Game Thread Lady Vols vs. Lipscomb

As for the posts players, I think KK is what she is. Kinda Like JG in FB. Not going to improve, just do what your are limited to do. Key should improve with the good coaching. Not sure how you coach aggressiveness but she needs some moves under the basket. Hope she makes steady progress but if plays like last season, when she starts getting pushed around by SEC teams she tends to drift more outside.

Tess might turn into a player!!

She might but i don`t see that right now not in the SEC. And part of the problem is coach KJH is playing her at the 3. And from looking at her last night she is over matched at that position. Now if you mover her to the backcourt you still have a problem and that`s foot speed and ball handling skills. Just my opinion.

Reactions: lfvol and 1reVOLver
We started out with good ball movement and our posts looking much more assertive rather than lethargic. Then we slumped off, partly due to substitutions, but fatigue was a big issue and it's not all because CKH runs them. They need more running if anything. Very few of our players are in optimal game shape going into SEC play, and last night was a slow-motion affair compared to what we'll see against SC and other SEC teams. Lipscomb looked better conditioned and played us even up in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Our posts in particular couldn't sustain their energy levels. KK spent most of the second half rubbing the right side of her back...does she have another back injury? I don't think the COVID-dictated cupcake schedule has done much to help us stay focused.

Salary did some nice things last night and I think she'll earn herself more PT as the season progresses. I think Walker needs more PT at PG. We need less PT with the high-low post combos...nothing good comes of that. One post at a time, and let Suarez, occasionally Davis, +/- McCoy play the 4.

JMO, as usual.

We started out with good ball movement and our posts looking much more assertive rather than lethargic. Then we slumped off, partly due to substitutions, but fatigue was a big issue and it's not all because CKH runs them. They need more running if anything. Very few of our players are in optimal game shape going into SEC play, and last night was a slow-motion affair compared to what we'll see against SC and other SEC teams. Lipscomb looked better conditioned and played us even up in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Our posts in particular couldn't sustain their energy levels. KK spent most of the second half rubbing the right side of her back...does she have another back injury? I don't think the COVID-dictated cupcake schedule has done much to help us stay focused.

Salary did some nice things last night and I think she'll earn herself more PT as the season progresses. I think Walker needs more PT at PG. We need less PT with the high-low post combos...nothing good comes of that. One post at a time, and let Suarez, occasionally Davis, +/- McCoy play the 4.

JMO, as usual.
Good post. I have avoided commenting on my perceived thoughts on the players being out of shape. But to me it's very noticeable. Your observation on the 2nd and 4th quarters is spot on. That is where the fatigue kicks in.

Yes, looked like KK tweaked something on one of her layups. She immediately grabbed her hip and rubbed it the rest of the night. Kellie just kind of ignored it so I'll just leave that there for interpretation.

I'm think Davis 35, Burrell 32, Horston 35, Key 25 if she can stay out of foul trouble is her limit even if she can't has limited endurance, Suarez out of shape is evident maybe 30, KK 20. Walker 23. That is 200 minutes and probably the way we will have to go to have a chance against A&M. We might put Salary in for five or so but she had three turnovers in the limited minutes she played last night. I have no worries about Davis or Horston playing huge minutes with Burrell a little suspect after the 30 minute mark as she was suffering cramps at Indiana after about 30 minutes of play. Davis actually played 38 at Indiana and was just as strong in the fourth as in the first. She took over that game down the stretch. Texas A&M is playing better now than they have all season they have an excellent bench that we can't match. Look forward to the game.

I'm think Davis 35, Burrell 32, Horston 35, Key 25 if she can stay out of foul trouble is her limit even if she can't has limited endurance, Suarez out of shape is evident maybe 30, KK 20. Walker 23. That is 200 minutes and probably the way we will have to go to have a chance against A&M. We might put Salary in for five or so but she had three turnovers in the limited minutes she played last night. I have no worries about Davis or Horston playing huge minutes with Burrell a little suspect after the 30 minute mark as she was suffering cramps at Indiana after about 30 minutes of play. Davis actually played 38 at Indiana and was just as strong in the fourth as in the first. She took over that game down the stretch. Texas A&M is playing better now than they have all season they have an excellent bench that we can't match. Look forward to the game.
Totally agree. That is the best bet to beat the better teams, a 7 player rotation.

KK looked as slow as I've seen her all season. Not sure if it was her hip or just conditioning issues. I'd be worried about her against teams with quick posts. Suarez as well. While I loved her drive to the basket for a layup through traffic, it was done too slowly to be effective against quicker teams.

Davis, Burrell and Horston have to carry this team.

She might but i don`t see that right now not in the SEC. And part of the problem is coach KJH is playing her at the 3. And from looking at her last night she is over matched at that position. Now if you mover her to the backcourt you still have a problem and that`s foot speed and ball handling skills. Just my opinion.
Truthfully, I don't know how many people thought that Tess would be a significant rotation player. I figured she was a bench depth recruit that would be unlikely to get meaningful PT...similar to Kamera Harris' role on the team.

Truthfully, I don't know how many people thought that Tess would be a significant rotation player. I figured she was a bench depth recruit that would be unlikely to get meaningful PT...similar to Kamera Harris' role on the team.
It's just not easy for a freshman to get regular rotation minutes against good teams unless they are highly ranked. And even then, some can't handle it.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
It's just not easy for a freshman to get regular rotation minutes against good teams unless they are highly ranked. And even then, some can't handle it.
Exactly. And it's even harder for a 3-star players on a team full of 4/5-star players at her position to get minutes at all in non mop-up minutes unless the rating services were terribly off in their evaluation.

Reactions: lfvol
I have zero problem with CKJH building depth in this game.
You can build depth and still create more chemistry with the starters by playing them longer like a quarter at a time,then substitute one or two subs at a time keeping three or four starters on the floor....then when 4th quarter comes along then play any combination you want to build up morale against such cupcakes. That way you can build chemistry with the rotation you will be using in future and also getting them in game condition

Good post. I have avoided commenting on my perceived thoughts on the players being out of shape. But to me it's very noticeable. Your observation on the 2nd and 4th quarters is spot on. That is where the fatigue kicks in.
I feel that most players this year are out of shape due to the pandemic.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
The only problem with going with a 7-player rotation -- which I certainly agree would likely result in better cohesion -- is that in this new era of one-time no-penalty transfers it would be difficult for most coaches to retain full rosters. Obviously there are some coaches who've been able to get away with having players who are happy with being what amounts to practice-only players, but those are also the coaches who can boast recent championships. Some players are satisfied with being on the roster of a championship team and don't mind not playing at all in big games and only mop-up minutes in the rest.

Unfortunately, Kellie isn't in that position. And some might be thinking, "Let them earn big minutes! And if they can't earn them and they don't like sitting on the bench while the first seven play, let them transfer!" ... I don't think it's as simple as that. There are compelling reasons to tighten the rotation, but there are also compelling reasons to give every young person on the roster playing time -- and it doesn't, IMO, always have to be 100% about winning at all cost. Obviously Kellie was hired to be the best leader she can be for this program, and winning championships is every coach's dream. But being a great coach/leader also requires empathy and patience. I like it best when I see coaches giving down-roster players regular opportunities throughout the season to show growth in game situations instead of deciding in the first two games who will be members of the permanent practice squad. And no, you can't always say "playing time in practice," either, because sometimes I think some different light clicks on for young players in games that, try as they might, don't always come on in practice.

Just my opinion, not worth much.

Totally agree. That is the best bet to beat the better teams, a 7 player rotation.

KK looked as slow as I've seen her all season. Not sure if it was her hip or just conditioning issues. I'd be worried about her against teams with quick posts. Suarez as well. While I loved her drive to the basket for a layup through traffic, it was done too slowly to be effective against quicker teams.

Davis, Burrell and Horston have to carry this team.

So then you didn’t love the drive to the basket? LOL that team was full of smaller quicker guards ... In the SEC they will be more athletic yes but the fact was she made the right read to make that move so that’s why it was effective and she didn’t draw a charge

The only problem with going with a 7-player rotation -- which I certainly agree would likely result in better cohesion -- is that in this new era of one-time no-penalty transfers it would be difficult for most coaches to retain full rosters. Obviously there are some coaches who've been able to get away with having players who are happy with being what amounts to practice-only players, but those are also the coaches who can boast recent championships. Some players are satisfied with being on the roster of a championship team and don't mind not playing at all in big games and only mop-up minutes in the rest.

Unfortunately, Kellie isn't in that position. And some might be thinking, "Let them earn big minutes! And if they can't earn them and they don't like sitting on the bench while the first seven play, let them transfer!" ... I don't think it's as simple as that. There are compelling reasons to tighten the rotation, but there are also compelling reasons to give every young person on the roster playing time -- and it doesn't, IMO, always have to be 100% about winning at all cost. Obviously Kellie was hired to be the best leader she can be for this program, and winning championships is every coach's dream. But being a great coach/leader also requires empathy and patience. I like it best when I see coaches giving down-roster players regular opportunities throughout the season to show growth in game situations instead of deciding in the first two games who will be members of the permanent practice squad. And no, you can't always say "playing time in practice," either, because sometimes I think some different light clicks on for young players in games that, try as they might, don't always come on in practice.

Just my opinion, not worth much.
LOL...don't be so hard on yourself. Your opinion is worth plenty. Everyone has value!!!

That being said (wait for it...) I got to disagree on a few points.

The main one is that it doesn't have to be about winning at all costs. In this level of competition, it certainly is. If now, you can count on that coach being fired. They are hired to win.

The player rotation has to be what gives you the best chance to win. You don't play a player in critical situations that can't make a play. For this particular team, it really is a 7 player rotation. It doesn't mean the other players don't get minutes. But they can only be in non game impacting situations.

Living in Connecticut (No, I wasn't thrown out of New Jersey, just had to move years ago), I get to see every UConn game. I'm not a Geno fan, and I can't stand their fans, but I do appreciate how they go about things. You will pretty much see the 5 starters play the entire 1st quarter. Then you will see them rotate in the other players in the regular rotation for the rest of the 2nd quarter. That gives most of the starters a few minutes rest. They do the same thing in the 3rd quarter as they did in the first. Maybe they will start the subbing earlier in that quarter. If way ahead, the next best players will get minutes in the 4th quarter and finally the last 3-4 minutes, they will play the end of the bench.

That changes a little in the second half of it's an early blowout. And against the best team, even with a lead, they play the best players 35-38 minutes.

I believe it's how you get your regular rotation enough time together to create some great synergy between them. The constant changing of the lineups early hurt the Lady Vols in this regard.

Now, that is just my opinion.....worth just as much as yours!

So then you didn’t love the drive to the basket? LOL that team was full of smaller quicker guards ... In the SEC they will be more athletic yes but the fact was she made the right read to make that move so that’s why it was effective and she didn’t draw a charge
I did like it. But I just don't think it would be effective against the better teams. I mean, it was the only time she was able to do that all season.

Suarez has a pretty high BB IQ for a freshman and generally makes good decisions, although she sometimes falls short in the execution.

I did like it. But I just don't think it would be effective against the better teams. I mean, it was the only time she was able to do that all season.

Now that you said it I am even more impressed she hasn’t kept trying this move and getting charge calls like we have seen before repeatedly. i am more impressed she pulled that out of her bag of tricks for the first time reading the defense and making the correct play.

and finished with contact across the arm that wasn’t called. Great play marta !

VN Store

Back