Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. (13/13) Arkansas

Let me reframe this latter dialogue a bit.

Prior to the Arkansas game, and most particularly in light of the WV loss, the standard "wisdom" on the LVs had been that they were vulnerable to small quick guards. No ambiguity there. Some some worried we would not be able to compete against many teams because of this inherent match-up problem.

The Arkansas game showed that the conventional wisdom need not to be the case. Our bigger guards can "guard" and with good rotation and team defense, any vulnerabilities can be compensated for. And most importantly, the LV big guards can punish their vertically challenged opponents on the offensive end.

Still a lot to improve on. Despite Tennessee dominating the paint, the Hogs still shot far more free throws primarily from defensive breakdowns on dribble penetration. Fortunately, they defended the 3 and played so well offensively it didn't matter...

What a punk thing to say...You are a true keyboard warrior!
Jordan had one of the best all around games of this season
11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 of 4 foul shots, 5 assists to 3 turnovers ( which is a 1-1.66 ratio), 2 blocks (one happened when she was against a 2 on 1 break) and 1 steal and you point out turnovers and say something so childish as "she would make 3 turnovers if she was on the court alone"

Grow the f up!
Be a fan!
pitiful
I stand by every word, including the ones so deceptively edited out of my post. Interesting that I have more confidence in the player Jordan can and should be than some of her superfans do. Of course I'm more interested in her development as a player and in her contribution to the team than in making her a victim so I can white knight to her defense.

I have repeatedly praised JH as probably our best defender in game threads and in the intentionally mangled post that was "quoted". Also repeatedly praised her rebounding prowess My point is simply she should be better than a 35% shooter, 28% three ball shooter and reliable 3 t.o. a game player, which are her exact current stats. When she achieves this, and I believe she will, it will be a huge difference maker for this team and she'll be one of the best players in the SEC.

I firmly believe JH will eventually achieve this and with no need to diminish her by lowering standards for her play or by making her a victim in need of defending.

Last edited:
I stand by every word, including the ones so deceptively edited out of my post. Interesting that I have more confidence in the player Jordan can and should be than some of her superfans do. Of course I'm more interested in her development as a player and in her contribution to the team than in making her a victim so I can white knight to her defense.

I have repeatedly praised JH as probably our best defender in game threads and in the intentionally mangled post that was "quoted". Also repeatedly praised her rebounding prowess My point is simply she should be better than a 35% shooter, 28% three ball shooter and reliable 3 t.o. a game player, which are her exact current stats. When she achieves this, and I believe she will, it will be a huge difference maker for this team and she'll be one of the best players in the SEC.

I firmly believe JH will eventually achieve this and with no need to diminish her by lowering standards for her play or by making her a victim in need of defending.
For those interested, here are the following few sentences, from glv98, that coach j conveniently left out.
"...Not dissing those contributions at all; in fact, I give her tremendous credit for finding a way to make significant plays in other ways. She had a couple of absolute defensive gems last night and is an enthusiastic rebounder. But if she could become half the offensive weapon she should be, and Rennia and Rae stay on course, this could be the best LV scoring juggernaut in years and years."
You can make up your own mind, of glv98's post, now that you have a more complete picture.
Note: There was still more in glv98's original post but they did not pertain to JH.

Last edited:
Reactions: glv98

I too take an approach of holding Coach K to a higher standard. It is through her coaching that players like Jordan will reach their potential...What I don't do is throw in cheap-shot insults.

Saying "...she would make 3 turnovers if she was on the court alone" is not constructive, it is petty and biting.

I omitted the rest of your post because I had no reason to include it...It was well written and well thought out. I had no problem with it...But that "barb" wasn't necessary. All it did was overshadow the good post it was in.

Reactions: mikey2smart

I can get behind this post. In following Jordan i know she prides herself on being an all around player. In HS that’s what she did she scored when she had to while she probably could of scored way more. she said in a clip (just scoring is boring). Her mom has also a said multiple times in HS she wasn’t allowed to touch a ball for offense for weeks into the season because defense was such a focus. To their credit they were always ranked in the country and a team in the top 25 and that was built into her. It actually might have been what drew her to Holly in the first place.

I am IN TOTAL agreement about her offense and her shots seemed indecisive and rushed. When she takes one or two dribble pull ups with purpose they almost always go in and you realize Jordan doesn’t have a bad shot. I think it’s getting in the gym (which she does) but having confidence. A good game was the UK game last year in the SEC tourney. She was assured and confident.

I think we will see her take the offensive step next year as she will be looked at as a more of a scorer with Rennia gone. I hope she takes the Rae leap from sophomore to junior lol when you look at it Rennia took a big leap to sophomore to junior year. Maybe the CKJH effect?

I enjoyed your critique of Jordan i don’t fault you for wanting and expecting more. What we want for Jordan is probably a small portion of what Jordan wants for herself and that’s a big thing!

Still a lot to improve on. Despite Tennessee dominating the paint, the Hogs still shot far more free throws primarily from defensive breakdowns on dribble penetration. Fortunately, they defended the 3 and played so well offensively it didn't matter...
Most of that was from Dungee. She has become an expert at it. If you watch her play, if she goes down the right side "pounding" the ball on the floor she will do all kinds of gyrations with her body and a foul will be called whether there was one or not. I've always thought if a defender would jump back just before the rim and she would fall flat on her face. What she does is what I refer to as offensive flopping. Chennedy Carter was good at this also. You create the visual scenario and the ref's will award you for it. Smart play and teams still fall for it.

I've upgraded Tennessee's SEC chances. I truly think they can finish in the top 4. UK, MSST, TAMU and SC will be tough outings, but I think Tennessee would have a strong shot at a win against all 4.

I said in a previous post that I think this will be Tennessee's worst loss at TBA ever. Even with yesterday's very good win against Arkansas, I still think that will be the case. This is not a good matchup for Tennessee at all. I think the biggest difference is that UConn is a lot better this year. Last year, they were 4 deep. This year, they really have no weaknesses in the lineup, have strong bench talent, and have a backup big that could probably start for most teams.

If Key shows up and is able to contribute for 25 min vs. UConn, I think Tennessee can stay in it. If not, this will be over mid-way through the 2nd quarter even if Burrell/Davis go off (because Bueckers, Williams, and ONO will all do the same for UConn).
UCONN looks good against subpar opponents still , I wont judge or make a strong case for the Huskies talent until they play a top 25 team. People said we werent a good matchup last year and we had a lead the entire first half. So im not buying it. No weakeness in UCONNS line up as well sounds fafetched. Makurat hasnt done squat. Evina had 1 good game against villanova , Christyn cannot shoot and ONO only plays big against tiny teams. Beuckers im waiting til she plays someone who can play defense against her. The Baylor matchup with Didi Richards would have told alot about that program. Still Tennesee can beat them i stand by that firmly.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
If you are concerned with Stanford, then Oregon should also concern you. They are at Stanfords level but they had two subpar games in a row from Sabally and poor shooting from Boly and Mikesell. They are as deep and talented as Stanford but just younger. They were also missing Prince ( but who knows when or even if ever she returns this season ) that hurt them more than usual because Sabally had two really subpar games in their back to back loses to UCLA and Stanford.
No oregon does not conern me at all . They played stanford well bc they know stanford.

Most of that was from Dungee. She has become an expert at it. If you watch her play, if she goes down the right side "pounding" the ball on the floor she will do all kinds of gyrations with her body and a foul will be called whether there was one or not. I've always thought if a defender would jump back just before the rim and she would fall flat on her face. What she does is what I refer to as offensive flopping. Chennedy Carter was good at this also. You create the visual scenario and the ref's will award you for it. Smart play and teams still fall for it.
she leads the nation in free throws and free throw attempts.....

VN Store

Back