Game Thread Lady Vols vs UNC Asheville

I think some were already in the Bahamas and forgot they still had a game to play. That was a pretty weak effort tonight. Our post game is nearly nonexistent except for a couple of trips down the court. I guess you can chalk this one up as a good teaching tool.

London was solid 5-6 in 23 minutes.

Reactions: mcannon1 and ksl415
I think some were already in the Bahamas and forgot they still had a game to play. That was a pretty weak effort tonight. Our post game is nearly nonexistent except for a couple of trips down the court. I guess you can chalk this one up as a good teaching tool.
Are the coaches actually teaching besides Barnes? Collins shot needs a total redo or her shot will get blocked against better teams

Reactions: djtee
Pretty weak play tonight, bad third quarter. Evina looked good but didn’t play much. Rennia forced things much of the game and played pretty bad defense. Her defense must improve if she wants to be an elite player. She didn’t look great tonight.
Post play sucked but I think we need to face the reality that at least for the next couple of years we won’t have great post play.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Pretty weak play tonight, bad third quarter. Evina looked good but didn’t play much. Rennia forced things much of the game and played pretty bad defense. Her defense must improve if she wants to be an elite player. She didn’t look great tonight.
Post play sucked but I think we need to face the reality that at least for the next couple of years we won’t have great post play.

Next couple of years? I fully expect as the season progresses, the bigs will improve. Greene looks like a totally different player this year compared to last. She's lost weight and has improved her speed. They need rep's and they are going to get them. Are they polished? No. Are we going to have to wait "a couple of years", not at all. Far-fetched.

Cheridene (LOVE her!) and Evina had great games, and even though the freshmen weren't scoring a lot tonight I thought their energy on defense was terrific.

Kasi appears to be just a tad too slow (not even sure that can be changed), but I sure enjoyed how scrappy and quick Rae is. Burrell also has a good nose for the ball -- love it! Mimi's got a lot of quickness for a post player, too, so the future is bright there. Massengill -- yes, please!

Overall I enjoyed watching the second team more than the first. They seemed to me to be more energetic.

You might not have heard it on TV, but there were several groans tonight with out team's play. Full court press was great but we let them inside for easy layups. Team played flat and couldn't buy a shot too many times. I'd give the officials a 50/50 score. Half of what they called was right. Those little hand check fouls are ridiculous. We were being mugged on the inside a lot. Too many out of control shots taken going to the basket. They're much better than this and will prove it. Tonight was really an off night. Did manage to snag a T shirt being thrown for the little girl sitting in front of me. So, that was good.

Reactions: Rickster
Still sloppy, with control issues; porous defensively. They expend energy but defend poorly, not understanding angles of defense. Saw too many surrendered lay ups again.

Maybe they will be more tolerable to watch once volleyball season is over.

I agree with a lot of the deficiencies being cited, but we need to remember that there are only 2 players on this team with more than one season of college play under their belt. KK needs time. The freshmen need time. Westbrook and Davis need to adjust to being the go-to players. And Meme needs to elevate her judgement and leadership to the level of her athleticism. If we beat all these cupcakes, get some experience, and look solid by the start of SEC play, I think we'll be doing well. #Patience

I agree with a lot of the deficiencies being cited, but we need to remember that there are only 2 players on this team with more than one season of college play under their belt. KK needs time. The freshmen need time. Westbrook and Davis need to adjust to being the go-to players. And Meme needs to elevate her judgement and leadership to the level of her athleticism. If we beat all these cupcakes, get some experience, and look solid by the start of SEC play, I think we'll be doing well. #Patience
This is exactly what I needed to read because my patience is thin this year. I believe as the season goes on we will get better.

I’m just glad that effort doesn’t seem to be a problem, looking from the outside.

Reactions: Rickster
Cheridene (LOVE her!) and Evina had great games, and even though the freshmen weren't scoring a lot tonight I thought their energy on defense was terrific.

Kasi appears to be just a tad too slow (not even sure that can be changed), but I sure enjoyed how scrappy and quick Rae is. Burrell also has a good nose for the ball -- love it! Mimi's got a lot of quickness for a post player, too, so the future is bright there. Massengill -- yes, please!

Overall I enjoyed watching the second team more than the first. They seemed to me to be more energetic.

Holly has found a gem in Rae Burrell and Holly knows it, She did not shoot the ball well last night but her battling on the glass and put backs is what you like to see.

I decided to look at the box score first then watch the game something I never do. When I saw a 16 turnovers I groaned. Then going back and watching the game I felt better because 1. KK’s in the first quarter was her creating space because she was being held (the ref caught the second reaction to being grabbed) 2. Rae’s charge was NOT EVEN close because the defender slid into her and with that being said there still wasn’t much contact. Now Meme’s two can be eliminated with a short pull up jumpers (one which could have been off the glass) or floaters. There was a third I thought was questionable as well but it is what it is when the refs call it. The touch fouls HAVE TO STOP we are long enough to cause disruptions with our length. Overall, this group is faster than I probably thought without that smaller pesky guard. I love Rae and Mimi’s energy the game automatically intisifies when they come in. They may not know everything they are doing but playing hard is not an issue so far with these two. Mimi’s release will have to be tweaked but from coaching state champion and all American runners that’s something that takes time to break and a lot of the time you work on form in season but it doesn’t always sink in but you slowly see a change hopefully this will happen with her.

LONDON! I want you more aggressive!!! I love her b-ball IQ when she just goes out and plays!

For years now we have griped at holly for not giving people chances to play in these games and now that she is we have to be more patient. I think it will end up being a 8 player rotation when it is said and done. The different line ups are going to put people in positions they haven’t been before but this is the time to find out these things.

The one thing will give credit to CHW and staff is that they are posting these guards up when I look up and see Massengill posting up or Rae battling down low it’s like wow. They are tough and don’t care about doing some dirty work (that’s a great sign of it keeps coming along).

Free throws are still ... Meh! I think it’s slowly creeping up so maybe the 500 a week is starting to work?

3 point shooting looks more deliberate this year. Zaay, Rae, Rennia all penetrated off definitive play call and screens to dish out to open shooters which looked GOOD! I think it’s FINALLY setting in if you get a foot in the paint and the defenders come with you someone is open!!! For YEARS we have seen members get in there (and we still have some reminents of that with some upper class men) that you have to barrel to the basket instead of looking for the open player. Now, this team seemingly has seen people who can knock down shots (although Zaay was off they still all looked good and on target, Rae’s looked good she just looked tired when she shot it, and Evina well you are 3-3 from the arc so far so hopefully you can keep up a high percentage).

All in all things need to be worked on most def but this team gives you the sense they will do the dirty work and they don’t care who scores! I just hope players like Rennia learn to be the go to player.

Lastly, I LOVED LOVED LOVED what the commentators said about Rae getting on whoever needs it! When you come with energy doesn’t matter what class you are people put some respect on your name! I think Evina took a note out of that book! Last night she lit her TEAM UP from the side line in the fourth when they were just standing around the perimeter (she was pointing at meme telling her to move move move).

I hope like I've said before playing full court press for an entire game is not going to sap this teams energy by mid-season or for parts of a lot of games. We really don't have the roster for pressing the entire game but certainly should use it to start the game drop back when they get across half court and guard your man. I guarantee none of the freshmen have ever had to play this type of intensity before in high school. Open threes and beating us on layups was their scoring last night. We don't want to give up points like that because of the press. We'll have to learn to play half court defense make teams shoot it outside while pressured and stop the layups.
Holly said we were low energy in the third quarter she needs to find out the reason why and do whatever she needs to do to prevent it in the future.

Reactions: lvocd and Only1COJ
I decided to look at the box score first then watch the game something I never do. When I saw a 16 turnovers I groaned. Then going back and watching the game I felt better because 1. KK’s in the first quarter was her creating space because she was being held (the ref caught the second reaction to being grabbed) 2. Rae’s charge was NOT EVEN close because the defender slid into her and with that being said there still wasn’t much contact. Now Meme’s two can be eliminated with a short pull up jumpers (one which could have been off the glass) or floaters. There was a third I thought was questionable as well but it is what it is when the refs call it. The touch fouls HAVE TO STOP we are long enough to cause disruptions with our length. Overall, this group is faster than I probably thought without that smaller pesky guard. I love Rae and Mimi’s energy the game automatically intisifies when they come in. They may not know everything they are doing but playing hard is not an issue so far with these two. Mimi’s release will have to be tweaked but from coaching state champion and all American runners that’s something that takes time to break and a lot of the time you work on form in season but it doesn’t always sink in but you slowly see a change hopefully this will happen with her.

LONDON! I want you more aggressive!!! I love her b-ball IQ when she just goes out and plays!

For years now we have griped at holly for not giving people chances to play in these games and now that she is we have to be more patient. I think it will end up being a 8 player rotation when it is said and done. The different line ups are going to put people in positions they haven’t been before but this is the time to find out these things.

The one thing will give credit to CHW and staff is that they are posting these guards up when I look up and see Massengill posting up or Rae battling down low it’s like wow. They are tough and don’t care about doing some dirty work (that’s a great sign of it keeps coming along).

Free throws are still ... Meh! I think it’s slowly creeping up so maybe the 500 a week is starting to work?

3 point shooting looks more deliberate this year. Zaay, Rae, Rennia all penetrated off definitive play call and screens to dish out to open shooters which looked GOOD! I think it’s FINALLY setting in if you get a foot in the paint and the defenders come with you someone is open!!! For YEARS we have seen members get in there (and we still have some reminents of that with some upper class men) that you have to barrel to the basket instead of looking for the open player. Now, this team seemingly has seen people who can knock down shots (although Zaay was off they still all looked good and on target, Rae’s looked good she just looked tired when she shot it, and Evina well you are 3-3 from the arc so far so hopefully you can keep up a high percentage).

All in all things need to be worked on most def but this team gives you the sense they will do the dirty work and they don’t care who scores! I just hope players like Rennia learn to be the go to player.

Lastly, I LOVED LOVED LOVED what the commentators said about Rae getting on whoever needs it! When you come with energy doesn’t matter what class you are people put some respect on your name! I think Evina took a note out of that book! Last night she lit her TEAM UP from the side line in the fourth when they were just standing around the perimeter (she was pointing at meme telling her to move move move).

I hope like I've said before playing full court press for an entire game is not going to sap this teams energy by mid-season or for parts of a lot of games. We really don't have the roster for pressing the entire game but certainly should use it to start the game drop back when they get across half court and guard your man. I guarantee none of the freshmen have ever had to play this type of intensity before in high school. Open threes and beating us on layups was their scoring last night. We don't want to give up points like that because of the press. We'll have to learn to play half court defense make teams shoot it outside while pressured and stop the layups.
Holly said we were low energy in the third quarter she needs to find out the reason why and do whatever she needs to do to prevent it in the future.
Bingo. Last night was the perfect example of how elite teams will beat us if we decide to press a lot.

This was an example because they were hitting open 3s and getting layups after beating our press. Elite teams will have the defense to back up those points. Just like Holly slowed the game down to work on the half court offense (which was pretty good last night if anyone noticed) but now she needs to experiment the defensive half court sets.

I really like our zone, we have the length for it to be disruptive. Smaller, elite guards will be tough to keep in front with our man defense, imo.

What i like about this board we can agree to disagree and still keep it friendly. As for KK and Collis the only pass i will give them it`s only two game into the season. Standing 6-4 6-3 and to get stuffed by someone 5-8 in the post to me unexpectable. To me KK will need to get some kind of lift on her shot. Not saying a lot, You can`t just stand flat foot and toss the ball up at the basket. As for Collins she hits the glass and can hit the jump shot. But i wish she work on going left more and shooting from above her head not from the side. This year we need to weather the storm in the Post, It`s our weak spot other then C. Green R. Davis. and i will throw Rae in there because she can play inside and outside. I watch Notre Dame vs Penn on Monday, and don`t get me wrong Penn is a much better team then the teams we played so far. Shepard and Turner was just to much to deal with. So what i`m saying is C.Green will need help from KK and Collins if we are gonna win the big games against the likes of TX ND Stan Tex.

Reactions: lvocd
Evina 4-6 2-2 from three 1-2 FT

Im still not impressed im not sure of why , i expected a big leap in her game this year and i still see those bone head passes and decisions from her . I dont see her holding on to her starting spot if Massengill continues to improve and Jordan Horston comes in next season and lives up to the Hype .

I cant see where a player has improved from season to season to be honest but im still holding on to hope i guess

I think Cheridene and Evina have improved. Cheridene is more aggressive and making better decisions and Evina has seemed like she is slowing down and letting the game come to her (plus she has made 3 straight 3 point shots.... I don’t think she hit one in her first couple of games last year).

Rennia might take a game or two to pick up the pace because she was out for a week so that throws off timing.

All in all we won’t be able to tell til some more games happen.

I think Cheridene and Evina have improved. Cheridene is more aggressive and making better decisions and Evina has seemed like she is slowing down and letting the game come to her (plus she has made 3 straight 3 point shots.... I don’t think she hit one in her first couple of games last year).

Rennia might take a game or two to pick up the pace because she was out for a week so that throws off timing.

All in all we won’t be able to tell til some more games happen.

London yes , Evina No . Last night she was making some questionable passes as she did last season . Evina should be playing SG not PG imo . Ive always thought she was a better SG than PG as she plays more aggressive when playing the 2 and shes not in control of making decisions other than scoring . Thats when she's at her best to me .

Im still not impressed im not sure of why , i expected a big leap in her game this year and i still see those bone head passes and decisions from her . I dont see her holding on to her starting spot if Massengill continues to improve and Jordan Horston comes in next season and lives up to the Hype .

She only has 3 turnovers... she will hold her starting spot if she continues to keep her turnovers down. Tougher competition will come but all in all not a bad first two games.

I have actually enjoyed watching her and am looking for her to continue to grow and progress.

London yes , Evina No . Last night she was making some questionable passes as she did last season . Evina should be playing SG not PG imo . Ive always thought she was a better SG than PG as she plays more aggressive when playing the 2 and shes not in control of making decisions other than scoring . Thats when she's at her best to me .
Respectfully disagree for playing 16 min she had one of the most productive stat lines.

But hey i can dig it if you expect more out of her. That would mean she is doing better than she is right now which is actually pretty good!

VN Store

Back