Game Thread Lady Vols vs Presbyterian

I think they know what they have in Zay and just wanted to get the others more experience.

I can dig it! Plus i enjoyed those Rae Burrell moves she is smooth and more gritty than I thought! She def is playing with a chip on her shoulder and I think seeing her she could have been either a McDonalds all American or a Jordan Brand Classic memeber.

Reactions: ruvol and Pat4life
Almost as much as all the missed chippies, it disturbed me that Tennessee trailed Presby in rebounds at the half.

But I just went to the PC website and saw that their starters were a 6'4 RS Jr., a 6'2" senior, a 6' soph and two 5'7" guards. While I was watching the game I felt like Tennessee towered over them, but PC was actually a bit taller than some past teams UT have played against and were less than stellar rebounding against.

And NO, I am not suggesting that UT be excused for that awful rebounding half, but I don't feel quite as embarrassed by it as I did when I was feeling like our 6-plus footers were getting embarrassed by a group of five-footers!

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
One other thought: There are three players who appear to make up their minds they are going to shoot next time they touch the ball long before the ball ever gets to them in the offense, and it could hurt us in the future IMO.

I won't name names, but one of them should know better than that by now.

Defensively, we got off to a great start with our press! That lead to a lot of easy baskets, and had we made our layups, we would've won by a bigger margin. Additionally, the freshman -- particularly Zaay and Rae -- continue to impress.

My concern though is what Holly will do when elite teams|guards break the press with ease and we ACTUALLY have to defend in the half court. What happens when we're not generating a lot points off of steals and we have to execute on offense? What happens when we've played enough games to where teams can devise a scout against who seems to be our two best players -- Zaay and Davis? These are things I'll be watching for as the season progresses.

I hope but not sure that KK will be anywhere near what a lot of us had hoped! JMHO

Good point but she has time i could be wrong but i think the best lineup up front is C.Greene, Davis, Zay Green. After Looking at Rae play two game she is long has big time skills and will battle down low like Holly said. She would to me be the first player off the bench for Zay or Davis. Collins is very hard to judge if you ask me. Because case in HS she played the low post the 4 and 5. Now Holly is having her play more on the perimeter and she is still learning. As for KK she should be the first to spell C.Greene at the 5.

Reactions: Pat4life
Ttharpe? Who be in our starting five based on the last two games performance and/or production?

Good point but she has time i could be wrong but i think the best lineup up front is C.Greene, Davis, Zay Green. After Looking at Rae play two game she is long has big time skills and will battle down low like Holly said. She would to me be the first player off the bench for Zay or Davis. Collins is very hard to judge if you ask me. Because case in HS she played the low post the 4 and 5. Now Holly is having her play more on the perimeter and she is still learning. As for KK she should be the first to spell C.Greene at the 5.

Nice post! Collins is smart, you see her doing all the little things to help the team, boards, setting good screens, until she figures out her role.

Reactions: governmentmule
Nice post! Collins is smart, you see her doing all the little things to help the team, boards, setting good screens, until she figures out her role.

Yes and the one thing i like about her Collins is that she`s getting better and better on the offensive end.

Ttharpe? Who be in our starting five based on the last two games performance and/or production?

Based on the last two performances, I think the starting five should be:

Evina
Zaay
Meme - (only because of her activitity on D)
Davis
Green

However, I do wish that Holly was quick to bench players that aren't hitting their layups. Send a message by calling a timeout and expressing that missing point blank layups is unacceptable. It doesn't matter if we're winning by double digits! To me, there doesn't seem to be any frustration (at least visible) on her part that this will cost the team eventually.

Based on the last two performances, I think the starting five should be:

Evina
Zaay
Meme - (only because of her activitity on D)
Davis
Green

However, I do wish that Holly was quick to bench players that aren't hitting their layups. Send a message by calling a timeout and expressing that missing point blank layups is unacceptable. It doesn't matter if we're winning by double digits! To me, there doesn't seem to be any frustration (at least visible) on her part that this will cost the team eventually.

calling a timeout?
You are new.

Reactions: Rixxx and Nuyoika
I would of liked Holly to use a time out to address the teams lack of rebounding in the first half. CPS would not tolerate that at all and would of met a player at half court with the stare.
I get Holly doesn’t have the same demeanor and respect that. But Holly knows herself that our approach in the first half to rebounding wasn’t acceptable . Correct it now and let them know we won’t play that way. Come SEC time we can’t afford that type of playing.

What happens when we've played enough games to where teams can devise a scout against who seems to be our two best players -- Zaay and Davis? These are things I'll be watching for as the season progresses.

That's my #1 concern, and has been my main concern for many years.

So far -- and I know that we've only seen two games -- I am not getting the feeling that the half-court offense has been tweaked or improved in any significant way, so it hurts to imagine that another "Groundhog Day"-type season may be ahead.

Drastic changes needed to be made. Were they? Still too soon to tell for sure, but I'm nervous.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
P.S. Still crazy about our freshmen -- EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I honestly believe that Tennessee could beat the majority of teams on its schedule with a 7-player rotation of the four freshmen, Rennia, Evina and Cheridene.

P.S. Still crazy about our freshmen -- EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I honestly believe that Tennessee could beat the majority of teams on its schedule with a 7-player rotation of the four freshmen, Rennia, Evina and Cheridene.

Dat part!

You're alone...No KK, no Meme...Why be like that. Meme bounced back from a moment of passion and played a very good 2nd half and KK is playing physical in the post. We need em all. Hopefully Harris will make a jump into this level with some PT.

Reactions: ruvol
Yes she was playing the 3 today, she prolly won't always score but she will defend and rebound.

The only problem i see with this team is the front court vs the TOP teams, I think C.Greene can play with the top players in the country. But KK not yet so keeping Greene and KK out of foul trouble will be very important.

The only problem i see with this team is the front court vs the TOP teams, I think C.Greene can play with the top players in the country. But KK not yet so keeping Greene and KK out of foul trouble will be very important.

Kk is the type of athlete that will play to the level expected of her.
She has done just that so far this year.

I look forward to seeing if Godzilla can be G in a group of G's

Nice post.

Yeah I can see London holding her own! But a lot of teams are playing 4 and 1 and 5 out, not too many big front courts, so this may allow KK time to develop.

We are going to see opposing top team put four guards/wings or five guards/wings on the floor, without a traditional post player.

So, the lady vols gotta have the ability to play efficiently small, and be able to play big this year and going forward, that's the way the game is evolving.

Front court is not major concern for me, moreso than our guards/wings ability to knock down shots efficiently on all three levels.

VN Store

Back