effort the other night. Those are downright embarrassing.
I would like to see Jaz score more, but she’s had a very good season. She’s very consistent.
Definitely a vastly improved player. If you had tried to tell me last year she'd lead the league in a/t.o. this year, I'd have told you to seek help. She was last year's KK. But lo and behold she has been solid. BUT, I'm newly worried about Jazz. She has seemed very tenative, almost overly cautious the last two games. If we ever get Jaz and Jordan both on top of their game at the same time I'll be thrilled.

Last edited:
If you think what I said was rude then I'm not sure how you can justify a comment like "don’t p!$$ on my leg and tell me it’s raining". Guess we will also have to disagree on who is the rude one.

If you think what I said was rude then I'm not sure how you can justify a comment like "don’t p!$$ on my leg and tell me it’s raining". Guess we will also have to disagree on who is the rude one.

Which was in response to yours... see how FACTS can be important to a conversation. Oh wait you don’t look at or like facts or stats lol

Anyways have a good night. This must be really bothering you I can deal with the fact you think I’m rude (which you can go back and clearly see was in response to your message) but it doesn’t seem you can deal with being the rude one.

Anyways be blessed and Go Ladys!

PS this is all in fun for me and I am truly not worried about this interaction at all. I hope you enjoyed actually keeping Vandys win total in Thompson Bowling Arena at 1 as much as I did 😃

I wasn’t super excited about the hire. However, I am in a wait and see mode. I can see improvement in Jaz and Rae plus beating Bama and Vandy (which before had been automatics) was good to get back on the winning side of that. So Kellie winning with some of Hollys players (two talented ones left) is a pretty good step in the right direction.
That about sums up where I am. Lowly as it seems, beating Bama and Vandy and the others we should beat is definitely improvement, and there was clearly positive off-season development in Jaz and Rennia. Last year's squad would definitely have lost a few games this team has won, including today.

BUT, after 25 or 30 games, would it be asking too much for just one clean, well-played, consistent game? Especially against a bad team? Maybe I was expecting too much or possibly I was overestimating the talent level left after everything shook out, but I really thought games like today would be a bad memory by this point.

I get there will be bumps in the road and all, but I'm concerned there's just been very little overall improvement during the course of the season. So many of the same mistakes and issues keep happening over and over and nothing's consistent. Truthfully, I've given up on an actual good game happening this year; I afraid with the possible exception of poor Ole Miss every remaining game is going to be an up and down grab and go adventure. Hopefully enough good unexpected things will happen, like Jordan's really good game today, to overcome the inexplicable turnovers, the easy missed shots, the lapses of focus that just will not go away.

Next season I fully expect steady, upward, solidly identifiable improvement.

Reactions: Caz
That about sums up where I am. Lowly as it seems, beating Bama and Vandy and the others we should beat is definitely improvement, and there was clearly positive off-season development in Jaz and Rennia. Last year's squad would definitely have lost a few games this team has won, including today.

BUT, after 25 or 30 games, would it be asking too much for just one clean, well-played, consistent game? Especially against a bad team? Maybe I was expecting too much or possibly I was overestimating the talent level left after everything shook out, but I really thought games like today would be a bad memory by this point.

I get there will be bumps in the road and all, but I'm concerned there's just been very little overall improvement during the course of the season. So many of the same mistakes and issues keep happening over and over and nothing's consistent. Truthfully, I've given up on an actual good game happening this year; I afraid with the possible exception of poor Ole Miss every remaining game is going to be an up and down grab and go adventure. Hopefully enough good unexpected things will happen, like Jordan's really good game today, to overcome the inexplicable turnovers, the easy missed shots, the lapses of focus that just will not go away.

Next season I fully expect steady, upward, solidly identifiable improvement.

You could be Arkansas, Ms St, or LSU who all made our “not well played game” look much worse 😂

But it may be to much to ask for this team to play a pretty game. Maybe winning ugly is how they win... I dunno but I rather win than lose unlike some other fan on this board that hoped the LV would lose today.

Last edited:
Not better for me. Sure don't need to insinuate to kids especially that you can't/shouldn't relate to anyone not your age and color. That seems so narrow-minded and restrictive to me.

This looks like a very tired team to me. For the Get Tough on Turnovers crowd, KJH did say last week she makes them run for turnovers. Team must have run to Memphis and back paying for all the t.o.s they've committed this year. No wonder they're tired.

Seriously, Lou, who I love and value, has been a bit off the last couple of games, just not as sharp and focused as she used to be. I blame fatigue. And Rennia definitely looks worn out; I think a combo of flu depletion and mega minutes has her dragging. But bless her heart she has fought through it all to continue to be our go-to. Agree with KJH, we must have her on the floor. I wish the extra week was before the SEC tourney, not the NCAA. This teams needs rest.

I don't know whose inbounds plays they are, but I'm complaining about them. Or at least the players' execution of them. And at crucial times, like the ones today and like the unforced Jordan/Lou one that was so damaging to our comeback effort the other night. Those are downright embarrassing.

Definitely a vastly improved player. If you had tried to tell me last year she'd lead the league in a/t.o. this year, I'd have told you to seek help. She was last year's KK. But lo and behold she has been solid. BUT, I'm newly worried about Jazz. She has seemed very tenative, almost overly cautious the last two games. If we ever get Jaz and Jordan both on top of their game at the same time I'll be thrilled.
You have your opinion and I have mine and lets leave it like that!

You could be Arkansas, Ms St, or LSU who all made our “not well played game” look much worse 😂

But it may be to much to ask for this team to play a pretty game. Maybe winning ugly is how they win... I dunno but I rather win than lose unlike some other fan on this board that hoped the LV would lose today.

2nd place is first loser. A win is a win.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Just got home from the game. Whew! What a relief it was to get the win after being scared to death it was going to get away from us. Spent the game frustrated over the fact that we would be “up by 10,” then “we’d be up by 16,” then “we’d be up by 24”... IF we were hitting those layups!

But strangely enough, I also found it comforting that we were getting so many easy scoring opportunities — something that doesn’t happen all that often. The shots simply weren’t falling, but it really did feel like “just one of those crazy things.”

JORDAN HORRRRRRSTOOOOOONNNN!!!!! Damn I’m proud of that kid!!!!! Everyone around me, in front, and behind me were so happy for her. Yeah, she made a few mistakes, but she had a huge game overall and I hope she goes to sleep tonight feeling really good about her game today.

And how about KASIIIIII KUSKITUUUUUUUAAAHHHHHHH!? She made some big plays for us today, and it makes me a happy fan to know that she, too, can feel good about her day. :)

Yeah, it was too close for comfort, but this team this year got it done and none of us will have to relive the nightmare of last year’s final game.

Can’t wait to cheer and tear for Lou and Kamera on Thursday as they play in front of fans at Thompson-Boling Arena for one last time. Senior Night is always so bittersweet.

Thanks for the W, Lady vols! :D

Kasi really helped at crunch time. She fought hard, her hands were sure, and her shots were determined. She was needed and she came through.
I think we sometimes forget the extra work all our players put in, including Kasi. Way to go, Kasi!

Kellie said this in her postgame comments:

On Kasiyahna Kushkituah's shot being a big play:
"Kasi's two bucket in the second half were big. Her jumper was crucial, she didn't hesitate. Her offensive board on the free throw may have been an even bigger bucket. She got an offensive board and a put-back on a free throw. They were both big. I will say this, Kasi was in the gym shooting this morning. I was watching, and that is the shot she shot a million of today. And as soon as she caught the ball, my mind went right back to, 'Oh, that's all she did this morning.' Hopefully those shooting groups are paying off."

Last edited:
Just got home from the game. Whew! What a relief it was to get the win after being scared to death it was going to get away from us. Spent the game frustrated over the fact that we would be “up by 10,” then “we’d be up by 16,” then “we’d be up by 24”... IF we were hitting those layups!

But strangely enough, I also found it comforting that we were getting so many easy scoring opportunities — something that doesn’t happen all that often. The shots simply weren’t falling, but it really did feel like “just one of those crazy things.”

JORDAN HORRRRRRSTOOOOOONNNN!!!!! Damn I’m proud of that kid!!!!! Everyone around me, in front, and behind me were so happy for her. Yeah, she made a few mistakes, but she had a huge game overall and I hope she goes to sleep tonight feeling really good about her game today.

And how about KASIIIIII KUSKITUUUUUUUAAAHHHHHHH!? She made some big plays for us today, and it makes me a happy fan to know that she, too, can feel good about her day. :)

Yeah, it was too close for comfort, but this team this year got it done and none of us will have to relive the nightmare of last year’s final game.

Can’t wait to cheer and tear for Lou and Kamera on Thursday as they play in front of fans at Thompson-Boling Arena for one last time. Senior Night is always so bittersweet.

Thanks for the W, Lady vols! :D

We are turning from having one scorer, to three, Rennia, Rae, and Jordan, and they are developing great chemistry in their play together, and all three deserve praise and encouragement. Still, they have had a lot of help.

Here is what Kellie said today, about Lou:

On much of Lou Brown's effort not showing up on the stat sheet:
"Well, Lou plays very intelligently with a lot of toughness. And I think for us, we are searching for toughness. We are trying to build toughness; we want more of it and she has it, and that is important. She also has a good understanding of what we are trying to do. She is also the most experienced, the most mature player on our team and has a calming effect when she's out there. I think the players like her on the court with them. I would. I would want her out there with me. She took some charges and even tried to take one that didn't get called. But those are such positive plays, and she makes a difference when she's out there."

This is what Rennia had to say about playing with Lou, pretty nice.

On Lou's ethic and desire
"I, personally, love playing with Lou. I think she has heart; she has passion for the game. She is older, so she has been around the game for a while, so she has a lot of knowledge of the game. Especially with such a young team that we have, she is somebody who steps up to take charges when a lot of us are scared to do so. She is that glue player for us. I think she does a lot of little things that might not show up on the stat sheet, but she really knows this team well."

That’s high praise from your Coach, and your star player.
Lou will surely be missed when she's not playing for us next year (would love to have her for a grad assistant), but she has set a fine example for all her teammates. Thanks to Lou for ALL her hard work as a Lady Vol! Go Lou!!!

Last edited:
Interesting that Jordan was superb in the 1st half while Rae was struggling and they basically reversed roles in the 2nd half.

When they get in sync that will be fun to watch.

Rennia missed some shots she would normally make but she still put a 18-10 double-double with some clutch plays down the stretch.

I think there was a moment when Vandy made their run in the 4th where the LVs started playing in a "oh no, its happening again mode" but Rae was not gonna let that happen and I think Kellie did a great job motivating from the bench.

Yeah, it would have been nice to be more dominant but Vandy was playing scrappy and I like the mental toughness the LVs showed in grinding out a win.

If Kellie can get a big three of Davis, Horston, and Burrell playing well together with Jazz holding it together and some combination of decent post play from Key, KK, and McCoy, a tournament to the sweet 16 becomes a viable prospect.

We are turning from having one scorer, to three, Rennia, Rae, and Jordan, and they are developing great chemistry in their play together, and all three deserve praise and encouragement. Still, they have had a lot of help.

Here is what Kellie said today, about Lou:

On much of Lou Brown's effort not showing up on the stat sheet:
"Well, Lou plays very intelligently with a lot of toughness. And I think for us, we are searching for toughness. We are trying to build toughness; we want more of it and she has it, and that is important. She also has a good understanding of what we are trying to do. She is also the most experienced, the most mature player on our team and has a calming effect when she's out there. I think the players like her on the court with them. I would. I would want her out there with me. She took some charges and even tried to take one that didn't get called. But those are such positive plays, and she makes a difference when she's out there."

This is what Rennia had to say about playing with Lou, pretty nice.

On Lou's ethic and desire
"I, personally, love playing with Lou. I think she has heart; she has passion for the game. She is older, so she has been around the game for a while, so she has a lot of knowledge of the game. Especially with such a young team that we have, she is somebody who steps up to take charges when a lot of us are scared to do so. She is that glue player for us. I think she does a lot of little things that might not show up on the stat sheet, but she really knows this team well."

That’s high praise from your Coach, and your star player.
Lou will surely be missed when she's not playing for us next year (would love to have her for a grad assistant), but she has set a fine example for all her teammates. Thanks to Lou for ALL her hard work as a Lady Vol! Go Lou!!!

Nice post. In only one season of play in a Tennessee uniform, Lou Brown has managed to work herself onto my all-time favorite Lady Vols list. I absolutely love everything about her approach to the game, to her teammates, and to her coaching staff. She’s a model Lady Vol — one that I am 100% certain that Pat Summitt would have enjoyed coaching.

I will miss Lou Brown next year more than any player since Candace Parker.

I also hope she can become a graduate assistant — if that would interest her. Of course, GA’s aren’t actually allowed to do any coaching, but I can’t imagine Kellie finding a better, more mature and capable leader of young women just entering into the world of college sport/studies, even if she had her choice of anyone on the planet. Everything about Lou Brown’s play and body language screams “leader” and “nurturer.” Kellie has to already be secretly dreading not having her on the court next season.

I don’t know what Lou’s parents’ financial picture is, but I hope that they have somehow been able to get the funds and the time off work to try to attend her Senior Night on Thursday. Traveling from Australia to the U.S. is quite expensive, so there’s no telling whether they’ve been able to pull it off or not, but I sure will be shedding some happy-tears on Thursday if they’re at TBA for her. Oh, gawd! That would be amazing for Lou!!!! I’d love for them to feel and hear the thunderous applause of the fans who’ve appreciated their daughter’s contribution to Lady Vol history.

Last edited:
Interesting that Jordan was superb in the 1st half while Rae was struggling and they basically reversed roles in the 2nd half.

Rennia missed some shots she would normally make but she still put a 18-10 double-double with some clutch plays down the stretch.

I think there was a moment when Vandy made their run in the 4th where the LVs started playing in a "oh no, its happening again mode" but Rae was not gonna let that happen and I think Kellie did a great job motivating from the bench.

Yeah, it would have been nice to be more dominant but Vandy was playing scrappy and I like the mental toughness the LVs showed in grinding out a win.

If Kellie can get a big three of Davis, Horston, and Burrell playing well together with Jazz holding it together and some combination of decent post play from Key, KK, and McCoy, a tournament to the sweet 16 becomes a viable prospect.
The most disappointing thing yesterday was the coach having to get the crowd into the game. She shouldn't have to do that. People say you shouldn't have to coach effort, so some fans need to look in the mirror on that one.

This game was interesting because we only score 67 points on 76 shots. Getting 76 shots was key strong offensive board effort and taking care of the ball kept us from losing on a bad offensive day. Vandy ended up 63 points on 62 shots which is average defense could be better. No reason we shouldn't hold them under 1.0 Going to take a huge effort to make the NCAA Tourney Ole Miss win is a must although winning not going to help the cause. The following game at Auburn will be the key game and it is going to be difficult to win they have improved dramatically especially when they play at home. They have a post player that is at least in the top three in the league. They have two players that are suddenly on fire from the three. We sit at 55 rpi 72 sos good enough but you have to win out hopefully we can.

I agree with you madtownvol ! On Davis, Horston, and Burrell and some combination of decent post play from Key, KK, and McCoy, I think Jazz needs to look to score more and she can she has size 6-0 and can get to the basket. My concern with McCoy is she plays to wild and just throws the ball up on inside shots.

Reactions: Prophet1
Were you at the game? The crowd was into it. There was only one time in the 4th quarter that she signaled for more noise on defense.

The most disappointing thing yesterday was the coach having to get the crowd into the game. She shouldn't have to do that. People say you shouldn't have to coach effort, so some fans need to look in the mirror on that one.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The Golden Ticket! From your keyboard to the bball gods' ears. Add Lou as that essential role player that contributes in alot of ways not on the stat sheet and it's my fondest hope for this season. Might not beat elites, but would hold our own against mid to good teams.

Unfortunately, pulling this together for more than a quarter at a time has alluded us this season except when raiding the cupcake pantry. If we don't do it against vastly improved Auburn we are in big trouble.

I'm very encouraged by the reaction of players like Jordan to being benched. No apparent pouting and a great response yesterday when given a chance for some redemption. Hope I was completely wrong that limiting her for her own good the rest of the season was necessary; she proved much mentally tougher than I thought.

That said, its vital for JH to build on yesterday, not slide back. The last time she had a really good all round game with less than 4 t.o.s was also against Vandy. Ole Miss should be easy pickins for her, then huge that she carry forth at Auburn. I believe she can and will.

Were you at the game? The crowd was into it. There was only one time in the 4th quarter that she signaled for more noise on defense.
I was at the game, and the quietness in the crowd was reflecting the uncertainty of the players at that moment. The Here We Go Again Factor was prevalent. Fortunately the players bowed up and Coach K got involved both with the crowd and with the zebras and we turned the tide.

I say this not to disagree with Earl, but instead to agree with him

Last edited:
I was at the game, and the quietness in the crowd was reflecting the uncertainty of the players at that moment. The Here We Go Again Factor was prevalent.Fortunately the players bowed up
Manna from Heaven. Players bowing up against the Here We Go Again yips is what the previous staff had just lost all hope of. Now we've done that a few times this year. Next step is getting passed the uncertainty that triggers the yips. That may take until next year and few new players.

VN Store

Back