Game Thread: Lady Vols Vs LSU: SEC Semi; 6:30 PM on ESPNU (((WIN 69-67)

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
001.jpg
Coach Jumper's Predictions: 65-60
  1. Limit F johnson & A Morris 3 pt shooting (held em to 3 for 8)
  2. Karo/Jillian tag team A Reese (Reese 22 pts)
  3. Switching defenses will keep LSU off balance (switching defenses worked)
  4. Turnovers will be key for both teams (TN 22; LSU 16) ( 17 to's each...TN 4 in 2nd half)
@J-Dog 1313 82-71
@DSunAthletics 74-63
@Vols2015 75-57
@mad4vols 86-68
@Ladyvol777 76-74
@Volfaninfl2 78-76
@Raebo 73-68
@Rooster1 78-73
37620VOL 68-77
glv98 64-72

@VolBalls33 74-69

002.jpg
002.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
LVs 82--71. I see stellar numbers again from Rickea, Jordan H, and Tess. GBO.
I hope Tess has a big game but I'm concerned she won't get a bunch of open looks vs a team like LSU.

Got to take care of the ball this time. The X factor is our defense vs Morris. We can't let her get hot because she is tough to stop for anyone if she clicking. If they can keep Morris somewhat in check, they can win this round.

Who will LSU put on Rickea J and Horston? On the flip side, if I’m TN mix in the full press early and often. It disrupted LSU offense in the first game and led to TN cutting the lead down to 1 point late in the 2nd half.
They don’t have a single defender that can guard TN lottery picks.. that steal by Reese and celebration dance in LSU will be revenged tomorrow night. Tennessee is back!

We’ll have to stop both Morris and Johnson, who each made 5 3 pointers yesterday against Georgia, and for goodness sakes, protect the ball. Get the ball to Rickea. Keep scoring like we did yesterday.
Who wants it most?

TN 78-76

GLV!!!

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll be the one since I decided a month ago not to predict a Tenn win against a top 20 team until we actually beat a top 20 team so……

LSU-73
Tenn-68

RJ should be game planned to get 20 or so shots in this game. Holl and Strip need to contain Reese somewhat in the post, make her work for everything and have a body on her at all times. I don’t think Walker can guard Morris effectively for most of the game, will be interesting to see how CKH sets her defense. I would like to see some lineups where Stripling and Holl play together on the court with RJ, JH and one of the PG’s.

TD prob won’t get a ton of open looks in this game, but she has been playing well. Wish she would pump fake her 3 once in awhile and try to drive toward the rim when she has a defender on her close. She might even draw some fouls if she can do that.

This is a game where Holl needs to stay out of foul trouble and play most of the game. She can score on LSU’s post players, but she has to avoid picking up 2-3 early fouls, especially with the slippery Reese operating down low who is excellent at drawing fouls, maybe the best in the conference.

The last time these two played, it was a good game, probably will be close again so turnovers have to be kept to a minimum and JH will need to play in control like she is capable of. Mulkey is a great in game coach, CKH needs to step up her in game coaching today and use her TO’s wisely, esp to stop LSU scoring runs. All of these things can be done.

LSU 78
UT 73

Dawn Staley, South Carolina next for Ole Miss women's basketball

Last edited:
HHS has us losing 70.6 - 77.4

I'm having a tough time with this one. It's a tough game plan because they have several girls that can light you up from 3 if you don't guard them. Fortunately, one of those is not Reece, so you would only guard her at the FT line and closer to the basket. I would double her on any drives to the basket. We struggle with rotations, but I think you have to live with the results.

They are probably going to do what UK did to us in the second half. Put someone in Tess's shirt and pack the paint. Scary thought but this game might come down to Walker and Horston making 3-pointers.

Unfortunately, I think LSU takes this one from us on the boards and the 3-point line and we lose 68-77.

Lady Vols bring it!

Expect big games from Jackson, Horston, Hollingshead and Darby!

TN: 75
LSU: 67

Tennessee will be the better team today. They can’t matchup with Horston or Rickea J. Rickea J is the best offensive player in the SEC by far and arguably the country.. if she touched the ball every possession her numbers would be even better.

Tennessee will be the better team today. They can’t matchup with Horston or Rickea J. Rickea J is the best offensive player in the SEC by far and arguably the country.. if she touched the ball every possession her numbers would be even better.
RJ is awesome, best mid range jumper in the game. Clark is the top offensive player in WBB though.

LVs 82--71. I see stellar numbers again from Rickea, Jordan H, and Tess. GBO.

X-factor #1 is Jillian Hollingshead. She is the most versatile 4/5 in this matchup. She needs to play with poise and grit today.
X-factor #2 is Tess Darby. I keep hearing chatter about her not getting the shots off against LSU. They are too small on the perimeter to affect her shot if TN runs the offense.. I would definitely matchup Darby with #5 on defense and look to run plays to get her open when the two backup guards for LSU are on the court. Neither of them is particularly athletic.
Coach Harper can’t waste minutes in this game.. if any reserve or starter is not in the flow of the game and making an impact then they need to sit. This isn’t the time of the year to have to work out kinks.
Tennessee is back… that 2027 commit is the next up. Definitely a generational prospect.

Last edited:
I'm trying to see it, I want to see it, I'm squenching my eyes hard, but I just can't see it. Because we just are who we are, and the breakdowns, espec turnovers, will doom us I'm afraid.

Last time, Jordan Walker scored 19 pts, had a career game. Not exactly counting on that again, but we need the PGs to really play well, and someone to be able to guard Morris. Then theres the Flaue'jae problem. Yikes. I'm afraid we're badly overmatched here.

Last time Tess had just 2 3s. Need at least twice that to loosen up the paint.

Last time, Jordan Horston was just off, all around. Certainly we can't survive that, and I think she will play well this time. But must keep her t.o.s to 3 or less.

Last time RJ 'only' had 17 against them and they were tough points to get. That was in large part bc JH was not creating much of a problem for them to worry about. RJ got up just 14 shots against them, needs to get up more tonight. I don't expect her to go off for 30 (but I'd be ok), but she needs to keep the 20s streak going for us to have a chance.

This is probably the biggest game of KJH career to date. Last chance to get a signiture W that helps mitigate the seeding damage of her overscheduling mistake. Yet another opportunity to break the spell of 0-fer against ranked teams. She desperately needs this game.

But I just can't see it.

LSU - 72-64

Last edited:
Previous game notes:

Morris went for 31 last matchup. Reese had 17 rebounds. F. Johnson was a non factor.
Walker had 19. Strip didn’t play at all. JH was off that game. RJ was smooth as always but had to work hard.

Turnovers were about equal. LSU shot 31 FT’s to UT’s 12.

Last edited:
LSU is likely to do a better job collapsing on Rickea as she posts up than Kentucky did -- and size matters. My guess is they'll face guard Tess to keep her from getting hot, and will play fairly tight on Horston. I don't know how they'll manage it, but some how, some way, Karoline and Jillian have to score a decent number of points and get rebounds on Angel Freakin' Reese. 😲

Mulkey knows they are quicker than us, so her guards will be straight-driving the lane trying to get us into foul trouble. It's going to be a really, really tough game to win IMO, and we may need LSU to have a bad shooting night to pull it off.

Our team can do it -- not saying they can't! But man, LSU sure is bringing it at the right time for them. Lady Vols need a little magic tonight, but since I'm feeling better about their health -- I did not hear any congestion in anyone's voices yesterday or see/hear any sniffling, thank goodness! -- I'm also feeling strangely better about our chances.

Unfortunately, I think this game will look the way most big games have looked this season.

I’m preparing myself to watch the LVs dig themselves into a hole too deep climb out of. They will have moments where they look like the team we thought they would be, but will fall short due to bad decision making. Kim Mulkey has this LSU team playing really well.

LSU by 15.

That said, I would love for this to be the game where they put it all together. I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: Majors
I would love us to be able to go lower than ten turnovers and stay even on the boards in this game. This game actually represents playing at home versus probably playing at North Carolina Chapel Hill or even out West. I always feel were like a player or two short when we play these ranked teams. What could we do with another guard that can knock down the three consistently? What could we do with a healthy Key in this game? I think we'll probably be about a five point underdog in this game. If we can get it to that last couple of minutes of the game with a chance to win Rickea is a player that can make that play to send you to the title game, Tennessee 73 LSU 70

Unfortunately, I think this game will look the way most big games have looked this season.

I’m preparing myself to watch the LVs dig themselves into a hole too deep climb out of. They will have moments where they look like the team we thought they would be, but will fall short due to bad decision making. Kim Mulkey has this LSU team playing really well.

LSU by 15.

That said, I would love for this to be the game where they put it all together. I would love to be wrong.
This. For about the 12th time this year. All of this.

On the other hand, shouldn't the dang law of averages catch up at some point? Can we really lose em all? Every dog has its day. Maybe this is finally ours?

In case its not our day, losing somewhat decently will cost hosting, which we never had, and a spot down to 6 ish? It will be nice to get out of the SEC and try someone we haven't played at least.

LSU by 15.

5th benchmark/judgment game

We have two things going against us. Team speed and coaching decisions. LSU will make another player not named RJ or JH beat them.

Reactions: ttharp
5th benchmark/judgment game

We have two things going against us. Team speed and coaching decisions. LSU will make another player not named RJ or JH beat them.
I thought they defended Horston well game one. They left Walker on an island who ended up having a big game

But the reality is when you face good teams down the stretch here in the post season, we need other kids besides Horston and Jackson contributing. That balance is super important

VN Store

Back