Game Thread Lady Vols vs. Stanford

When I started loving lady Vols was back in Tameka Catchings time when PAT & lady vols were known as a defensive team but not anymore.

Reactions: sccshortstop
And Tara owned everyone else
You know the only player on Stanford I know we recruited was Maya Dodson. Tara is always going to find shooters for her style of play. Maya many thought was UT bound but she wanted the Stanford education. Cant blame her for that. I believe she was on the same team in Georgia that KK was on.

I hope Holly has 3 point shooting practice......Learn to make the 3 ball regularly, or the season will end to a team bombing us with 3's like tonight....It is almost a mathematical certainty.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
You know the only player on Stanford I know we recruited was Maya Dodson. Tara is always going to find shooters for her style of play. Maya many thought was UT bound but she wanted the Stanford education. Cant blame her for that. I believe she was on the same team in Georgia that KK was on.

Yeah she’s methodical in her recruiting, she has been recruiting for this exact offense they’re running for the last 3 years. I’ve also noticed she recruits a lot from places you don’t see many players. She often has kids from Wyoming, Colorado, Washington State etc where you don’t necessarily hear a lot of buzz about. Always seems to come up with really great, high IQ players.

Yeah she’s methodical in her recruiting, she has been recruiting for this exact offense they’re running for the last 3 years. I’ve also noticed she recruits a lot from places you don’t see many players. She often has kids from Wyoming, Colorado, Washington State etc where you don’t necessarily hear a lot of buzz about. Always seems to come up with really great, high IQ players.
Great stuff man!

It was a disappointing loss but there were a lot of good things done tonight. I think one thing is becoming obvious with this team and that is we are a better team with Collins in the game. I would like to see Rae more but when she was in, she was lost on defense tonight. That is why she didn't play more. Stanford was nailing the threes. Yes, we need better defense on the 3 ball but some tonight were about 6-8 feet behind the arc. Nobody defends the 3 out that far from the basket. Yes, I'm disappointed but pleased we didn't just roll over as some recent teams have. I'm encouraged by this young group and what can you say about Westbrook. She has grown so much as a player in one year. You don't see that much improvement very often in just 1 year. Keep your head up girls, it could be a nice year if you do.

Almost like she has a plan. Hmm

I hope Holly has 3 point shooting practice......Learn to make the 3 ball regularly, or the season will end to a team bombing us with 3's like tonight....It is almost a mathematical certainty.

Forget Holly, can Barnes work with the rest of the team on shooting? And rebounding? And defense? Tennessee is a men's basketball school now...

Anytime you allow 95 points in a womens basketball game you deserve to lose. We had enough breakdowns on defense tonight to lose twice. Even with their 14 threes we could win just by rebounding and stopping the layups on offensive rebounds.

All true,Volfan2012, but a more telling stat to me was that we had 75 shots to their 60. Our defense was not as good as it could have been,particularly on the three pointers,but,even then we win by hitting a higher percentage. Rennia,Zaay and MeMe were 15 of 45. MeMe missed ten three pointers. Had these three hit their normal percentage,the Lady Vols would have won. So with bad defense and not getting out on three point shooters,if our Ladies hit at a normal clip,they win. Put this one in the memory bank,and get ready for the SEC grind. Looking forward to these youngsters learning and growing as the season progresses! Go Lady Vols!! And does anyone know how GovernmentMule is?

Reactions: Rickster
Two things: Tara has height which doesn't get mentioned here. She played 3 non guards off the bench and they are all 6'2", with Coffey at 6'5". That in itself helped the Stanford rebounding effort. Dodson off the bench was great. She could be starting for a lot of schools.
Secondly, Carrington, the Stanford guard had 33 points , but also 13 rebounds. Except for Sabrina @ Oregon, what guard gets 13 rebounds? Carrington was hot all night. She just made her shots. What was missing was an effort at "face guarding" or denying her the ball. Didn't happen. Holly could have tried a box and one or MeMe just all over her. Didn't happen. Maybe I missed something here.
I thought good effort was exhibited all night.

LVs are a young team that needs to learn to play defense and rebound. Eighty-five points should be enough to win a game. I believe they will get better in these two categories. Kudos to Westbrook. She is a genuine superstar. I believe they can finish the regular season with a won-loss record of 25-4 if they improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickster
Honestly, I thought Tennessee would be terrible this year. They have far exceeded my expectations for this team.

In the last two games you really can't bad mouth Holly, or the Lady Vols. I have been very negative about Holly's coaching, however, for a young team they have held up well. Z. Green has done a great job for a first year player. Collins also held her own in the post. Most of all, we actually have vocal leadership on the floor. I am not going out on a limb and saying they are a final 4 team, but these young players are growing up. If they make it to the elite 8, it will be a successful year and if they make it to the final 4, they will have overachieved. This team has some tremendous upsides.

LVs are a young team that needs to learn to play defense and rebound. I believe they will get better in these two categories. Kudos to Westbrook. She is a genuine superstar. I believe they can finish the regular season with a won-loss record of 25-4 if they improve.

Last year 15-0 and we peaked
This year 8-1 and we are humbled.
This loss revealed our weaknesses.
You learn things from a loss that is impossible to see, in a win.

In the last two games you really can't bad mouth Holly, or the Lady Vols. I have been very negative about Holly's coaching, however, for a young team they have held up well. Z. Green has done a great job for a first year player. Collins also held her own in the post. Most of all, we actually have vocal leadership on the floor. I am not going out on a limb and saying they are a final 4 team, but these young players are growing up. If they make it to the elite 8, it will be a successful year and if they make it to the final 4, they will have overachieved. This team has some tremendous upsides.
I hope we make the E 8 but I don't see it this year. Hope I am wrong and I still say play Collins all she can play. Send Davis to a sports psychologist for her mental block. Davis has not played near as well as she did last year and we need her badly! She seems to pout and disappear. Evina is the real deal and very well be an AA blooming. Meme has to keep shooting to give EW the chance to do her thing.JMHO as always!

I don't disagree with you. They have been a better team than I thought they'd be. I was expecting at least 4 losses at this stage of the season.

I don't think they are a FF team because of their weaknesses inside, but they have athletic, talented perimeter players who are usually good shooters...which they haven't had in a while.

I hope we make the E 8 but I don't see it this year. Hope I am wrong and I still say play Collins all she can play. Send Davis to a sports psychologist for her mental block. Davis has not played near as well as she did last year and we need her badly! She seems to pout and disappear. Evina is the real deal and very well be an AA blooming. Meme has to keep shooting to give EW the chance to do her thing.JMHO as always!

Rennia is averaging 14 pts and 7 rbds game. Less than I thought she would, but she's shooting well and she's sharing the perimeter scoring load with Evina and Meme.

It's Cheridene and the freshmen who need to step it up.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I really had hoped she would be the surprise we need. I think maybe her lack of speed and somewhat a defensively liability has held her up, but most everyone has these problems unless you are MEME and Evina!

Can someone please tell me why the lady vol defense is so terrible? They preach defense and rebounding, they recruit athletes obviously rather than shooters, so seriously, why is it the Cardinal is able to run thru them like water thru a strainer?
Because we recruit athletes who simply out-athlete HS competition. Therefore, become highly ranked. Stanford, Uconn, etc recruit basketball players with bball SKILLS! AND ball IQ.

It was a disappointing loss but there were a lot of good things done tonight. I think one thing is becoming obvious with this team and that is we are a better team with Collins in the game. I would like to see Rae more but when she was in, she was lost on defense tonight. That is why she didn't play more. Stanford was nailing the threes. Yes, we need better defense on the 3 ball but some tonight were about 6-8 feet behind the arc. Nobody defends the 3 out that far from the basket. Yes, I'm disappointed but pleased we didn't just roll over as some recent teams have. I'm encouraged by this young group and what can you say about Westbrook. She has grown so much as a player in one year. You don't see that much improvement very often in just 1 year. Keep your head up girls, it could be a nice year if you do.

It was not that Rae was lost on defense it was Holly game plan to play a shorter bench. Not gonna work against the top teams as i said before.

Because we recruit athletes who simply out-athlete HS competition. Therefore, become highly ranked. Stanford, Uconn, etc recruit basketball players with bball SKILLS! AND ball IQ.
I saw where Ucant has a sophomore from Texas announced she is transferring for more playing time.

VN Store

Back