Game Thread: Lady Vols Vs Florida; Thursday 6:30 PM @ TBA; SEC+ LVs 74-56 win

So Pluckett is a huge scoring threat ? So be it ?
My God , we was jumping up and down when they came here before the portal madness
and now " kiss my assets" .
Naw, good thing Tamari and Marta is not available or Kellie would really have rotation problems. Miles and Wynn deserve minutes like anyone else , next year Kellie will be sticking her
greasy hands down into the portal cookie jar again....and again ...and again.
Everything isn't about winning.

Are you having a bad day? Cheer up it will get better :)

expecting a split...

The losses were also early in our season. Right now the players are more accepting of their roles and improving with only temporary setbacks.... RJ may be thinking about the 6th man of the year award as this shows she can not only start and be effective, she can come in off the pine and be equally effective. This ups her stock. And RJ is driven by challenges.

I believe our chances against SC are a little better than against the connies for one reason,,,coaching.

I am 100 behind Coach Kellie, but I also know the "Evil Genius" thinks like I do...And if I know your weakness(es), I WILL exploit them...Kellie will not use a timeout to interrupt a run and if they start running, Gino will put the pedal to the floor. Especially if it is near the end of a quarter, as that is when we never call a timeout, opting to wait for the media timeout.

I believe our team is equal to both teams and I am not convinced that Dawn is that much more savvy than Coach K. That said, it may become a question of "sum of the parts" versus "sum of the parts" and I like UT's "sum". . . I also believe we are = to or better in our players than the connies, but the reluctance to call timeouts coupled with erratic subbing seemingly without purpose gives the edge to the Gino.

We very well could win both, as JH and RL's on-court leadership skills are growing...If we do, it is an over-achievement, a split is expected, losing both would be a disappointment.

Interesting analysis andI agree that it will probably be a split But I think we beat UConn. SC seems to be coasting right now and I think they will be really up for the challenge against us. Don’t think we can stop Boston and they may very well slow down RJ and JH. We will need to have a couple others step up big time if we are going to win it.
I think UConn will be tired when we play them and they have a short bench. I doubt Fudd will be very healthy even if she does play. In a strange way Coach Kellie not calling time outs might even help us since it will not give the UConn players a chance to catch their breath (not recommending that as our strategy though). Both games can obviously go either way but I would be very happily surprised if we beat SC. Maybe I am just biased since I really hope we beat SC. JMO.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Interesting analysis andI agree that it will probably be a split But I think we beat UConn. SC seems to be coasting right now and I think they will be really up for the challenge against us. Don’t think we can stop Boston and they may very well slow down RJ and JH. We will need to have a couple others step up big time if we are going to win it.
I think UConn will be tired when we play them and they have a short bench. I doubt Fudd will be very healthy even if she does play. In a strange way Coach Kellie not calling time outs might even help us since it will not give the UConn players a chance to catch their breath (not recommending that as our strategy though). Both games can obviously go either way but I would be very happily surprised if we beat SC. Maybe I am just biased since I really hope we beat SC. JMO.

factoring in the connies roster limitations...you may be right.
I will be at that game,,,cannot wait!

Stricklin with her build and power fouled out on mainly "pitty pat" fouls whereas she should use fouls to make opponents think twice before taking advantage of her. Actually there is little difference in Stricklin's ability and Boston's but Boston has learned how to use fouls, actually not having many called. Even if the fouls are to be called on Stricklin they should be turned to more of an asset. Boston got in the gym and remade her powerful body. Stricklin has it naturally. Neither player uses elbows and fists and they really don't need to.

Stricklin with her build and power fouled out on mainly "pitty pat" fouls whereas she should use fouls to make opponents think twice before taking advantage of her. Actually there is little difference in Stricklin's ability and Boston's but Boston has learned how to use fouls, actually not having many called. Even if the fouls are to be called on Stricklin they should be turned to more of an asset. Boston got in the gym and remade her powerful body. Stricklin has it naturally. Neither player uses elbows and fists and they really don't need to.
Striplins dad and Mom are both coaches
he is a football coach
She worked for her powerful body
She just came in with that body already looking like an NCAA body
She was that strong two years ago
Sara and Karoline.jpg

Naw, good thing Tamari and Marta is not available or Kellie would really have rotation problems. Miles and Wynn deserve minutes like anyone else , next year Kellie will be sticking her

Nobody deserves any entitlements.

It IS *mostly* about winning.

Reese yelled that?
What's been missing in the whole Reese dialogue is the sequence of things that happened. She was talking to Morris, who had not been focused at all. She pulled her aside before LSU brought the ball into play. It looked serious but not aggressive. Morris immediately responded by taking the ball down the court and used her speed to finally score her first layup. It was an effective communication.

Last edited:
Like I said both will be players for us next season if they stay and two both find a better offensive game. You can't let players that aren't huge scoring threats a lot of minutes. They may choose to leave in the portal after the season, but if that happens so be it we are trying to win now. The rotation we have isn't exactly the best we can do, but it is working for wins so we'll keep doing it.
If they Stay? How many have tranferred out since Kellie got here? Other than the first year with Mimi & Evina the only one to transfer out has been Jazmine Massengil (to play with her best friend) and Emily Saunders. Kellie has a pretty good retention rate. Anyone else that has left the program has been dismissed for bad behavior.

My God , we was jumping up and down when they came here before the portal madness
and now " kiss my assets" .
This everyone gets a trophy nonsense needs to go away and yes it is about winning. Winning at the highest level is what Division one sports are about. This isn't aau or 5th grade basketball.

Finally watched game. Considering all the missed open jumpers not bad result. We look so much better as a team that's connected together. Fla has some good scorers but way to much undisciplined one on one ball. Big road game with Missouri as we come into a tough stretch of schedule. Go Lady Vols. In CHRIST Alone

Finally watched game. Considering all the missed open jumpers not bad result. We look so much better as a team that's connected together. Fla has some good scorers but way to much undisciplined one on one ball. Big road game with Missouri as we come into a tough stretch of schedule. Go Lady Vols. In CHRIST Alone

Nice post, I agree!

Finley’s halftime interview indicated that was their plan and I thought it was a bad one. She said they were going to ‘exploit mismatches and get to the basket’ essentially. That did not go well. We were the team with mismatches lol.

People are underestimating Darbys defense. They think they can still exploit her but they cannot. Tess has learned she doesn’t have to play half as much defense if she just steals the ball first 🤣

People are underestimating Darbys defense. They think they can still exploit her but they cannot. Tess has learned she doesn’t have to play half as much defense if she just steals the ball first 🤣
Actually they did exploit Tess; she had her roughest defensive outing in a while. That was never going to be a winning strategy, but it was what she had I guess.

Actually they did exploit Tess; she had her roughest defensive outing in a while. That was never going to be a winning strategy, but it was what she had I guess.

I think they could have matched her up better. Having her trying to guard Princess Leia is like me trying to catch a live chicken.

Put, Jordy on the other team's best scorer. Tess could hold her own with the little Danish girl, or such.

Last edited:
I think they could have matched her you better. Having her trying to guard Princess Leia is like me trying to catch a live chicken.

Put, Jordy on the other team's best scorer. Tess could hold her own with the little Danish girl, or such.

Deens was 4-14 and 1-5. She got to the line and converted a couple times, but overall she had a very inefficient game.

I thought she did a really good job on Deens. Held her shooting percentages way down.

Other than Horston and Striplin who are noticeably better than the rest, there's hardly any difference between the Player Defensive Ratings of the rest of our players. I think people assume Darby is a poor defender because she doesn't look very athletic. She is really quite competent and versatile on defense.

I think they could have matched her you better. Having her trying to guard Princess Leia is like me trying to catch a live chicken.

Tess had a rough night defensively. She has to handle going over a screen better. that little danish girl, Rimdal, took Tess to school, off the screen and off the dribble.

But I think Tess will be ready for next time

J Walker, JP did better against Rimdal,,,but man I wanted to see Miles v Rimdal....Darth Vader v Princess Leia

I thought she did a really good job on Deens. Held her shooting percentages way down.

Other than Horston and Striplin who are noticeably better than the rest, there's hardly any difference between the Player Defensive Ratings of the rest of our players. I think people assume Darby is a poor defender because she doesn't look very athletic. She is really quite competent and versatile on defense.

She gets a lot of deflections and disrupts the other teams offense. She’s great to have on their best player because she really plays the gaps smart. The opponent wants to get the ball there but she knocks it away quite often.

Does a nice job fighting over screens and busting up handoffs as well.

Last edited:

There is some truth in both sides. Tess reads passing lanes very well and tends to be in the right place at the right time. However, when she gets one on one with a quick guard, she tends to get beat. But that problem is not only Tess, even our quicker players seem to give up the driving lanes too often. However, in the last two games, the defense on the whole is doing a better job at containment. Jordan Walker has really stepped up on that dimension. For example, Rimdale torched the LVs for 21pts in the first meeting and this go round, they held her to 10 pts and -7 on the plus-minus stat. Tangible improvements.

Last edited:
If they Stay? How many have tranferred out since Kellie got here? Other than the first year with Mimi & Evina the only one to transfer out has been Jazmine Massengil (to play with her best friend) and Emily Saunders. Kellie has a pretty good retention rate. Anyone else that has left the program has been dismissed for bad behavior.
Depends on what their chances for playing time look like. If we go get some top players out of the portal they could think that their situation hasn't changed. Only time will tell because they will need to play as juniors you should be ready.

Had to go back and watch Edie Darby’s offensive rebound 4-5 times. Fav play of the game probably. Played :56 seconds but made the most of it. What a firecracker.

Other favorite play of the game was the 3 ball from Striplin. It came at a time where we really needed to extend the lead. Loved her confidence and awareness to take that one dribble behind the line and knock it down. A few more of those and we become even harder to guard if teams have to respect her on the perimeter.

Destiny Salary transferred as well but that was a bit different as I believe she was dismissed from the team.

Had to go back and watch Edie Darby’s offensive rebound 4-5 times. Fav play of the game probably. Played :56 seconds but made the most of it. What a firecracker.

Other favorite play of the game was the 3 ball from Striplin. It came at a time where we really needed to extend the lead. Loved her confidence and awareness to take that one dribble behind the line and knock it down. A few more of those and we become even harder to guard if teams have to respect her on the perimeter.

Yes. That step back three from Karo was probably my favorite. I loved the vibe it gave off like, "how dare you not guard me out here. I'll show you."

VN Store

Back