Game Thread Lady Vols vs. Stanford

How many short easy shots did we miss. Zaay Green has a flat shot needs more rotation on the ball. She shot 16 times made a few at the end still 6 of 16 still 37 percent and she has taken 96 shots on the season made 32 for 33 percent. I don't mind her shooting a couple when she is open but 16 on her average many heavily guarded is way to much. Cheridine was 3 of 6 seemed to eliminate her from the offense after the first quarter need more shots for her. She needs to play like a senior get aggressive don't worry about calls. Davis missing easy shot after easy shot inside you could see the frustration on her face. How did they outrebound us by 13 huge factor in the loss really disappointed in our board play in this game. Defense is playing the ball not reaching and grabbing.

Watched the game again, we missed a lot of chip shots in the paint, we get even half of those back we win. Our defensive intensity was poor last night, but I still felt like the body language was good, they never quit playing. Stanford just shot the ball too well. No excuse for us getting crushed on the glass like that though. Carrington is a great rebounder, she broke Chiney Ogwumike's single game record last year, but to let her get 13 defensive boards? Zaay Green has got to learn to get a body on someone and box out, shot goes up and she loses her man ball watching.

I still say that this team excites me though. Even though this was a loss I still think we look like a team I wouldn't want to be playing in March. It would appear that we can score the ball, our offense still gets stagnant but we at least have play makers now. I was extremely impressed with Evina's court vision last night, she has really improved her ability to deliver the ball in a position that the other player can score.

I haven't felt like we looked like a team that could make a deep tournament run for the last 5 years, this is the first team I've seen in a while that looks like they really have the desire and will to win games. They also look like a TEAM, not like a bunch of individuals who can barely stand each other. That is really what it takes at the end of the day. I hope they learn from this and bounce back better for having lost. I think a loss at this point last season would have done us a world of good. We're a better team this year, gotta hope this humbles them and they lock in on defense and the boards. If we sort out those two things we are going to be very hard to beat.

Also, how about only 8 turnovers! I am still impressed with that, game would have been entirely out of reach if we had our usual 17, we also turned them over far more than they normally do.

How many short easy shots did we miss. Zaay Green has a flat shot needs more rotation on the ball. She shot 16 times made a few at the end still 6 of 16 still 37 percent and she has taken 96 shots on the season made 32 for 33 percent. I don't mind her shooting a couple when she is open but 16 on her average many heavily guarded is way to much. Cheridine was 3 of 6 seemed to eliminate her from the offense after the first quarter need more shots for her. She needs to play like a senior get aggressive don't worry about calls. Davis missing easy shot after easy shot inside you could see the frustration on her face. How did they outrebound us by 13 huge factor in the loss really disappointed in our board play in this game. Defense is playing the ball not reaching and grabbing.

I agree with you on Zay !

I'm not impressed with our coach as you know, but I'll say that Stanford beat us on this one. Raining 3's is tough to overcome when we missed a lot of close shots.

I`m with you on the coach now this team will go on another cupcake run. What a awful schedule Holly put together !

Reactions: Momto2
not the worse game. stanford is ranked higher and they just beat baylor. UT missed 'easy shots' and lacked on defense. both are fixable. i just want meme to stay off instagram so much! reminds me how kortney dunbar was last year. i see why teams don't allow players to be on social media (as much as they can) during the season - gotta focus!

not the worse game. stanford is ranked higher and they just beat baylor. UT missed 'easy shots' and lacked on defense. both are fixable. i just want meme to stay off instagram so much! reminds me how kortney dunbar was last year. i see why teams don't allow players to be on social media (as much as they can) during the season - gotta focus!

They also lost to Gonzaga, so they might be a top team but there is so much parity this year its not even funny. Its pretty much Uconn and everyone else is way under that, this team might make a Elite 8 just because no one seems to be very good. Uconn slaps Notre Dame around and Notre Dame slapped around Gonzaga who beat Stanford. Notre Dame also slapped Oregon State around. Louisville has played 2 teams all year barely beating Arizona State and Kentucky. Ms State slapped Texas around but got beat by Oregon by 8. Maryland has not played anyone very good closest game being UGA. Baylor has beaten one team pretty much with Arizona State but lost to Stanford. Oregon beat Miss state and Syracuse but lost to michigan state. Womens game this year is so much blah, I don't mind parity, but besides UConn there really isnt another good to even great team.

They also lost to Gonzaga, so they might be a top team but there is so much parity this year its not even funny. Its pretty much Uconn and everyone else is way under that, this team might make a Elite 8 just because no one seems to be very good. Uconn slaps Notre Dame around and Notre Dame slapped around Gonzaga who beat Stanford. Notre Dame also slapped Oregon State around. Louisville has played 2 teams all year barely beating Arizona State and Kentucky. Ms State slapped Texas around but got beat by Oregon by 8. Maryland has not played anyone very good closest game being UGA. Baylor has beaten one team pretty much with Arizona State but lost to Stanford. Oregon beat Miss state and Syracuse but lost to michigan state. Womens game this year is so much blah, I don't mind parity, but besides UConn there really isnt another good to even great team.
very true...and it's still early. like they quoted tara last night "wait until february." it'll click for most teams and they'll improve in conference play. and yes, like always, maryland has a weak schedule (always ranked too high i think)

How many short easy shots did we miss. Zaay Green has a flat shot needs more rotation on the ball. She shot 16 times made a few at the end still 6 of 16 still 37 percent and she has taken 96 shots on the season made 32 for 33 percent. I don't mind her shooting a couple when she is open but 16 on her average many heavily guarded is way to much. Cheridine was 3 of 6 seemed to eliminate her from the offense after the first quarter need more shots for her. She needs to play like a senior get aggressive don't worry about calls. Davis missing easy shot after easy shot inside you could see the frustration on her face. How did they out rebound us by 13 huge factor in the loss really disappointed in our board play in this game. Defense is playing the ball not reaching and grabbing.

Every shot made by CG and attempted by her was a putback on a rebound.
For that, the Mendoza line is 4 of 6...She needs to work on this

Rennia needs a mentor...On the team, in the staff, ,, ??..,Where-ever,
but she needs one

Defense IS reaching (True, not grabbing),,but definitely reaching....Planned reaches:
swipes in the path of a potential crossover
Bating with one hand and reaching in on a crossover with the other
Reaching high on a vertical plain

Its the footwork that they are messin up on

This team could be really good if they ever start taking D seriously. Shot selection is a close second - too many want to look like a NBA player with the step back 3 and the euro move. Most of this is a recurring theme with Holly's teams.

Reactions: VolBall09
Stanford took something from the Golden State Warriors . Shoot three for their two. We fail to recruit three point shooters and the game is trending towards this kind of play.
Never step back from hot three point shooters or teams, send them inside where there's backup.
Zay should have been benched after missing shots early in the game, I would subbed her.
Not such what's ailing Rennia but her play has declined. Is she being played out of position? It's becoming routine where she's
only showing up last in the game.
She should be our first or second option as far as game plan on offense. Maybe the emergence of Westbrook has something to do with her play. This year Westbrook is hunting her own shot ,much like Russell Westbrook.
Zay Green should not be a STARTER, not yet.
The ladies competed but couldn't get over the hump.

Reactions: djtee
very true...and it's still early. like they quoted tara last night "wait until february." it'll click for most teams and they'll improve in conference play. and yes, like always, maryland has a weak schedule (always ranked too high i think)

yep, right now everyone is just trying to get some footing, last year LV started off great and it didnt end that way, hopefully this year they step up by the end of the season.

Everything comes down to Tennessee learning to play defense as a team and willing to put out the effort on defense to be successful. The close calls and the loss were all because of relaxed defense not making the effort on the boards because even when we made stops they got the rebound and second opportunities. This team will win 25 or more games but getting far in the tournament will be determined how they grow up on the defensive end of the floor and their determination to give teams only one opportunity to score in any possession.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Stanford took something from the Golden State Warriors . Shoot three for their two. We fail to recruit three point shooters and the game is trending towards this kind of play.
Never step back from hot three point shooters or teams, send them inside where there's backup.
Zay should have been benched after missing shots early in the game, I would subbed her.
Not such what's ailing Rennia but her play has declined. Is she being played out of position? It's becoming routine where she's
She should be our first or second option as far as game plan on offense. Maybe the emergence of Westbrook has something to do with her play. This year Westbrook is hunting her own shot ,much like Russell Westbrook.

We just recruited 3 freshmen and an out of country'er who can all pull a trigger on a three...
Now we need to beef up our post again and guess what, two bigs coming in next year...
so,
CHW can pick em and reel em in....but,
I'll put it this way...

"You have to be a brilliant General at the Summit (recruiting and planning),
and,
at the Summitt (game)"

Case in point:

7:18 to go in Q4, having just sustained a 9-0 run (without using a timeout: 3 left), Harris subs in for Collins, after the first foul shot from Mimi's back-to-back fouls...((( Now, London had just gone out (rest) and Collins came in and got back-to-back fouls....But Harris??. Who has yet to show up against cupcakes and we feed her to Stanford.????)))
(( I'd let Mimi foul out before I did this))

What happens after 30 seconds elapses:..
6:48 ,,,73-69
6:50 Harris late on boxout, Dodson putback 75-69...
6:35 Harris steps on the out of bounds line, turnover....
6:22 Harris late on rotation, causing Ren to leave her man, Ren's prior scores 77-69....
6:07 Harris sets a blindside pick, foul, = turnover....
5:56 Harris gets beat from behind on a Stanford OR and putback 79-69....
We sustain a now, 6-0 run
(no time out)
5:42 Rennia hits a 3, 79-72
....(No time out yet)....wait, here it is....
No...
It's a TV timeout.
Sigh

A 9-0 run ,, (Sub in a player that hasn't logged a productive minute against creampuffs) ,,, followed by a 6-0 run..............It isn't even about the fans now, it's about your players.
Protect them from this !

I'd burn four timeouts and a foul on the bench before I'd let this happen.
And I'd burn a few attitudes along the way,
or,
I'd finish with the bench and let my starters watch them.

A loss can be a good lesson, but it has to be taught!

We just recruited 3 freshmen and an out of country'er who can all pull a trigger on a three...
Now we need to beef up our post again and guess what, two bigs coming in next year...
so,
I'll put it this way...

and,
at the Summitt (game)"

Case in point:

7:18 to go in Q4, having just sustained a 9-0 run (without using a timeout: 3 left), Harris subs in for Collins, after the first foul shot from Mimi's back-to-back fouls...((( Now, London had just gone out (rest) and Collins came in and got back-to-back fouls....But Harris??. Who has yet to show up against cupcakes and we feed her to Stanford.????)))

6:22 Harris late on rotation, causing Ren to leave her man, Ren's prior scores 77-69....
(no time out)
No...
It's a TV timeout.
Sigh

A 9-0 run ,, (Sub in a player that hasn't logged a productive minute against creampuffs) ,,, followed by a 6-0 run..............It isn't even about the fans now, it's about your players.
Protect them from this !

or,

I TeeTotally agree!

so,
I'll put it this way...

and,
at the Summitt (game)"

Case in point:

(no time out)
No...
It's a TV timeout.
Sigh

Protect them from this !

or,

I think it is great that Harris has stuck around and getting a degree, but she has never and will never give us much during a game! Always looks lost and confused. CG better get her arse in gear or MIMI will and should be starting in her place. Green looks lost when she gets the ball like most all our post have for several years. She is a senior and needs to get going or git to the bench. KK will not be much help this year. She hurts me looking at her lumbering down the court and with the knee problems she needs to sit. Let the young ladies who hustle like Mimi have all the time playing because they will be around for a while. Davis has got to start the game with confidence as she seems to do later on. JMHO as always!
I agree Jump!

so,
I'll put it this way...

and,
at the Summitt (game)"

Case in point:

(no time out)
No...
It's a TV timeout.
Sigh

Protect them from this !

or,

On the money.
Notre Damn and Miss State will show who are our best 5 and 4 players.If any.

Reactions: sccshortstop

You didn't fail to recruit 3 point shooters, your coach fail to teach it. 3 point coaching has to come from a coach who implements it, letting players know that this style of a game could win a ball game when it comes to playing tough teams. When I started watching pat, I use to pay attention on how she would call her shooters like Zolman and told her , hey run , free ur self, movement without the ball and catch & shoot. Great shooting team never stay still, e.g Thompson of Golden state, Kevin, Curry..I pay attention to their movement on the court all the time. U watch Uconn u know that they always depends on 3s.. but the style comes from the coach.

Reactions: Momto2
so,
I'll put it this way...

and,
at the Summitt (game)"

Case in point:

(no time out)
No...
It's a TV timeout.
Sigh

Protect them from this !

or,

That was my issue at that moment as well Harris was the wrong sub, either go with MiMi, or try Rae before Harris at least Rae will look to get you a basket and will rebound out of her area

Stanford can't throw it in the ocean today of course. 2-13 for 15% from 3 and only 32% from the field so far against Buffalo, Carrington 0-2 and Smith 1-6 from 3 so far. They were just on fire the other night. Buffalo is a good defensive team, but not good enough to hold them to that shooting percentage. Guess they used up all their makes against us lol.

Really like the coach from Buffalo too, she does the most with the least it seems.

Last edited:
Need to take Zaay green out of the lineup she can't hit a shot.

what u talking bout?? I hate when any player is being criticized..Every player we have works hard, only player that needs to work more hard is the coach that's it. Z.Green miss shot but she constantly fighting back. Looke like u never watched her game.

VN Store

Back