Game Thread: Lady Vols v Mizzou 3 PM Sunday at Mizzou, SEC+ (stream)

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
  • JoJo 001.jpg

black lady vol B-ball.jpg

• vs

• mizzou.png

at
    Missouri
    Columbia, MO
    Jan 22 (Sun)
    3:00 P.M. ET
    SEC
  • 003.jpg
Tennessee Lady Vols basketball vs. Missouri: Scouting report, score prediction
Cora Hall
Knoxville News Sentinel

Lady Vols basketball is back on the road after two wins at home.

Tennessee (15-6, 7-0 SEC) faces Missouri (14-5, 3-3) on Sunday (3 p.m. ET, SEC Network+) at Mizzou Arena. The Lady Vols are coming off a 74-56 win against Florida, and the Tigers were off Thursday after losing 81-50 at South Carolina on Sunday.

Here's what you need to know about the matchup in Columbia, Missouri:

STEPPING UP ON DEFENSE:How Lady Vols basketball made stark defensive turnaround and began shutting down SEC foes

BACK ON THE BALLOT:How Lady Vols writer Cora Hall voted in the AP Top 25: Why I'm voting for Tennessee again

LADY VOLS TRENDING UP:Three reasons for Lady Vols basketball's positive trajectory and 6-0 start to SEC play

Missouri on a downward spiral
The Tigers started off SEC play 3-0. Then they lost the next three games by more than 20 points to Arkansas, LSU and South Carolina.

In each loss, Missouri scored fewer than 60 points. The Lady Vols have hit their stride on defense and held their last three opponents to an average of 53.7 points.

But the Tigers have had all week to prepare at home for the matchup, and they're starving for a win. Missouri can be a trap game, especially at its own arena, and Tennessee will need to be sharp Sunday.

Missouri's Lauren Hansen (1) heads to the basket as LSU's Alexis Morris defends during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023, in Columbia, Mo. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
Tennessee can pick its poison against Tigers defense
Missouri has gotten beat in different ways the last three games.

Arkansas crushed the Tigers with 40 points in the paint. LSU hit 10 of 15 attempts from behind the arc. South Carolina outrebounded Missouri 52-22 and scored 29 second-chance points.

Tennessee has won games with each of those methods in SEC play. The Lady Vols prefer to dominate in the paint like they did with 44 points against Florida. But when Georgia kept them from getting to the rim, they hit eight 3-pointers.

Limiting turnovers and being disciplined on the boards will be key for Tennessee. Missouri was able to force LSU into 19 turnovers, which it scored 24 points off of.

Tennessee guard/forward Tess Darby (21) shoots the ball as Florida guard Leilani Correa (23) defends during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023.
A chance for Tennessee defense to keep building
Missouri's biggest threats offensively are its guards and Hayley Frank, a 6-foot-1 forward.

With Tennessee's size and athleticism, it should keep the Tigers out of the paint. But Missouri can shoot from deep, and it'll test the Lady Vols' guards on the perimeter. Lauren Hansen has made 44 3-pointers on 34.9% shooting and Frank is right behind her with 42 made 3-pointers on 39.3% shooting.

Part of the Lady Vols' defensive turnaround is their perimeter defense. SEC opponents made an average of 6.4 3-pointers against Tennessee the first five games. But the Lady Vols held Georgia to 0-for-14 from deep and Florida went 3-for-13 on Thursday – continuing to build on that is key.

Tennessee guard Jasmine Powell (15) defends against Florida guard Alberte Rimdal (5) during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023.
Lady Vols basketball vs. Missouri: Our score prediction
Tennessee 71, Missouri 53: It's hard to dig yourself out of a three-game losing streak against an undefeated team in conference play. With the momentum Tennessee has built, I believe it'll continue to build on its performances on both ends of the court. As long as the Lady Vols stay disciplined and execute the game plan, they'll bring home a win from Columbia.

Coach Jumper's prediction: 84-70
@VolBalls33 71-67
@LV renaissance 65-59
@Volfan2012 75-63
@VolBall09 78-57
@Ladyvol777 82-60
@chuckiepoo 73-62
@Vols2015 74-61
@volnationnj 74-68
@Raebo 75-57
@37620VOL 75-68
@dillyo51 71-61
@Orange Maniac 68-54
@Memvol44 67-61
@Amb3096 72-59
@Jax_Vol 66-63

Last edited:
This is the first SEC game I have felt the pre-game jitters. It could easily be a trap game for UT given that so many people are already talking about the UCONN and LSU games that are the subsequent games. Also factor into the jitter equation is that Mizzou tends to upset someone every year at home and that their recent tailspin has solely been to ranked teams. Nevertheless, I do think we pull it out in nail biter, 65 to 59.
By the way, that photo of Jordan gives me more hope. She looks so buff and athletic now and plays accordingly. I am so glad she stayed for another year. Her defense will be pivotal in this game.

Were not a good road team usually have an abundance of turnovers in road games. Missouri is not the type of team that should turn you over unless you just play sloppy and make a lot of unforced turnovers like we have done in most SEC road games. The gameplan is simple pound them on the boards at least keep the turnovers even and you should win if you shoot a decent percentage. The main fear they bring is their three point shooting 35 percent as a team. They don't really have much of an inside game as it is their last resort when you drive them off the three point line.
I see us as 10 points better even at their place, but sometimes we don't play to our talent and play down to the level of the opponents talent on the road. I could see Rickea and Jordan combining for 40 points and if everyone else just has a decent game we should at least score 75. If so they average 68 and just keeping them to their average would be a win.
We beat them really badly in Knoxville last year so they will be geared up and ready to play. You can never say how a team as inconsistent as we have been on the road and even stretches at home is going to play. I still think If we come with the effort were capable of we score 75 in this game and can hold them below their average 68 by a few points.
Tennessee 75 Missouri 63

Tennessee Lady Vols basketball vs. Missouri: Scouting report, score prediction
Cora Hall
Knoxville News Sentinel

Lady Vols basketball is back on the road after two wins at home.

Tennessee (15-6, 7-0 SEC) faces Missouri (14-5, 3-3) on Sunday (3 p.m. ET, SEC Network+) at Mizzou Arena. The Lady Vols are coming off a 74-56 win against Florida, and the Tigers were off Thursday after losing 81-50 at South Carolina on Sunday.

Here's what you need to know about the matchup in Columbia, Missouri:

STEPPING UP ON DEFENSE:How Lady Vols basketball made stark defensive turnaround and began shutting down SEC foes

BACK ON THE BALLOT:How Lady Vols writer Cora Hall voted in the AP Top 25: Why I'm voting for Tennessee again

LADY VOLS TRENDING UP:Three reasons for Lady Vols basketball's positive trajectory and 6-0 start to SEC play

Missouri on a downward spiral
The Tigers started off SEC play 3-0. Then they lost the next three games by more than 20 points to Arkansas, LSU and South Carolina.

In each loss, Missouri scored fewer than 60 points. The Lady Vols have hit their stride on defense and held their last three opponents to an average of 53.7 points.

But the Tigers have had all week to prepare at home for the matchup, and they're starving for a win. Missouri can be a trap game, especially at its own arena, and Tennessee will need to be sharp Sunday.

Missouri's Lauren Hansen (1) heads to the basket as LSU's Alexis Morris defends during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023, in Columbia, Mo. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
Tennessee can pick its poison against Tigers defense
Missouri has gotten beat in different ways the last three games.

Arkansas crushed the Tigers with 40 points in the paint. LSU hit 10 of 15 attempts from behind the arc. South Carolina outrebounded Missouri 52-22 and scored 29 second-chance points.

Tennessee has won games with each of those methods in SEC play. The Lady Vols prefer to dominate in the paint like they did with 44 points against Florida. But when Georgia kept them from getting to the rim, they hit eight 3-pointers.

Limiting turnovers and being disciplined on the boards will be key for Tennessee. Missouri was able to force LSU into 19 turnovers, which it scored 24 points off of.

Tennessee guard/forward Tess Darby (21) shoots the ball as Florida guard Leilani Correa (23) defends during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023.
A chance for Tennessee defense to keep building
Missouri's biggest threats offensively are its guards and Hayley Frank, a 6-foot-1 forward.

With Tennessee's size and athleticism, it should keep the Tigers out of the paint. But Missouri can shoot from deep, and it'll test the Lady Vols' guards on the perimeter. Lauren Hansen has made 44 3-pointers on 34.9% shooting and Frank is right behind her with 42 made 3-pointers on 39.3% shooting.

Part of the Lady Vols' defensive turnaround is their perimeter defense. SEC opponents made an average of 6.4 3-pointers against Tennessee the first five games. But the Lady Vols held Georgia to 0-for-14 from deep and Florida went 3-for-13 on Thursday – continuing to build on that is key.

Tennessee guard Jasmine Powell (15) defends against Florida guard Alberte Rimdal (5) during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023.
Lady Vols basketball vs. Missouri: Our score prediction
Tennessee 71, Missouri 53: It's hard to dig yourself out of a three-game losing streak against an undefeated team in conference play. With the momentum Tennessee has built, I believe it'll continue to build on its performances on both ends of the court. As long as the Lady Vols stay disciplined and execute the game plan, they'll bring home a win from Columbia.

How Lady Vols basketball made stark defensive turnaround and began shutting down SEC foes
More for Subscribers

Should be a solid win for Tennessee, SC beat Mizzu by 31 could have be more.

I think the matchups favor us significantly. Playing at MIZZOU is never a super great experience but I think we will get them by double digits on the road.

I’m going 78-57 Lady Vols.

They do not matchup well at all with us.

They go:
Troup 5’10” and slow (generous)
Hansen 5’8”
Dembele 5’6”
Frank 6’1”
Kelly 6’3”

Tess will be Troup’s nightmare I suspect, she has had some good games against us in the past. They play a similar game but Tess has improved leaps and bounds defensively. With her length I think she’ll give her a fit tomorrow.

Hansen and Dembele cannot contend with Walker/Horston/Jackson. Just can’t.

Frank doesn’t have the foot speed to guard
either player either so I’m thinking we see a lot of zone from them. We have played so much better against the zone this season which has been refreshing. Our ball movement is better than it has been in a long time.

Kelly is a nothing burger really. Our posts should have a field day with her imo. Look for Jill to have a really solid game. Sara Smith is their best rebounder and that’s her primary job. Have to keep a body on her when she comes in the game.

Also, Jazz Franklin and coach Kellie still have that MIZZOU/Mo State rivalry hatred so I’m sure they’ll both bring it as well

This is the first SEC game I have felt the pre-game jitters. It could easily be a trap game for UT given that so many people are already talking about the UCONN and LSU games that are the subsequent games. Also factor into the jitter equation is that Mizzou tends to upset someone every year at home and that their recent tailspin has solely been to ranked teams. Nevertheless, I do think we pull it out in nail biter, 65 to 59.
By the way, that photo of Jordan gives me more hope. She looks so buff and athletic now and plays accordingly. I am so glad she stayed for another year. Her defense will be pivotal in this game.

I would suggest that the idea of trap games is "fan fiction." Everything a team does is preparing for the next game. No coach is going to proclaim, "hey team, our focus needs to be on the game after this one!" Upsets do happen and when they do, fans explain those unexpected losses as "a trap game" but they usually reflect weaknesses in a team coming to the fore,

The LVs have utilized most of their degrees of freedom with the opening season losses and they need to almost run the table against SEC opponents. If their only losses were to South Carolina and LSU, that would not hurt too much, though a win against LSU would obviously be better.

But, they need this win against Mizzou. They should get it. I would bet if they played Mizzou 10 times they would win 7 or 8 of them.

The only way they lose is if they have one of their "shooting brick" nights or fall back into some insane number of TOs. Those tendencies are in this team so it is a persistent source of concern. And if they have an opening quarter like they did against FL (and Mizzou hits some threes in return), they could find themselves in a double digit hole. If that happens, though, it won't be because the LVs got caught in a "trap game" but that their tendency to have slow starts bit them.

herhoops has it 69-64 LVs ... 67% win probablilty.

I'll go 75-68 LVs.

They have 3 elite 3-point shooters. So on defense try to give up no 3s and no easy layups. Make them earn it.

herhoops has it 69-64 LVs ... 67% win probablilty.

I'll go 75-68 LVs.

They have 3 elite 3-point shooters. So on defense try to give up no 3s and no easy layups. Make them earn it.
I just hope Sophie has something else to do this weekend… Dangerous game. This could be a get right for them:
7A006074-9C1B-40B9-96B7-6601DAA0113E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I am a firm believer in “trap” games, because trap games are about human nature. The Coaches will of course do their best to direct the focus of their players to the game being played, and yes, with our early losses, we put more pressure on every game, so almost every game is a must win.

Trap games can be before, or even after a big game, win or lose. In every sport you see where a team gives their all, and beats a huge foe, only to lose the next game, because they couldn’t bring the same intensity in the next game. The emotion and energy were not the same.

In this case, we not only have a huge game, after this game, but a long time rival, and, oh yes, Gameday is coming. It is a huge distraction. Reporters and cameras will be there. Our lovely ladies will think about how they look, and what they will say in their interviews. Our Coaches will also be required to spend time with reporters.

You can tell players what they should think about, but thoughts are hard to control. If we have a player in any game who is obviously lacking in focus, they should sit.

Actually, I think playing an away game will help with our team’s focus. The team is together in an unfamiliar place, and only have each other to be around and depend upon.

The rest of our schedule looks like one big trap game, for one reason or another. Take a look, it is a gauntlet. We will have to have focus and control, of our emotions, thoughts, intensity, execution, and determination. Time to really step up.

GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in “trap” games, because trap games are about human nature. The Coaches will of course do their best to direct the focus of their players to the game being played, and yes, with our early losses, we put more pressure on every game, so almost every game is a must win.

Trap games can be before, or even after a big game, win or lose. In every sport you see where a team gives their all, and beats a huge foe, only to lose the next game, because they couldn’t bring the same intensity in the next game. The emotion and energy was not the same.

In this case, we not only have a huge game, after this game, but a long time rival, and, oh yes, Gameday is coming. It is a huge distraction. Reporters and cameras will be there. Our lovely ladies will think about how they look, and what they will say in their interviews. Our Coaches will also be required to spend time with reporters.

You can tell players what they should think about, but thoughts are hard to control. If we have a player in any game who is obviously lacking in focus, they should sit.

Actually, I think playing an away game will help with our team’s focus. The team is together in an unfamiliar place, and only have each other to be around and depend upon.

The rest of our schedule looks like one big trap game, for one reason or another. Take a look, it is a gauntlet. We will have to have focus and control, of our emotions, thoughts, intensity, execution, and determination. Time to really step up.

GO LADY VOLS!

Just to clarify, the situation where a team has a let down after a big win or upset is not what I was conjecturing about. Upsets typically happen because an underdog plays way above their baseline performance level. They are exceptional wins because they are exceptions to statistical probabilities. And even teams that are not underdogs can aso have emotional let downs after a really big win against a rival.

Trap games usually refer to the idea of a team in the normal order of business not focusing or getting up sufficiently for "a run of the mill" foe because they are looking ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLPAT
Just to clarify, the situation where a team has a let down after a big win or upset is not what I was conjecturing about. Upsets typically happen because an underdog plays way above their baseline performance level. They are exceptional wins because they are exceptions to statistical probabilities. And even teams that are not underdogs can aso have emotional let downs after a really big win against a rival.

Trap games usually refer to the idea of a team in the normal order of business not focusing or getting up sufficiently for "a run of the mill" foe because they are looking ahead.
Even though Missouri is not a run of the mill foe, the game against them makes them a classic possible trap game, because many, including Gameday, are looking past them to the UConn game. Hopefully, our team is not.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Trap games can be before, or even after a big game, win or lose. In every sport you see where a team gives their all, and beats a huge foe, only to lose the next game, because they couldn’t bring the same intensity in the next game. The emotion and energy were not the same.

Maybe I have an unconventional view on "trap games". I think it's one of those things that's not a problem unless you make it a problem. I think coaches can speak trap games into existence just by bringing it up. Coach says, "I know everyone is telling you you just have to show up to win this one, but watch out this is a trap game. It's going to be hard fought, and we are going to get their best effort blah, blah, blah." What do you know, the team goes out tight and more focused on the team in the other locker room than the team in theirs. It can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Instead, coach should address the team with a consistent message based on the game plan, execution, and expectations. The team will notice any changes in the coach's delivery. If coach wants consistent high-quality performances, then lead by example. Address the things that are real and matter between the baselines; if a player is not giving 100% for any reason, sit their tail down... message delivered.

I also hate when anyone says it's hard to beat a good team 3 times, like the first 2 wins mean anything other than, if you handle your business, you should win the third too.

Maybe I have an unconventional view on "trap games". I think it's one of those things that's not a problem unless you make it a problem. I think coaches can speak trap games into existence just by bringing it up. Coach says, "I know everyone is telling you you just have to show up to win this one, but watch out this is a trap game. It's going to be hard fought, and we are going to get their best effort blah, blah, blah." What do you know, the team goes out tight and more focused on the team in the other locker room than the team in theirs. It can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Instead, coach should address the team with a consistent message based on the game plan, execution, and expectations. The team will notice any changes in the coach's delivery. If coach wants consistent high-quality performances, then lead by example. Address the things that are real and matter between the baselines; if a player is not giving 100% for any reason, sit their tail down... message delivered.

I also hate when anyone says it's hard to beat a good team 3 times, like the first 2 wins mean anything other than, if you handle your business, you should win the third too.
I would be surprised if any of our Coaches said the words ‘trap game’. They are all about positive reinforcement and focus on the current game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back