game is in Knoxville, TN

TV: SECN+

you can stream the game here

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

you can listen here

vs. Stanford

the Lady Vols are ranked 9th in the AP Top 25 poll and 8th in the Coaches poll

Stanford is ranked 8th in the AP Top 25 poll and 9th in the Coaches poll

Keys to the game: must control the boards, run them off of the 3 point line and attack them in transition. I believe we have an advantage in speed at almost every position. As always we will need to limit turnovers, Stanford generally takes good care of the basketball. I predict a game of possessions that may come down to the very last one. I take us in a close game 74-70.

Hoping governmetnmule is doing OK! I figured I would make us a game thread.

Last edited:
I think this one all depends on our defense. We have been relaxed in many parts of games this season. We'll have to take it to them for forty minutes tonight or we want win. They are not a physical team but they scratch and claw will be interesting how the refs call it tonight thought they got aways with a few fouls versus Baylor inside they will attack the post player up with a swarm of hands if it gets in there. Some fouls were not called and resulted in steals for them. They must have a great night shooting the three to win and we must stop it to win. If it goes inside and they triple post must be alert and quickly throw it out for a perimeter attempt.

Reactions: VolBall09
Better not get far behind as well as Stanford shoots. They will be coming into our house with confidence fresh off a big win. Hope Tara says this all game long....

200.gif

I think this one all depends on our defense. We have been relaxed in many parts of games this season. We'll have to take it to them for forty minutes tonight or we want win. They are not a physical team but they scratch and claw will be interesting how the refs call it tonight thought they got aways with a few fouls versus Baylor inside they will attack the post player up with a swarm of hands if it gets in there. Some fouls were not called and resulted in steals for them. They must have a great night shooting the three to win and we must stop it to win. If it goes inside and they triple post must be alert and quickly throw it out for a perimeter attempt.

I don't think Stanford will need to triple team the LV posts. There will be no Kalani Brown/Lauren Cox to defend, and it looks like Stanford has some size of their own. I think the ability of Tennessee's guards to score from the midrange-out vs. Stanford's overall outside shooting will determine the winner. I haven't seen Alanna Smith play before, but it sounds like she's more of a face up forward than a true post.

This will be my first time to see Tennessee play this season. Tennessee has the better players and is playing at home, so I like them in a close game.

I don't think Stanford will need to triple team the LV posts. There will be no Kalani Brown/Lauren Cox to defend, and it looks like Stanford has some size of their own. I think the ability of Tennessee's guards to score from the midrange-out vs. Stanford's overall outside shooting will determine the winner. I haven't seen Alanna Smith play before, but it sounds like she's more of a face up forward than a true post.

This will be my first time to see Tennessee play this season. Tennessee has the better players and is playing at home, so I like them in a close game.

You are correct. She is a face-up player. I’ve seen her play many times and don’t ever recall her really posting up. She shoots the 3 and can take it off the bounce, she’s got a nice mid-range jumper from the elbow. Main thing for tonight is we need to force them to take contested 2s and avoid giving up open 3s.

I've seen them play a couple times already. She is looking for the three if you stop that she will try to drive to the basket. They have three or four players that have a deadly three point stroke. Baylor didn't guard them much on the three point line in the first half of that game and they got burned. Baylor changed their approach late in the third quarter and almost pulled the game out. Was a very lazy defensive game by Baylor weak game plan and terrible shot selection early. Cox sat almost the entire game as Mulkey seemed to get annoyed by her play took her out and she never returned.
I expect them to pack in a zone. I don't think they can guard us in a man to man. their point guard is quick but other than her most are not that speedy. Dodson really gets on the offensive boards inside need to box her out when she is in the game. I think if KK plays she will be just as tough for them to defend as Brown and certainly Cox. In this particular game was not impressed with either one of them neither came to play.

I've seen them play a couple times already. She is looking for the three if you stop that she will try to drive to the basket. They have three or four players that have a deadly three point stroke. Baylor didn't guard them much on the three point line in the first half of that game and they got burned. Baylor changed their approach late in the third quarter and almost pulled the game out. Was a very lazy defensive game by Baylor weak game plan and terrible shot selection early. Cox sat almost the entire game as Mulkey seemed to get annoyed by her play took her out and she never returned.
I expect them to pack in a zone. I don't think they can guard us in a man to man. their point guard is quick but other than her most are not that speedy. Dodson really gets on the offensive boards inside need to box her out when she is in the game. I think if KK plays she will be just as tough for them to defend as Brown and certainly Cox. In this particular game was not impressed with either one of them neither came to play.

You are correct, Mulkey was absolutely disgusted with their defensive performance in the first half. Stanford obviously watched the tape of that Baylor/South Dakota State game, they used the exact same game plan of collapsing on the post and it was effective. Kalani Brown has got to wake up and play like she's 6'7" again, not sure if it is senior nerves or what, but she hasn't looked like herself. Cox either for that matter.

I'm excited to see Dodson and KK play against each other, I believe they were high school teammates.

Reactions: RollerVol
You have to feel that the girls will be coming to play with all they got tonight. I can see taking someone like Stetson lightly especially a young team of sophomores and freshmen. They know they are playing a very good team tonight I think they will be ready for the challenge.

Reactions: RollerVol
For those of us not attending, the game should be televised on the SEC Network--not just SECN+ --as indicated by the OP.

Hope defense and rebounding have improved during the layoff.

Have got to find the shooter in transition. It is pretty simple. 3s threes for their best player in the first 4 minutes. You can't tell me they didn't talk about that in the locker room before the game.

We NEVER have shooters like the other schools. We rarely hit bunnies. We'll probably get boat raced tonight if they dont hit shots. Simple as that.

Reactions: cutiepie5

VN Store

Back