Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. LSU

Not sure what that says about their couch... they have some pretty good players as well.
Yep, I thought U.T. Should have hired her instead of Holly when coach Summit left. She has been a Huge disappointment at L.S.U. Shows what I know, although just maybe she would have been better than Holly. Looks like both will be out of a job after this season. People who just want someone with coach Summit’s bloodline are missing the boat. Just because they played or coached with her means nothing. They didn’t learn how to be a top coach.

Looking at this team play today if we had a post player that could send back shots or make players alter there shot, This team would have won a lot more games. LSU got a lot of there point in the lane today.
Yep, coach insists on forcing the ball in to a weak post, many times while playing against a collapsing , zone. Kicking the ball back out to a wide open shooter doesn't seem to be in the plan.

SEC Network, good last minute in the 3rd, two good stops and nice shot to draw within 2, nice play call at the end of the qtr leaving a wide open 3, but she missed, play was there and would have been huge momentum going into the 4th. LSU coach going after refs between qtrs, calls have been pro TN for the most part. That’s fair, a lot of games it goes the other way. Let’s see if it evens out in the 4th after her complaints.
sorry... didnt see your reply until just now ... thank you

Yep, coach insists on forcing the ball in to a weak post, many times while playing against a collapsing , zone. Kicking the ball back out to a wide open shooter doesn't seem to be in the plan.

It is amazing that Holly continues with a weak offensive plans no matter who is in the post. Our offense has little imagination, however, when we dribble drive we seem to put pressure on the defense. I am glad we won, however, the coaching continues to be shaky.

Reactions: Creekdog
It is amazing that Holly continues with a weak offensive plans no matter who is in the post. Our offense has little imagination, however, when we dribble drive we seem to put pressure on the defense. I am glad we won, however, the coaching continues to be shaky.

If Holly think just throwing the ball into the post players against Teaira Mccowan trying to draw a foul will be just crazy.

In fairness to the post players, if Westbrook and Davis played the way they did the second half this team would have won a lot more games. Especially at the same time. Unfortunately, most of the time one or both play the way they did the first half.

You're right about the posts also. Cher tries her best but just not enough. T. McCowan licking her chops as we speak.

Speaking of MSU, ya'll see Shaffer at halftime? You know when someone has a new favorite word and they drop it in constantly? Vic's is coachspeak term "piece" as in the mental piece, the defensive piece, the chemistry piece. Gonna tear us to piece tomorrow I'm afraid.

Haha haha
Maybe we can “piece” together a win?? We are due for the unlikely upset ! Legggggggooooooooooooo LV!! Come on !

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Just watched the game.
Recorded it and watched it after a 12 hour day

Man, was it worth the wait
too close
But a wins a win

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Haha haha
Maybe we can “piece” together a win?? We are due for the unlikely upset ! Legggggggooooooooooooo LV!! Come on !
Overdue for an unlikely upset. In fact, anyone remember the last unlikely upset our team pulled off? I can't remember one, unless you consider every game we win an unlikely upset.

Remember when we used to talk about avoiding the unlikely upset early in the SEC tourney, not needing one? That would be as we late-rolled into town, get checked in, catch a bit of the night games tonight but save the energy for when the REAL tourney begins tomorrow in the quarters? Glory days.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
BiscuitsGravy342.jpg

Yep, I thought U.T. Should have hired her instead of Holly when coach Summit left. She has been a Huge disappointment at L.S.U. Shows what I know, although just maybe she would have been better than Holly. Looks like both will be out of a job after this season. People who just want someone with coach Summit’s bloodline are missing the boat. Just because they played or coached with her means nothing. They didn’t learn how to be a top coach.
Coach Vargas, then Caldwell, first went to UCLA and was having really good success in turning around a moribund program. At the time she took the LSU job, that was a big step up as LSU had been a very elite program.

I am really surprised she has not had more success there.

I am very happy the LVs eek out a win and I hope that it razor thin victory does enough to get them in the NCAA tournament.

Rennia and Evina came up huge in the 2nd half and Collins made some very necessary clutch plays.

Unfortunately, this game was a battle between two (talent-rich) subpar teams that don't know how to secure a win. The game turned on who was slightly less inept down the stretch.

It will take some remarkable events for the LVs to win on Friday. Someone like Jackson or Collins would have to a magical night and go for 25-30 while Rennia and Evina chip in 20 or so and Green plays at her high energy crash the board best. And given all that, MissST would also need to have an off night.

I would love to see that happen but all those pieces falling into place are long odds.

Reactions: Bret178
Aww precious Tamika said MeMe had a "little shooting slump". Bless.

Missed layup drill in progress.

Who loves short shorts? Zaay love short shorts! Bet there's a new SEC uniform rule next season.

Evina go bye bye, 2 fouls.

You are so hilarious . Please please post during the Msstate game ! I can’t wait! Reading this 12 hours after the game and you’re cracking me up !!

I agree that this win likely puts us in the tournament, although I'm not sure if the word "safely" is the best choice. I do think a few point-blank misses by LSU under the basket likely saved Holly Warlick's job, and she knows it.

Those upraised fists might have been celebrating that as much as the win. Unfortunately, she may feel that eeking out a win against a lower-division SEC team vindicates her coaching over the past four seasons.

2viuqa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not as sold on that theory as Mr. Creme is. Our RPI will likely still be better than a mid-major with a good record if they drop a game to any of the teams in their conference during the conference tourney. Only scenario I see that could cause problems is the Summit League Championship with both South Dakota and South Dakota State in that league. I think there are other teams that will affect before us though. I do believe this win safely puts us in the tournament.

Drake is currently ranked #22. Should they lose the MVC championship to MoState, who beat them earlier and came close last Sunday, the committee could take two teams there...?

You are so hilarious . Please please post during the Msstate game ! I can’t wait! Reading this 12 hours after the game and you’re cracking me up !!
You're awfully sweet to say, but real life will probably preclude me posting during the game today. Plenty of other posters better than me will take up the task tho.

Drake is currently ranked #22. Should they lose the MVC championship to MoState, who beat them earlier and came close last Sunday, the committee could take two teams there...?

Yes that certainly could happen. The reason I don’t feel it affects UT is because I don’t believe we’re one of the last 4 in. Our record and RPI would indicate that, but money says otherwise. I could be wrong of course, but the NCAA tournament selection committee historically appears to put some thought into $$$. Which is why they often schedule better teams closer to home. UT won’t be playing closer to home, but they still draw a crowd which = $$$$ and they don’t have to televise empty seats in earlier rounds. If it comes down to it the Lady Vols will get in over other teams on the bubble. For money reasons as well Oregon could likely be the #1 OR #2 seed and still be in Portland because they want to have bigger crowds.

Even if we are last four in, if it comes down to choosing between us and teams like Indiana, Ohio, Butler etc. that will have maybe 25 assorted family members in the stands. Or UT that will still draw a crowd in the thousands, even with this sad season, they’ll put UT in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If Holly think just throwing the ball into the post players against Teaira Mccowan trying to draw a foul will be just crazy.

Have to pull her away from the basket to draw fouls on her. She does not have the lateral movement ability to guard away from the basket. If they can get her caught up in the pick and roll with Westbrook and C. Green and force the switch Westbrook can draw fouls on her if she creates contact before they get to the block. If for any reason she is on Mimi Collins they need to run her to the high post. Collins has some driving ability and can shoot the 3. That’s what MIZZOU did to her. They played very small ball for a good chunk of that game with Schutes at the 5. She’s 6’2” and built like Rennia but about 15% as athletic. She can hit the 3 though, pulled McCowan out of the paint, knocked down some big shots and it kept Tierra out of defensive rebounding position. She only had 3 defensive boards that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: djtee
Have to pull her away from the basket to draw fouls on her. She does not have the lateral movement ability to guard away from the basket. If they can get her caught up in the pick and roll with Westbrook and C. Green and force the switch Westbrook can draw fouls on her if she creates contact before they get to the block. If for any reason she is on Mimi Collins they need to run her to the high post. Collins has some driving ability and can shoot the 3. That’s what MIZZOU did to her. They played very small ball for a good chunk of that game with Schutes at the 5. She’s 6’2” and built like Rennia but about 15% as athletic. She can hit the 3 though, pulled McCowan out of the paint, knocked down some big shots and it kept Tierra out of offensive rebounding position where she does most of her damage.
Your plan, while a good one, requires strategy and then implementation. Two areas where we have fallen short this year.

Your plan, while a good one, requires strategy and then implementation. Two areas where we have fallen short this year.

You are correct of course, unfortunately. I am curious to see how Westbrook changes the game though. We played them OK for 3 quarters in the first meeting without her. The wheels fell off our guard play and defense in the fourth quarter and it got ugly.

I think Westbrook is elite enough to figure out the pick and roll situation and execute on her own. If she watched the tape of the Oregon/MSST game she got a good look at it. They ran her in the pick and roll with Ionescu and Hebard all night.

Last edited:
Reactions: volnationnj

VN Store

Back