Game Thread: Lady Vols V Carson Newman

anyone thinking the shooting with be much better than what we saw here will be disappointed. Coach Harper's teams are traditionally bad shooting teams.

The last 6 years her teams were 238th, 204th, 177th, 227th, 143rd, and 70th in the country.
Well great! I feel so much better. One exhibition game and I'm already teetering on the ledge bout to jump off.

How does that happen? How do you coach crappy shooting? LOL I guess Holly figured out how didn't she? Wouldn't a coach recognize the trend and like, incorporate a shooting drill or something? Do some coaches just have an inordinate ability to spot highly-rated recruits who can't shoot and never improve?

Sustained low shooting percentage probably has alot to do with overall inept, unpolished offense. Which I was so hoping not to have to watch again this year. Small ray of hope that KJH's last team at least improved their ranking among the crappy shooters pretty significantly. Onward and upward.

Just an exhibition game with coaches trying to see what different combinations look like, so nothing to measure anything by, but... anyone thinking the shooting with be much better than what we saw here will be disappointed. Coach Harper's teams are traditionally bad shooting teams.

The last 6 years her teams were 238th, 204th, 177th, 227th, 143rd, and 70th in the country.

So she took a program ranked 238th in shooting when she took over and ranked 70th when she left?

Sounds like pretty good improvement.

horston makes it look so easy when she drives to the basket..its like a thing of beauty.

it will be interesting to see how kellie brings it all together during the course of the season

Driving is smooth, but not great yet.
She needs to practice full court dribble layups and full court receptions ,,for fast breaks.
She will most likely be the speed guard, and the breakaway guard, so lets get her in the gym and get her to softening up her release when at full speed.

I think Kellie will settle in but I also think it will take a couple of games.
(I hope she proves me wrong)

So she took a program ranked 238th in shooting when she took over and ranked 70th when she left?

Sounds like pretty good improvement.

Or, she took a team that was 123rd the year before she got there, not to mention 46th the year before that, and was immediately way worse, then for 5 years continued to be worse. Any statistician would see the 70th as an anomaly until more data proved it otherwise. Compare the rankings to where the Lady Vols have been the last six years:
14th, 67th, 116th, 60th, 31st, and 57th, years in which nearly ALL of us thought we didn't shoot wel, and the 116th is clearly the anomaly.

Or, she took a team that was 123rd the year before she got there, not to mention 46th the year before that, and was immediately way worse, then for 5 years continued to be worse. Any statistician would see the 70th as an anomaly until more data proved it otherwise. Compare the rankings to where the Lady Vols have been the last six years:
14th, 67th, 116th, 60th, 31st, and 57th, years in which nearly ALL of us thought we didn't shoot wel, and the 116th is clearly the anomaly.

Well, without knowing the composition of the team when Kellie took over at MO St, and whether any of the "shooters" from the year before and the year before that remained on the team, there is really no way to evaluate such a comparison. These statistics really aren't worth much without underlying data/information. Shooting analysis isn't done in a vacuum. It requires consideration of the individuals who are taking the shots, as well as consideration of the fact that the team is, in all likelyhood, learning a new program!

Jim

Well, without knowing the composition of the team when Kellie took over at MO St, and whether any of the "shooters" from the year before and the year before that remained on the team, there is really no way to evaluate such a comparison. These statistics really aren't worth much without underlying data/information. Shooting analysis isn't done in a vacuum. It requires consideration of the individuals who are taking the shots, as well as consideration of the fact that the team is, in all likelyhood, learning a new program!

Jim

The point of my original post was pretty simple: five years of lousy shooting is more than coincidence, so expecting the current team's shooting to be significantly better than it currently looks is blind faith at best. Doesn't mean it won't improve marginally, doesn't mean we won't win games if we play great D and dominate the boards, just means we're not likely to be a great shooting team and probably not even a good shooting team. I'll leave it at that and come back to the topic later in the season.

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back