Game Thread: Lady Vols v TAMU; Thurs Jan 12 @ 9PM on SECN tv LV's 62-50

Your UT team came within 7 of beating Stanford, considered by many the best team in the country, certainly top two along with SC right now. Jackson and Horston are both likely top 5 picks, UT can beat any team in the country with those two on top of their game.

As a SC fan, I do not relish the trip to Knoxville and know how that game could go either way up there…
And that game would have been a 5 point loss or less considering a technical was assessed when Hollingshed entered the game. Rickea's early foul trouble didn't help us either. There was really no one who could guard her in that second half.

Reactions: VolBall09
If RJ was a knock down 3 pt shooter, she would make Caitlin Clark look like a scrub. But she is not and odds are that tendency is not going to radically change this season. She might have a game here and here where she gets hot but she lives and dies with her midrange and slashing. That shooting limitation makes it easy for really good teams to defend here
LOL, no doubt, if RJ could also shoot 3s it almost wouldn't be fair. I looked back at her previous seasons and by far her best yr was her freshman yr w Vic, which was pretty much her peak in all categories. She didn't take many 3s, but hit 13-31, about 40ish %. The next yr, the Nikki McCray yr, it was off the cliff in almost all categories, down to about 24% on more 3s taken. Recovered a bit in the half season last yr but not much. Of course fisticuffs would have probably broken out with Annie if RJ tried to take too many of her 3s last yr so there's that.

Bottom line, looks like she should be capable and she'll sure need that shot at the next level but she's unlikely to bust out popping 3s this year. But if she and JH could just hit a well timed one occassionally it would help alot. I'm afraid RJ's slash and burn game, which I love watching, is about to get challenged with some serious lane packing against the really good teams. Thankfully, she's got that awesome pullup and she's a good passer.

We've improved because we've cut down on our turnovers, we've improved defensively and are playing more cohesively as a team. Individually,
Jackson is motivated and playing well (55 percent shooting); Horston is stout and contributing in many different ways, as she always
does, though she still misses too many shots close to the basket; Darby's overall play has been good--and she's making threes; Puckett is contributing and Hollingshead is showing the considerable potential that she has. She's athletic for a big and has been playing well--and IMO she's got more offensive upside; she and the coaches need to keep working on her moves in the paint.

IMO our two biggest weaknesses are defensive intensity--it's too inconsistent---and team three-point shooting. As in most areas, we've improved
defensively, for sure, but we have lapses in effort, focus and ball awareness/helping. We need a total team commitment to defense, and if we can get that we can be formidable. We've got some big games coming up and playing strong defense in those games will be crucial.

Ironically, though we are scoring amost 79 points a game, we are not a good three-point shooting team. We have one dependable
three-point shooter--Darby. Puckett is our second most dependable but is only playing limited minutes. The rest of the team is bad at shooting
threes--and I think this could be a problem for us when we play good teams. One dependable 3-point shooter is simply not enough, but I see nobody
that I think can step up and start hitting them.

All this said, there is a lot to be encouraged about. The upcoming games at South Carolina, UConn, etc. will give us a good idea of just how optimistic we might be.
IMO, we are a better team offensively without Key, but a worse team defensively without her. We are moving better on offense and are able to drive to the bucket without the opponent defense collapsed into the paint to stop Key. Dribble drives by Jordy, Rickea, and Tess are looking good. However, you are right about needing another 3 point shooter. I'm guessing it must come from Puckett.

I think we haven't yet learned completely how to play defense without a rim protector behind us. I noticed in the first half we were being picked off on screens, allowing the SC drivers to get down the lane and score, as there was no switching. In the second half, we were switching or going under the screen and fewer drivers got down the lane far enough to score. Nice adjustment by the staff. We somehow need better perimeter defense to stop those threes. I'd like to se the team start to show some more help defense, like men's team.

I have wondered why we don't press more with the depth we have. Make them play 94ft every time they inbound the ball. From my playing days it wears you down and frustrates you mentally the entire game knowing you can't make a mistake bringing the ball up the court.

I think the answer is that with the exception of some players, we're not quick enough or fast enough to defend the entire court.

I think the answer is that with the exception of some players, we're not quick enough or fast enough to defend the entire court.
Everyone on the floor does not have to be fast only the trappers on the first pass. The second pass has to be someone who can anticipate where the ball is going and step in from to steal it. You have to practice a press to be good at it. We have players that can run a good press. I think it's just not part of CKH game plan. OS runs the best press I have seen all year. Not just against our girls but everyone else they have played. They get a lot of easy points from the press.

Everyone on the floor does not have to be fast only the trappers on the first pass. The second pass has to be someone who can anticipate where the ball is going and step in from to steal it. You have to practice a press to be good at it. We have players that can run a good press. I think it's just not part of CKH game plan. OS runs the best press I have seen all year. Not just against our girls but everyone else they have played. They get a lot of easy points from the press.
It would be easier to run a press without Key on the floor, i'm guessing.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anybody have a chance to read this article. I’m interested on the thoughts because honestly…I agree with the headline. View attachment 531285
Haven't read the article but this and every game team takes to many possessions off on defense or they just are making to many errors in the defense they are playing. I have said not sure the man to man is the best defense for us to play against teams with quicker guards. Horston probably needs to quit trying to help so much as it usually ends up getting her burned by the player she is supposed to be guarding. Puckett cannot defend the drive. The last two games the best perimeter defender has been Darby. I realize we play an up tempo that gives other teams more possessions, but 60 is still the number for any team we play. We achieve that by being able to play 30 seconds of defense on every possessions still waiting for that to happen.

It feels like this team plays to the level of their competition. As the young kids say, we match their energy. It was great to see against Stanford then highly concerning against TAMU. We don’t seem to compete against ourselves. It’s troubling because once the opponent turns it on or we miss shots it can lead to a loss.

This team doesn’t have that killer instinct. Not sure why or how it can be developed. It’s almost like they get bored if they’re leading by too much and lose focus.

It feels like this team plays to the level of their competition. As the young kids say, we match their energy. It was great to see against Stanford then highly concerning against TAMU. We don’t seem to compete against ourselves. It’s troubling because once the opponent turns it on or we miss shots it can lead to a loss.

This team doesn’t have that killer instinct. Not sure why or how it can be developed. It’s almost like they get bored if they’re leading by too much and lose focus.
What you said plus the fourth quarter letdown. We have a lead going into the fourth seems to be coast it out time. We need to be playing like the score is tied.

I don’t necessarily agree. The coach since about a month or two ago decided that the best scorer in the SEC would come off the bench. A decision that now seems to be permanent. Briefly it was supported by the fact that the new lineup was getting off to fast starts.
However against Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt the runs have came with Rickea Jackson on the floor.
To say the team is playing down to the level of competition is to say they are starting games with their best hand (starting 5) which isn’t the case.
It’s time to take that pressure off of the outstanding young talent on this team in Puckett, Pissott, Striplin, Hollingshead and company!
Rickea Jackson should be starting.

I don’t necessarily agree. The coach since about a month or two ago decided that the best scorer in the SEC would come off the bench. A decision that now seems to be permanent. Briefly it was supported by the fact that the new lineup was getting off to fast starts.
However against Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt the runs have came with Rickea Jackson on the floor.
To say the team is playing down to the level of competition is to say they are starting games with their best hand (starting 5) which isn’t the case.
It’s time to take that pressure off of the outstanding young talent on this team in Puckett, Pissott, Striplin, Hollingshead and company!
Rickea Jackson should be starting.

It is not "permanent". But, while we are winning, she would be crazy to change that.

Down the road, might shuffle things again.

Never ever fix things that aren't broke....gheez!!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It is not "permanent". But, while we are winning, she would be crazy to change that.

You're driving down the road and your front end is going back-and-forth meaning your wheel is about to fall off do you wait till you wreck or do you pull over and fix the wheel

We are winning but we are also losing energy losing leads and playing complacent at times..

The front end is shaking

Reactions: TheeIronVol
You're driving down the road and your front end is going back-and-forth meaning your wheel is about to fall off do you wait till you wreck or do you pull over and fix the wheel

We are winning but we are also losing energy losing leads and playing complacent at times..

The front end is shaking

Let it ride. This isn't an 18-wheeler heading down a mountain.

If we lose today...who cares? Exact same as with boys team yesterday.

Keep Jackson coming off bench until February. Then, when we need to shuffle things up to make it fresh, she is the ace up our sleeve.

You don’t have to wait until a loss to reinsert one of the best players in WCBB back into their starting position once they’ve earned it.
I also believe it’ll take pressure off of Puckett. She’s an outstanding talent.. playing in the SEC against many veteran forwards to start off games is a challenge and not necessary when Rickea is on the roster.
Bring in Hollingshead and Puckett together as the frontcourt of the future with Striplin-Hollingshead-Puckett!

You don’t have to wait until a loss to reinsert one of the best players in WCBB back into their starting position once they’ve earned it.
I also believe it’ll take pressure off of Puckett. She’s an outstanding talent.. playing in the SEC against many veteran forwards to start off games is a challenge and not necessary when Rickea is on the roster.
Bring in Hollingshead and Puckett together as the frontcourt of the future with Striplin-Hollingshead-Puckett!

We will...once we lose a game.

What you said plus the fourth quarter letdown. We have a lead going into the fourth seems to be coast it out time. We need to be playing like the score is tied.

We won every individual quarter, but we left so many points on the court in all of them.

If JH shoots her average and we commit 6 less turnovers, we would have won by 20+.

Let it ride. This isn't an 18-wheeler heading down a mountain.

If we lose today...who cares? Exact same as with boys team yesterday.

Keep Jackson coming off bench until February. Then, when we need to shuffle things up to make it fresh, she is the ace up our sleeve.
I care, and I’m not the only one. We are not in the same position as the mens team. We are 13-6, with top teams yet to play, the men are 14-3. Against our toughest competition, we are going to need our best player from the beginning of the game to the end, with short rest breaks.

Reactions: krichunaka
I care, and I’m not the only one. We are not in the same position as the mens team. We are 13-6, with top teams yet to play, the men are 14-3. Against our toughest competition, we are going to need our best player from the beginning of the game to the end, with short rest breaks.

Pound sand.

Kaptain Kellie has this under control.

We won every individual quarter, but we left so many points on the court in all of them.

If JH shoots her average and we commit 6 less turnovers, we would have won by 20+.
True when Jordan has a shooting game like that it does go unnoticed. She usually makes about four or five more of those. Walker 1 for 7 hurt also, and the 33 points we let them score made it a 12 point game. Those three things together made a 12 point win in what if everything goes right a 25 to 30 point win. That is why I said just win cause something is going to go wrong in many games you play. You just hope it is more on the other team.

VN Store

Back