Game Thread Lady Vols vs. Lipscomb

The way we started the 1st maybe she should run them more!!!!! I don't have a problem with it when we play teams that won't push us,gotta be ready for conference play. I am afraid we haven't solved our offensive woes yet. We are streaky shooting the ball and got to do better guarding the 3. Lot of girls got playing time tonight, I believe that ends now.

Right now, there is not a dominant post...so I would divvy up those minutes until one steps up,,,I grade my posts in a very simple formula,,,1 pt/or/reb per minute,,,eg,,10 min = 4 reb, 6 pts...I have found this to be a very telling stat

Warming muscles up then cooling them off and then warming them up again is the recipe for injury,,,,why do you think NBA players immediately cover their legs when they sit down,,,baseball pitchers cover their arms,,,not good
So, what exactLy did Coach Harper mean by “getting their legs moving”.

I just can’t imagine she would run them to exhaustion on game day.

I disagree. If the rotation were able to be kept at 7/8 with Walker&KK off the bench and Darby/Salary with very limited minutes then that top 5-7 players are playing top 25 ball easily and could beat a lot of teams. It’s when different players are incorporated into that group where we begin looking scrubbish and out of sorts a bit.

The starting 5 needs more time on the floor to ply together and build that chemistry. Key, just needs to stop fouling and truly get positioning and stop waiting for the ball to fly her way and throw up and ugly shot. I haven’t been one to be hard on Papa Harper but... he needs to show some improvement with these post players and soon.
I have said the same thing about a dozen times in this thread .Fact is the statring five started to do okay after a lull to begin the game but as soon as they started to click a big doese of subs came in and they had a 6 minute no score drought.The starters are not in game shape and they have not played together this year long enough in a game stretch to become familiar enough to be competitive against good teams. As you say ,the post play needs vast improvement ....need more agressiveness from Key in particular .The next three games will be key in what path this team takes because they have reached the fork in the road ....lets see which fork they take and how they are coached .

I have said the same thing about a dozen times in this thread .Fact is the statring five started to do okay after a lull to begin the game but as soon as they started to click a big doese of subs came in and they had a 6 minute no score drought.The starters are not in game shape and they have not played together this year long enough in a game stretch to become familiar enough to be competitive against good teams. As you say ,the post play needs vast improvement ....need more agressiveness from Key in particular .The next three games will be key in what path this team takes because they have reached the fork in the road ....lets see which fork they take and how they are coached .
I have zero problem with CKJH building depth in this game.

Having myself been negative earlier re: team letdowns tonight, perhaps we can publicly recognize signs of individual improvement (rather than harping on the mistakes as we armchair and former coaches and players tend to naturally do).

A few examples:

Horston showed patience on many possessions and delivered the ball efficiently to teammates.

Saunders posted up aggressively and finished well.

Key looked great on free throws and did a much better job finishing.

Darby made a nice fake to move closer when the threes weren't falling. Also made great pass to cutting Davis.

Rennie made a nice driveto score and on defense drew contact resulting in turnover for Lipscomb.

Salary brought great energy and ballhawking skills.

Other examples? (Your turn).

She said she was going to in the presser yesterday. She said they weren’t having practice yesterday but she was going to “get their legs moving today.” But she had that look on her face, with a wry smile, where you can tell a coach means “I’m going to run the sh*t out of them.” Had suspected she did that before several other games this season and she confirmed it.

I wonder what kind of running- suicide drills? laps? In sports like b-ball and soccer, which require short bursts of speed, lateral movement, explosiveness, and quick recovery from anaerobic debt, to much endurance running can be counterproductive. particularly during the season.

I disagree. If the rotation were able to be kept at 7/8 with Walker&KK off the bench and Darby/Salary with very limited minutes then that top 5-7 players are playing top 25 ball easily and could beat a lot of teams. It’s when different players are incorporated into that group where we begin looking scrubbish and out of sorts a bit.

The starting 5 needs more time on the floor to ply together and build that chemistry. Key, just needs to stop fouling and truly get positioning and stop waiting for the ball to fly her way and throw up and ugly shot. I haven’t been one to be hard on Papa Harper but... he needs to show some improvement with these post players and soon.
Key worries about her hair.... alot!!

Out of the 12 available players, I see a rotation of 9 in competitive games. Sure would like to see McCoy back.

Overall a good offensive performance 77 points on 61 shot attempts and it gets even better if you cut the rotation to seven players. The starters played well both offensively and defensively when they were in there as a group. They played most of the first quarter and came away with a 26 to 11 lead. That would be 104 to 44 if maintained through the entire game. The bench added nothing and after two players don't see much help. We may have to put a couple of them in there for three or four minutes a game but just like last season our bench is not going to offer much help. The elephant in the room on offense is three point shooting 3 of 17 is terrible. I hoped we could shoot 33 percent as a team were at 30 which is not that great. We have no effective post presence and I don't see that changing much either. Lipscomb made 11 threes and shot their highest percentage of the season from the three point line still overall they only scored 52 points on 56 shots which is below 1.0 per shot attempt which is always acceptable on defense. I think what we were trying to do in this game was work on the entry pass to the post and it turned out to be a failure. Most of the eighteen turnovers were trying to pass it in there and most of the time it was into double teams and opponent very active hands knocking the ball away. If were going to get anything out of post play I think it is going to be off the dribble where drivers draw and dish the post were not effective posting and catching although some of it is bad passes. Were also not very effective in passing the ball around the perimeter to force the defense into an overload to get a clear uncontested three point shot. Were not effective in getting the ball to a three point shooter for a clear uncontested shot defenders were able to close out on most of our attempts last night. Nothing has changed I think were still something like 16 and 8 or 15 and 9 for the season. I think we match up well starter to starter with most SEC teams but almost all of them have better benches than we do. Our goal has to be to hold teams in the 60's cause when it gets to seventy were probably in trouble just not a high scoring team due to ineffective three point shooting and bad post play.

Overall a good offensive performance 77 points on 61 shot attempts and it gets even better if you cut the rotation to seven players. The starters played well both offensively and defensively when they were in there as a group. They played most of the first quarter and came away with a 26 to 11 lead. That would be 104 to 44 if maintained through the entire game. The bench added nothing and after two players don't see much help. We may have to put a couple of them in there for three or four minutes a game but just like last season our bench is not going to offer much help. The elephant in the room on offense is three point shooting 3 of 17 is terrible. I hoped we could shoot 33 percent as a team were at 30 which is not that great. We have no effective post presence and I don't see that changing much either. Lipscomb made 11 threes and shot their highest percentage of the season from the three point line still overall they only scored 52 points on 56 shots which is below 1.0 per shot attempt which is always acceptable on defense. I think what we were trying to do in this game was work on the entry pass to the post and it turned out to be a failure. Most of the eighteen turnovers were trying to pass it in there and most of the time it was into double teams and opponent very active hands knocking the ball away. If were going to get anything out of post play I think it is going to be off the dribble where drivers draw and dish the post were not effective posting and catching although some of it is bad passes. Were also not very effective in passing the ball around the perimeter to force the defense into an overload to get a clear uncontested three point shot. Were not effective in getting the ball to a three point shooter for a clear uncontested shot defenders were able to close out on most of our attempts last night. Nothing has changed I think were still something like 16 and 8 or 15 and 9 for the season. I think we match up well starter to starter with most SEC teams but almost all of them have better benches than we do. Our goal has to be to hold teams in the 60's cause when it gets to seventy were probably in trouble just not a high scoring team due to ineffective three point shooting and bad post play.
You make some very good points. I would argue that it was not a good offensive performance at all. Yes, the three point shooting was terrible. It has to be better. 30% is more than "not that great". It's really bad. It was a 14-10 lead before Tennessee went on a 12-1 run over the last 4 minutes of the first quarter to basically put the game out of reach.

Over the last 3 quarters, Tennessee outscored Lipscomb 51-41. That is totally unacceptable against a team rated 260 in the country. Was it the use of the bench? That was some of it. But a down game for Burrell and Horston offensively (10 points and 7 points on a combined 8-19 shooting and 1-6 on threes) contributed to the poor scoring effort. A big tell was the fact that neither player got to the foul line. And please don't blame the refs.

I'm a big stats guy and looking at the box score, it was clear that the best offense for Tennessee was rebounding a miss and putting it back in the basket. They had 15 offensive rebounds and only 13 assists.

I'm hoping that the smaller rotation will bring out the best of the starters against Texas A&M. It's a talented group.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You make some very good points. I would argue that it was not a good offensive performance at all. Yes, the three point shooting was terrible. It has to be better. 30% is more than "not that great". It's really bad. It was a 14-10 lead before Tennessee went on a 12-1 run over the last 4 minutes of the first quarter to basically put the game out of reach.

Over the last 3 quarters, Tennessee outscored Lipscomb 51-41. That is totally unacceptable against a team rated 260 in the country. Was it the use of the bench? That was some of it. But a down game for Burrell and Horston offensively (10 points and 7 points on a combined 8-19 shooting and 1-6 on threes) contributed to the poor scoring effort. A big tell was the fact that neither player got to the foul line. And please don't blame the refs.

I'm a big stats guy and looking at the box score, it was clear that the best offense for Tennessee was rebounding a miss and putting it back in the basket. They had 15 offensive rebounds and only 13 assists.

I'm hoping that the smaller rotation will bring out the best of the starters against Texas A&M. It's a talented group.
It was a good and bad offensive performance the starter were 20 of 38 53 percent and 3 of 9 from the three 33 percent. The bench terrible nothing provided that was effective for the team except Jordan Walker made a few plays and KK a few layup. 0 for 8 from the three think someone off the bench could make just one. I'll take 77 points on 61 shots every game we play from here on out. We went 66 points on 67 shots versus Indiana so if we can generate that kind of points on 61 attempts I like our chances going forward.
I hope were more rested against Texas A&M we scrimmaged half a game before this game according to Coach Harper so most of the players got a full forty minute workout tonight.
I'm really impressed with our board play we have out rebounded everybody we have played this season.
We'll have to see a smaller rotation and many more minutes for the starting group against A&M no doubt it will be a lot more like the Indiana game as far as playing time.
We could have played the starters and beat them by a lot more we were doing a lot of experimenting in this game with the post game and Rennia said that players were not getting in the same offensive and defensive sets on a lot of possessions and it was causing come confusion. Not at all unhappy about the game about what I expected and other than the turnovers plus bad three point shooting thought we played ok.

It was a good and bad offensive performance the starter were 20 of 38 53 percent and 3 of 9 from the three 33 percent. The bench terrible nothing provided that was effective for the team except Jordan Walker made a few plays and KK a few layup. 0 for 8 from the three think someone off the bench could make just one. I'll take 77 points on 61 shots every game we play from here on out. We went 66 points on 67 shots versus Indiana so if we can generate that kind of points on 61 attempts I like our chances going forward.
I hope were more rested against Texas A&M we scrimmaged half a game before this game according to Coach Harper so most of the players got a full forty minute workout tonight.
I'm really impressed with our board play we have out rebounded everybody we have played this season.
We'll have to see a smaller rotation and many more minutes for the starting group against A&M no doubt it will be a lot more like the Indiana game as far as playing time.
We could have played the starters and beat them by a lot more we were doing a lot of experimenting in this game with the post game and Rennia said that players were not getting in the same offensive and defensive sets on a lot of possessions and it was causing come confusion. Not at all unhappy about the game about what I expected and other than the turnovers plus bad three point shooting thought we played ok.
Very good post. The starters were certainly more effective than the bench.

I just don't take much out of good stats against a team rated 260 in the country. They should dominate the paint and the rebounding. I do take plenty out of poor stats like assists vs turnovers. It has to be better against teams as good as Texas A&M. But they certainly have a good shot against the Aggies.

VN Store

Back