Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. (13/13) Arkansas

I just needed to post on here to say that KK made me eat crow last night, and I liked it!! I have posted critical comments about her play and just taking up space and TO's but last night hopefully was a turning point. I almost dropped my drink and fell out of my chair when she caught a pass and made a move to the basket and made the layup. She made more layups last night than she has all season. Hope she makes me eat more crow.

DePaul is probably the best team they've played, who beat Kentucky and lost by a basket to TAMU. Not a big team, but they are good. And they lost by 30 something with UConn not shooting particularly well.

It wasn't size that bothered ONO...it was All-American size that was just better than she was. Tennessee has done very well in shutting down opposing team's interior players, but UConn will be the best one by far that they've seen all season. This is where not playing TAMU hurt them. Tamari sent ONO to the bench early with foul trouble, then proceeded to get wrecked by a 6'1 guard forced to play C. They have yet to go against an elite interior (Indiana's was good, but not at the same level as the best in the SEC). UConn has her plus Edwards, so their post game is in much better shape.

I would be happy to see a win or a competitive game, but I'm bracing myself for the worst.

It was definitely size that bothered ONO. She was ineffective against players with equal height/physicality. DePaul only has one player over 6’ that plays double digit minutes. That is transfer Jori Allen from Indiana. They had 0 players to match-up with ONO so that game gives us nothing about how she’ll fair against better teams with size. Doubt Edwards will play much against us unless ONO is in foul trouble. Geno just doesn’t play freshman much in games he intends to win unless you’re someone like Paige or Diana.

Holmes is potentially the best center in the Big 10 this season aside from Hamilton. She couldn’t compete with our size, but she’s an elite level post player who lead the conference in blocks a season ago.

Last edited:
Playing against some very excellent defensive guards Jordan Walker had 7 points 5 rebounds and 3 Assists in 19 minutes. I think that calls to up her to about 25 or more. Salary went 12 minutes 3 points 2 rebounds and 2 assists. She is effective enough to keep those minutes staff needs to work with her some on defense against the three. I really like what these two brought off the bench. Your talking about one turnover in 31 minutes playing point against some very tough defenders that Arkansas has on the perimeter. This I think really lets Horston roam free most of her offense was when they were in the game. Walker was really effective in making the pass to the paint for easy shots and to KK for the layup.

Late to the party but what a great win!! I have read through the posts and just a few comments that I don;'t think are too redundant.

1. Half court offense. It has been a long, long time since the LVs were effective through an entire game running a half court (against a good team). Going to back to the last few years of CPS tenure, the LVs have largely lived or died with their transition game. If you got them into a slow, half court, they would struggle.

Before I get totally excited, I want to see this kind of offensive execution repeated across multiple games but this performance is very, very encouraging.

2. The point has been made that when Rae, Rennia, and Jordan are playing well, the LVs are inherently difficult to beat. It is a fair point-this game was a best case scenario, with the LVs big three playing at a high level and a really solid post contribution from KK. If we have games, where some combination of those players are not "on," a struggle is likely on hand. But that is true of a lot of teams which rely on a few key players for offensive punch. And I think part of the reason that all played well is that the offensive game plan was excellent and it was executed very well. So, we have a bit of a chicken and egg dilemma but I think this offensive system (though still a work in progress) bodes well for future performances.

3. Jordan H. had one of her best games but Jordan W. also played very well and I think we executed a touch better when she was at the point. Jordan H. still has a tendency to let the ball get stuck in her hands and Jordan W. moves the ball more quickly and decisively. But they make a great 1-2 punch.

4. Great game from KK. We have seen her look really good in the past when matching up against smaller post. So, I want to see her give that level of performance against bigger posts.

5. The only who did not have a good game was Marta. Her main problem was being too slow in deciding what to do and she wound getting her "pocket picked." This is a speed of play adjustment that she can hopefully make sooner than later.
Madtownvol, I liked your perceptive comments as always. However, you did not mention the performance or mis-performance of Key. Also, do you think Coach Harper should start Walker instead of subbing her? She will replace Marta in the starting lineup.

Reactions: volfan__18
Jessie was on the sidelines dressed out but did not get in the game, nor did Tess Darby.
I really wouldn't look for either of them to play very much at all unless it is in the fourth quarter with the game well in hand. I doubt that happens much in SEC play. I think you can see our rotation which is eight players and Emily when a big gets in foul trouble and the other needs a rest.

Playing against some very excellent defensive guards Jordan Walker had 7 points 5 rebounds and 3 Assists in 19 minutes. I think that calls to up her to about 25 or more. Salary went 12 minutes 3 points 2 rebounds and 2 assists. She is effective enough to keep those minutes staff needs to work with her some on defense against the three. I really like what these two brought off the bench. Your talking about one turnover in 31 minutes playing point against some very tough defenders that Arkansas has on the perimeter. This I think really lets Horston roam free most of her offense was when they were in the game. Walker was really effective in making the pass to the paint for easy shots and to KK for the layup.
did Arkansas recruit Destiny Salary???..I know Arkansas State,Minnesota, LSU, Mississippi State and some other big 10 schools did and Kellie Harper when she was at Missouri state

Madtownvol, I liked your perceptive comments as always. However, you did not mention the performance or mis-performance of Key. Also, do you think Coach Harper should start Walker instead of subbing her? She will replace Marta in the starting lineup.

Oh, Tamari not a good night for her at all. I don't think her problems on the offensive end get sorted during the season. She needs off season work on strength. When she is in the game, the whole get touches to the post strategy, is not well advised. She remains a formidable defensive presence so the puzzle is how to use her strengths selectively during games. IN the short term, maybe the coaches can get TK to be more decisive in her post moves. Right now, everything is slow and weak.

As it stands, a whole lot of responsibility is on KK's shoulders.

I think a Walker and Horston backcourt would be intriguing. I wonder if there are concerns about how many minutes Jordan W can play given her knee problem? If so, I would not make any changes to the starting line-up just yet but I think Destiny Salary is coming on fast. I really like Marta and her upside though so hopefully, she picks up her game going forward this season.

Oh, Tamari not a good night for her at all. I don't think her problems on the offensive end get sorted during the season. She needs off season work on strength. When she is in the game, the whole get touches to the post strategy, is not well advised. She remains a formidable defensive presence so the puzzle is how to use her strengths selectively during games. IN the short term, maybe the coaches can get TK to be more decisive in her post moves. Right now, everything is slow and weak.

As it stands, a whole lot of responsibility is on KK's shoulders.

I think a Walker and Horston backcourt would be intriguing. I wonder if there are concerns about how many minutes Jordan W can play given her knee problem? If so, I would not make any changes to the starting line-up just yet but I think Destiny Salary is coming on fast. I really like Marta and her upside though so hopefully, she picks up her game going forward this season.
Thanks, Madtownvol.

Reactions: madtownvol
@Bballnut1952 you haven’t posted anything in awhile you ok bud?

This is less petty and more you ain’t been here to shake the hornets nest 🤣
It’s been a tough couple of days.

My best friend of 50 years died suddenly.

Posting here was the last thing on my mind.

Great game by the Lady Vols. Big win for Coach Harper.

Davis played like the AA she is and Burrell like the future AA she will be.

sorry to hear about your friend

the best friends are old
new ones are silver, old ones are gold

Sorry to hear about your friend. I know losing a friend is not easy. Reflect in your memories of all the good times you had together. Thoughts and prayers for you.

I just needed to post on here to say that KK made me eat crow last night, and I liked it!! I have posted critical comments about her play and just taking up space and TO's but last night hopefully was a turning point. I almost dropped my drink and fell out of my chair when she caught a pass and made a move to the basket and made the layup. She made more layups last night than she has all season. Hope she makes me eat more crow.
let's hope it continues and that she hits at least 50% of her free throws.

So sorry to hear of your loss! I hope the many, many great memories of your friend will bring you comfort.

Def sorry to hear about your friend.

Definitely sorry to hear about your friend. My post was to rib you a bit but also you hadn’t been on and I found that strange.

I said the same thing when my granddad died. Posting was the last thing i thought about but when i did LV nation was kind and i got back into the flow of things.

Praying comfort to you in these difficult and trying times!

Professional officiating for the ref to take time to explain to Destiny why she got called for the foul while waiting for free throws. And Destiny was listening intently and taking it in. I know some refs, and the best ones try to actually help young players improve. And the best players listen and learn. Understanding the mindset of officials is a valuable tool.

The foul on Salary was caused as the saavy guard bringing up the ball did a planned side-step to cause Salary to impact her. The Arkansas guards, all three have refined their actions to enable them to be fouled. A difficult talented three-some to guard.

I'm not downplaying a fine effort by the Lady Vols in this game. However, this is a really bad matchup for Arkansas. They are a small but really quick team. They can mostly handle the bigger players on the other teams as long as they are not big and quick.

Tennessee has three of those players, and they are not role players either. Davis, Burrell and Horston are not only tall (6'2", 6'1", 6'2") but they are fast/quick as well.

KK having a great game as well didn't hurt.

I'm looking forward to Tennessee playing more balanced teams. That will be a better test.

VN Store

Back