Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Ole Miss; Thurs Feb 2nd @ 6:30PM; SECN+

Maybe someone should send this to Kellie?

I know Kellie is intelligent, and one thing I'll give her is that she is far more eloquent and well-spoken than Holly ever was. But this little "I hate change" mini-tantrum/hissy fit, whatever you want to call it, makes her look like an idiot...
I never want to call a person an idiot and I’m not knocking you for it you have freedom of speech but to me that is being stubborn and foolish on her part and that’s another turn off to recruits and the recruits’ parents for the people who says coaches use negative recruiting against her it might not be negative it might be RIGHT I’m not in the know so it’s an opinion

Agree, at this point Darby needs to be coming off the bench.

I would disagree. I'm quite the Puckett and Pissott fan, and I still think both have potential starter abilities, but this is my current 5 that I'm playing when the game is on the line...

RJ, Horston, JF, TD, JW

The stats back me up on this too.

Darby stretches the floor to let others work.
JW provides defense, toughness, and organization.
RJ & Horston are simply our best players by a country mile.
Of our post players, JF is the best, and statistically, it's not even that close. She leads all our posts in PER, Player Off Rating, and Player Def Rating.

Just compare Jill to JF during SEC play. JF is better in every statistical category on a per-minute basis.

I would disagree. I'm quite the Puckett and Pissott fan, and I still think both have potential starter abilities, but this is my current 5 that I'm playing when the game is on the line...

RJ, Horston, JF, TD, JW

Of our post players, JF is the best, and statistically, it's not even that close. She leads all our posts in PER, Player Off Rating, and Player Def Rating.

Just compare Jill to JF during SEC play. JF is better in every statistical category on a per-minute basis.
IMO, until Tess can be the sharp shooter Courtney Lyle says she is in big games, let her come off the bench. Faster teams give her problems on defense and she can’t get shots off. Last 3 games, 12 points in 61 minutes.

Reactions: Prophet1

RJ, Horston, JF, TD, JW

Concur but i think a case could be made for JH at center. I will take your word that Frankin has better stats but there is the intangible of a bigger player (6-5 versus 6-1) that could be important for some matchups. And I think Holingshead has been coming on strong in recent games too.

To me, the bigger implication is that Karoline should really be the 3rd choice at post.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with coaching decisions and trying to win a game? Sure some players think it makes them elite to start. Not really a concern of mine. All I am saying and that is my story and I'm sticking to it is that minutes played by the best players are most important whether they are starting or not. To me finishing would be more important than starting. Of course if you have five players that are going to play all 40 minutes they have to start.

One of the coolest things about going to the games at TBA is the pre-tip introductions of the starting lineups. The five Lady Vols who start the game each get their name and hometown called out to MUCH hoopla. The crowd goes wild for each starter, one by one, as the crowd shows their appreciation for each one.

Then as the last starter reaches her teammates out on the court and they’ve all high-fived and hyped each other, the announcer says …

… in a much more subdued tone …

… “And the rest of your Tennessee Lady Vols.” They all very quickly run out there as a group and in just a couple of seconds the horn blows to signal it’s time to get the “rest of the team” out of the way and get the starters to center court for the tip.

Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but I always got a big thrill out of having my name being called out as a starter and having fans clap for me. It felt good!

It just seems to me like a no-brainer that most young people would rather come out to some special hoopla than just come out as the unnamed extra players.

Reactions: brieeallen
One of the coolest things about going to the games at TBA is the pre-tip introductions of the starting lineups. The five Lady Vols who start the game each get their name and hometown called out to MUCH hoopla. The crowd goes wild for each starter, one by one, as the crowd shows their appreciation for each one.

Then as the last starter reaches her teammates out on the court and they’ve all high-fived and hyped each other, the announcer says …

… “And the rest of your Tennessee Lady Vols.” They all very quickly run out there as a group and in just a couple of seconds the horn blows to signal it’s time to get the “rest of the team” out of the way and get the starters to center court for the tip.

Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but I always got a big thrill out of having my name being called out as a starter and having fans clap for me. It felt good!

It just seems to me like a no-brainer that most young people would rather come out to some special hoopla than just come out as the unnamed extra players.
I know and five players can get their names called and only five players. That is not a problem Coach picks who she wants to start and I don't agree with who she starts, but I disagree more when she lets certain people play more minutes than they should be playing. If she can't start the other players she at least needs to give them starter minutes. She says she needs to keep JH out of foul trouble and I can go along with that. If she commits two fouls in the first five minutes she sits 15 minutes. I've noticed that most of her minutes are coming in second half of games. Still if Kellie ever decides to start her I will be all for it.

Reactions: lvocd

Said a long time ago, if starting means nothing or not much then stop with the grand intros.

IMO, until Tess can be the sharp shooter Courtney Lyle says she is in big games, let her come off the bench. Faster teams give her problems on defense and she can’t get shots off. Last 3 games, 12 points in 61 minutes.

I don't blame Tess, she's something like 14-31 (45%) from 3 against ranked teams, which is pretty elite. No, she can't create much on her own, but we should be running better plays to get her more looks - why wouldn't you for a player who can hit at that clip in the biggest games?

She needs to move better off the ball. Even if it’s just a big jab step or false cut. She has to force her defender to do something other than stand 1’ in front of her.

Earlier this season she was doing a nice job of attacking off the dribble when teams were bellying up to her. She has lost confidence in that move after a few travel calls.

Even though she is not scoring, our offensive spacing is better as soon as she’s on the floor. That’s obvious due to the attention she draws from the defense. She takes one whole player out of helpside to face guard her the last few games. Big compliment to a player who was unheralded out of high school.

She needs to move better off the ball. Even if it’s just a big jab step or false cut. She has to force her defender to do something other than stand 1’ in front of her.

Earlier this season she was doing a nice job of attacking off the dribble when teams were bellying up to her. She has lost confidence in that move after a few travel calls.

Even though she is not scoring, our offensive spacing is better as soon as she’s on the floor. That’s obvious due to the attention she draws from the defense. She takes one whole player out of helpside to face guard her the last few games. Big compliment to a player who was unheralded out of high school.
Agree, she’s more stationary outside waiting instead of creating. Against the better teams she fades away.

I don't blame Tess, she's something like 14-31 (45%) from 3 against ranked teams, which is pretty elite. No, she can't create much on her own, but we should be running better plays to get her more looks - why wouldn't you for a player who can hit at that clip in the biggest games?

Yes! She is the 2nd best 3-point shooter percentage wise in the SEC and is 3rd in made 3-pointers, so these are exceptional numbers that also extend to games against the best teams as you pointed out. It is true that the last game was perhaps her weakest in a while, but most players have off games. She is getting immense defensive coverage now and it opens the lanes more for RJ and Jordy. So, as longs as she is making 2 or 3 a game like she is, it will keep the defense spread more than any other player we have.

Yes! The entire team needs to move better off the ball, but I gather through something Jordan Horston recently said that this is an area they are working on. Moving more and making quicker cuts. Obviously our players don't have the foot-speed to be truly elite in that area, but as I have said before, their heart really does make up for some of their shortcomings.

Anyone who accuses this team of "not wanting it enough" or "not putting forth enough effort" can just kiss my hind end! lol But seriously, I honestly feel like they are ALL giving their all each and every game, and I couldn't be more proud of them.

And this includes Kellie and her staff, too! In the last couple of days I've expressed my frustration over a couple of things my old self might do differently than Kellie, but there is noone on this planet I'd rather have coaching my beloved Tennessee Lady Vols than Kellie. Do I feel like she needs to try being less stubborn and more flexible? Yes. But do I think it's time to look elsewhere just because she hasn't yet realized this? HELL NO!

lots of times i seen tess open put hand up wanting the ball but does not get pass. the team tenns plays knows the other players are using tess as decoy. there geting wise to that. tess or sara playing three shoter guard spot needs about ten .

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Concur but i think a case could be made for JH at center. I will take your word that Frankin has better stats but there is the intangible of a bigger player (6-5 versus 6-1) that could be important for some matchups. And I think Holingshead has been coming on strong in recent games too.

To me, the bigger implication is that Karoline should really be the 3rd choice at post.

That's fair. Jill has been doing better. I was curious about the last 3 games and Jill has been better than JF in 2 of the 3.

Reactions: madtownvol
I think Tess, Sarah, and Karoline could all benefit heavily from watching or even possibly working with Ashley Joens.

She is one of the very best players I’ve ever seen at getting open without elite athleticism. She never stops moving, she exhausts defender after defender and she’s constantly a threat offensively.

And I know it’s odd to mention a contemporary like that, but I have a feeling she would be a dynamite coach if her WNBA dreams don’t pan out. She clearly understands basketball on a level most do not.

I think Tess, Sarah, and Karoline could all benefit heavily from watching or even possibly working with Ashley Joens.

She is one of the very best players I’ve ever seen at getting open without elite athleticism. She never stops moving, she exhausts defender after defender and she’s constantly a threat offensively.

And I know it’s odd to mention a contemporary like that, but I have a feeling she would be a dynamite coach if her WNBA dreams don’t pan out. She clearly understands basketball on a level most do not.
You're right, Joens never stops moving.
An observation. Joens is a scorer but not the most efficient. She shoots 42.5% in fg's and 36.1% from 3.

BUMP for those who want to review the comments on the February Ole Miss Lady Vols game.

some of our boarders were not impressed with Ole Miss

Coach Yo felt like that was the worst game they played all season. Watched an interview where she discussed how much that loss changed their perspective. We really controlled that game.

So many people wrote the SEC off as being “down” this season but in reality I was “deep.”

Lots of great coaching and great players. Tons of really good transfers and high school recruits in the SEC. It’s loaded with talent from top to bottom.

Just look at a team like Arkansas. They have a good coach a great roster and couldn’t get anything important done in the SEC at all. League was just too good this season.

VN Store

Back