Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

LIPSCOMB

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:
Does Lauren Avant-Sumski officially fall under the Pat Summitt coaching tree?
Also, looking forward to seeing I. Harrison’s younger sister Dorie. I believe she transferred from UK. I remember it was a big deal that the Ladyvols passed on offering her.
Almost forgot about Asst. Coach Ariel Massegale. #Familyreunion

One more tuneup game before the SEC run starts as a season of questions continues...:

• Will Rennia continue her surge and continue to make a statement to the BB world that they were right in their preseason predictions>yes!
  • Will Rae continue to amaze us with her newfound controlled aggression>yes!
  • Will Jordan continue to amaze us with her skills, or will she sacrifice "high risk reward" for ""low risk compensation">She will continue to play her way and grow in both control and highlights!
  • Will JoJo begin to take on the role of PG, or continue to be caught between the PG/SG identity crisis?>Not sure.
  • Will TK accept that post-play and interior "presence" on offense is this team's most glaring weakness and reach down and find the warrior within her?>This is a good opportunity to do so
  • Will Kasi continue to show more desire and take more of TK's minutes> we'll see
  • Will Emily follow up her strongest game this year with an even stronger game>yes!
  • Will Jessie continue to work on footwork on defense and take the shot when it presents itself>If she doesn't, someone else will
  • Will Destiny continue to grow or will she accept that she will be a role-player this year>I think the best is yet to come with her
  • Will that beast that was Jaiden, last year, ever show up this year?>We need her to!
  • Will Marta follow the path that Rae blazed and take two years to learn "controlled aggression">Depends on her influences
  • Will Tess step into Jessie's role and become the go-to gunner>She has shown no fear so far

Primary scorers, all guards:
5'11" Clark #22...13ppg
5'7" Holcomb #23...best rebounder, 8ppg
5'10" Shelton #00...10ppg, best 3pt shooter
5'5" Collier# 24...best playmaker,,18/asst to 8/TO's

Lipscomb :
shoots 31 3's pg and hits about 8 pg
averages 12 asst pg and 13 to's pg
averages 6 steals pg

Covenant V Lipscomb
Covenant vs. Lipscomb (W Basketball) | Watch ESPN

(This is a team with a mighty-mite playmaker...it will be a good opportunity to see how JoJo, JH and Destiny handle undersized speedy guards.)

Coach Jumper's Prediction: LV's 101 Lipscomb 49

Last edited:
One more tuneup game before the SEC run starts as a season of questions continues...:

• Will Rennia continue her surge and continue to make a statement to the BB world that they were right in their preseason predictions>yes!
  • Will Rae continue to amaze us with her newfound controlled aggression>yes!
  • Will Jordan continue to amaze us with her skills, or will she sacrifice "high risk reward" for ""low risk compensation">She will continue to play her way and grow in both control and highlights!
  • Will JoJo begin to take on the role of PG, or continue to be caught between the PG/SG identity crisis?>Not sure.
  • Will TK accept that post-play and interior "presence" on offense is this team's most glaring weakness and reach down and find the warrior within her?>This is a good opportunity to do so
  • Will Kasi continue to show more desire and take more of TK's minutes> we'll see
  • Will Emily follow up her strongest game this year with an even stronger game>yes!
  • Will Jessie continue to work on footwork on defense and take the shot when it presents itself>If she doesn't, someone else will
  • Will Destiny continue to grow or will she accept that she will be a role-player this year>I think the best is yet to come with her
  • Will that beast that was Jaiden, last year, ever show up this year?>We need her to!
  • Will Marta follow the path that Rae blazed and take two years to learn "controlled aggression">Depends on her influences
  • Will Tess step into Jessie's role and become the go-to gunner>She has shown no fear so far

Coach Jumper's Prediction: LV's 101 Lipscomb 49

Marta VS. Rae ....

Previously I pegged Rae as the steal of her class ! Originally she was like a bull in a China shop . Helter schelter, running over people and just generally playing fast without a plan of execution. But you could see her potential or I thought you could ? It took her 1 and 1/2 years to break into the starting line up ! And a force to deal with in her third year . Expecting even more in the future.

Marta came in as a starter...: Another steal of her class ! You can see her potential and similar mistakes like Rae made as a Freshman. But as you watch her game .... you see a high basketball IQ . You will see her game change and become a good player by years end . I think if Kelly can get a starter ever year/class that’s a good thing ! Next years class .... there maybe 2 or 3 but will have to wait on our good players to graduate?

This is the scenario elite teams reach ! Highly skilled players come in knowing they were recruited to a good program and will share PT with 10–12 players! As always JMO

Does Lauren Avant-Sumski officially fall under the Pat Summitt coaching tree?
Also, looking forward to seeing I. Harrison’s younger sister Dorie. I believe she transferred from UK. I remember it was a big deal that the Ladyvols passed on offering her.
Almost forgot about Asst. Coach Ariel Massegale. #Familyreunion
The Avant story is interesting. I thought her original goal was to be an MD -- life happens. Her husband, I see, is her assistant coach. Another name I am familiar with is Sydney Shelton, who was at Butler for 2 yrs before transferring, sat out a yr, was injured last yr, and at this rate may be playing college hoops into her dotage. She was a Hoosier hotshot in HS, known for throwing up shots ten feet after crossing the center line (and making them) and scoring huge numbers of points in games. In college she has taken lots of shots but made relatively few. Glad to see she is at least back on the court. Harrison is another who has had health issues, so it's good to see her at least playing now.

Rennia Davis needs 33 points to get to 1500. This would move her to number 22 all time on the Lady Vols scoring list. She now stand just two points behind Angie Bjorklund, and 16 points behind Dena Head. When she gets to 1500 she will also pass Daedra Charles and Michelle Snow. Barring injury or other unforeseen circumstance she has a great chance to move into the top ten by seasons end. I think this is a game where she could score that 33 if not should definitely get enough points to do it in the next game versus Texas A&M.

The Avant story is interesting. I thought her original goal was to be an MD -- life happens. Her husband, I see, is her assistant coach. Another name I am familiar with is Sydney Shelton, who was at Butler for 2 yrs before transferring, sat out a yr, was injured last yr, and at this rate may be playing college hoops into her dotage. She was a Hoosier hotshot in HS, known for throwing up shots ten feet after crossing the center line (and making them) and scoring huge numbers of points in games. In college she has taken lots of shots but made relatively few. Glad to see she is at least back on the court. Harrison is another who has had health issues, so it's good to see her at least playing now.

I suspect the considerable success Lauren had in basketball after leaving Knoxville may have led her to reevaluate her career choices.

Yes
Avant when she committed in 8th grade had aspirations of being a ortho surgeon. Between then and graduating she was in a very serious auto accident and never recovered enough to be the play she should have been. Got to the hill and just never seemed to fit in and looked lost when she was in the game. She did and should have transferred to Rhodes in her hometown of Memphis. Best talent they have ever had and she just kind of fell in love with coaching and i guess figured could make good money and not give up 10 years of her life. As far as i am concerned she is part of the Summitt coaching tree all be a small part. All this is from what i remember when i was in Memphis in those days!

Is that our overall record against Lipscomb?

Would have loved to have been a spectator at that memorable (but somewhat infamous) 1895 game when the peach baskets were torn down by the home fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178
They won't get to sixty don't know how many we will score over sixty could be a lot and something around seventy. It depends on how many layups and short shot attempts we miss. I'll say Tennessee 87 to 50 knowing were more likely to hold them in the fifties than we are to score 87.

There really is no telling what might happen in this game. Obviously the Lady Vols SHOULD win big, but as we all know, one of Tennessee's weaknesses for many years now has been guarding the three-point line. Both Avant and Massengale know this, and their team shoots a lot of threes. So, if Lipscomb were to have a magical shooting night from deep, and Tennessee NOT have at least a decent shooting night, it could be a much closer game. I hope it won't be, but it's not impossible.

So, tonight would be a great game for Tennessee to work on their perimeter defense.

Did I read right that this game has been moved to SEC Network?

The channel guide on Comcast-Knoxville still shows Samford at Vandy on the SECNW at 8pm. Was it cancelled because of COVID? I assume the LVs will at least be on the alternate channel if the program guide is accurate.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back