Game Thread: Lady Vols v Vanderbilt: Sunday 1PM, TV-SEC network,,,Final: TN 84 Vandy 71

Looking forward, it is shocking how bad TAMU is. Shocking.

They are 327th out of 361 in points scored per possession. Not a single player is shooting 3s better than 30%. Their roster has some of the worst collective PER ratings I've ever seen on an SEC team.

Poor Janiah Barker, who looked like one of the best recruits I've ever seen and should have come to LVs, has 1 assist to 23 turnovers. It would be fantastic to pick her up out of the portal this summer.
They only had 7 players available for their last game due to injuries...If it stays the same when LV's play them Thursday ,then the LV's should win handily.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Waiting for a loss
Well I confess ,I have not been a Tess fan because I had her categorized as: slow and a liabilty on defense ; and only as a catch and shoot 3 point player and a liability on offense as well.The last three games have won me over as a fan.She is beginning to drive and develop a mid range jumper and even complete drives to the basket .If she can continue to develop those capabilities,she can become a complete player on offense and be a huge part of success the remainder of the year.She still needs to develop more quickness on defensive end but she has made some progress toward that as the season has evolved.

To me it is a cracker box and a matchbox ( waiting for one of the matches to ignite and burn it down literally ) and the worst gymnasium ( does not qualify as an Arena ) that I have ever frequented as a fan.
Yes, I thought “unique” was generous to say the least. Given the danger of someone flying off that floor I would think the SEC would demand changes. I guess we will have to wait until someone gets hurt. At that time I hope the injured student athlete sues Vandy and the SEC until they own a large swath of property on West End Ave.

Yes, I thought “unique” was generous to say the least. Given the danger of someone flying off that floor I would think the SEC would demand changes. I guess we will have to wait until someone gets hurt. At that time I hope the injured student athlete sues Vandy and the SEC until they own a large swath of property on West End Ave.

I noticed they changed the layout a bit so that the benches are no longer located on the basket ends of the court but are now on the sidelines (like everywhere else in the world). So. I guess that is progress.

Volfan2012 definitely knows what is up but the LVs built that 20 pt. lead with Wynn, Hollingshead, and Powell (who had a really nice game) on the floor with Jackson (Jordan H. was in and out during the stretch.)

Strategically, the Walker and Powell is one that seems suspect since they have such similar games and generally don't provide a lot of shooting.

That’s what I am saying. Neither Wynn, Walker, Jill (who did not score any points in the game), nor Powell, who did score well, are dependable scorers. Put them together and you basically have non scorers playing together, giving the opposing team (who is still playing their best players), a chance to make a run.

Last edited:
That’s what I am saying. Neither Wynn, Walker, Jill (who did not score any points in the game), nor Powell, who did score well, are dependable scorers. Put them together and you basically have non scorers playing together, giving the opposing team a chance to make a run.

First, I apologize because I have lost track of the specific issue that originally sparked this sub-discussion.

But to this post, since Rickea has come back into the line-up, Kellie has been playing with Jackson or Horston on the floor. She usually has Tess or Puckett out there, though in one or two games, Justine has filled that slot. She has also played Franklin with another post, like Striplin or Hollingshead. Like Powell and Walker, Franklin + another post also creates a shooting deficit (but that pairing is not used very much).

For the most part, Kellie is running with a pretty balanced line-up. She did use Powell and Walker more against Vandy but both were having good games (they were 2 for 4 from 3) and it worked until it didn't.

All a round about way of saying, I agree that Kellie complicated matters in the pre-conference by scrambling the line-up and using a platoon sub pattern but now she seems to have settled on a core rotation. I don't think the hick-up against Vandy had that much do to with a line-up problem so much as the issues I previously noted.

Last edited:
Is BK back in the doghouse

Not playing need not mean doghouse. Kellie is clearly viewing Walker and Powell as her two main options at PG and now using Jordan in that role in short stretches. Wynn and Miles seem to be rotating as the sub who will bring defensive intensity. It has been Wynn turn the last few games.

Thought we’d see more of her since she came up big for us in games. Especially, since our guards have a hard time staying in front of ppl. Because we’re definitely going to need her when when we play SC.
To be fair, every single player on our team has a hard time staying in front of people at times, including our best, most athletic players. We are capable of playing really good defense most of the time but everyone gets driven around and also fails to close out on 3 shooters at times. That's every single player who plays.

Lately, I think Powell and especially Walker are doing a pretty good job on D. As far as BK, she's way undersized (tho quick) and her offensive game is even more suspect than Walker's. IMO that's why she's not playing.

I noticed they changed the layout a bit so that the benches are no longer located on the basket ends of the court but are now on the sidelines (like everywhere else in the world). So. I guess that is progress.
Benches are where they have always been…at the end of the court. Coaches are now allowed to walk down the sideline which is a rule that was changed several years ago.

Easy with your litigation there. There is a ton of room on the sidelines at Vandy, much more so than any “normal” basketball arena. A player is much more likely to sustain an injury from diving into the bench or stands than they are from “flying” off the floor at Vandy.
Way too much hyperbole on this board!

Easy with your litigation there. There is a ton of room on the sidelines at Vandy, much more so than any “normal” basketball arena. A player is much more likely to sustain an injury from diving into the bench or stands than they are from “flying” off the floor at Vandy.
Way too much hyperbole on this board!
I’ve been in that gym a lot. Had seats for WBB in row 9 for a lot of years Jim F. Days. The side area is wide but not unlimited with a 4 foot drop. I would rather have folks try and catch me in their seat than slide/fall off onto concrete floor.
I’m not being hyperbolic at all in that this issue has been raised with the SEC and Vandy numerous times and ignored by those parties. If a player sustained serious injuries because of the raised floor I believe a law suit might be successful. Think if you have a vicious dog that has chased your neighbor into their house, you are aware of this and yet refuse to secure the dog or euthanize it and he then attacks a neighbor you are going to have a legal problem.

VN Store

Back