Game Thread Lady Vols vs Florida A&M

We should take this game and practice our half court defense and offense. Clearly we could dominate this team in transition and press.

I was thinking the same thing. Surely after every Lady Vol has cycled into the game and gotten to get a few steals on the trap plays Holly will switch gears and get them some practice doing something else. Maybe after this first quarter is over?

And ya know, I would LOVE to see something a little different from the half-court offense.

I would have loved to seen Brown in there withbthis second unit to give them a little bit more leadership and another option to hit the three against the zone.

Reactions: governmentmule
This is where I wish we would piece in players not a whole sale sub. Like let Rae, Zaay, and Jaz play with the starters in half court sets. Sub one or two in at a time so when they have to get into a flow.

As I say that the commentator says they are playing them like that to cut down on starter minutes so they aren’t worn down as the season goes on. I can understand that!

I'm ok with the 5 in 5 out, for now, but use this time to teach! Those girls needed a timeout and a talking to....To let that poor play continue was not good .

This is where I wish we would piece in players not a whole sale sub. Like let Rae, Zaay, and Jaz play with the starters in half court sets. Sub one or two in at a time so when they have to get into a flow.

As I say that the commentator says they are playing them like that to cut down on starter minutes so they aren’t worn down as the season goes on. I can understand that!
I like the wholesale subs because it gives the freshmen an opportunity to play with each other and develop chemistry.

Reactions: PRG and NoBackBoard
If anything, this game shows that we have bought into Warlick's defensive philosophy. Even if this is a poor team, allowing under 20 points in a half is excellent defense.

This team may be the worst team fundamentally to ever hold a 40 point lead at halftime.

Sorta an extreme epitome of the Holly Warlick era. I think a lot of it comes from a lack of talent in the post.

Also, this isn't a negavol post. We have a swarming defense, but the offensive execution outside of fast break leaves much to be desired.

I’d like to see more offensive plays run for Davis. We need to find a way to get her involved. Also want to see our posts (KK & Harris) get more shot attempts. We’ll need them down the line.

Reactions: lvocd
This team may be the worst team fundamentally to ever hold a 40 point lead at halftime.

Sorta an extreme epitome of the Holly Warlick era. I think a lot of it comes from a lack of talent in the post.

Also, this isn't a negavol post. We have a swarming defense, but the offensive execution outside of fast break leaves much to be desired.

I do agree that over the many years of Warlick's tenure, she has shown little evidence of putting together good half court offense. What it seems like we're doing this year is take the first open shot we can get. I like this strategy because the more we slow down, the worse our offense becomes.
I think our offense looks much better, ironically, without Russell. Rather than force it to her, we have more guards willing and able to take it to the rim.

Reactions: zaqhhh
I’d like to see more offensive plays run for Davis. We need to find a way to get her involved. Also want to see our posts (KK & Harris) get more shot attempts. We’ll need them down the line.
I think Harris is a lost cause/shouldn't be on this team, but I agree that Kasi and Collins need more looks.
Davis needs to get going, agreed. She looks like she's still finding her way in the offensive flow (granted, our half court game doesn't have much flow). She needs to move without the ball better and set some picks for others.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I think Harris is a lost cause/shouldn't be on this team, but I agree that Kasi and Collins need more looks.

Sigh. I hate to give up on a Lady Vol. When I watch Harris I get the impression she’s too hard on herself and worries about making mistakes. I’d like to see her play with more freedom and confidence. I think the potential is there. Maybe she just needs to be coached up by the staff.

Reactions: Undercovervol
I do agree that over the many years of Warlick's tenure, she has shown little evidence of putting together good half court offense. What it seems like we're doing this year is take the first open shot we can get. I like this strategy because the more we slow down, the worse our offense becomes.
I think our offense looks much better, ironically, without Russell. Rather than force it to her, we have more guards willing and able to take it to the rim.

I agree with your observations for the most part. I think given where our offense is at we should continue taking the first shot for now, but eventually in order to beat elite teams we will have to learn how to play in the half court. I blame Holly mostly, but our post play is a bit underwhelming as well.

Nice start to the second half. KK and Davis getting going. Now let’s see Massengill run offensive sets.

VN Store

Back