Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas

Great WIN today Lady Vols. Such an awesome win on the Texas road today.
All of us are very proud showing our Orange & White w/a big smile on our face while Christmas shopping.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Davis was asleep the first 3 quarters mostly from the bench. She seems to pout more than anyone on the team. Glad the ladies showed her that they can win without her. She is so moody that I am not sure how dependable she is but maybe a wakeup game for her. Two other things I noticed are that Texas is not as good as I thought they were and we may be a tad better than we have shown in the past few games.JMHO as usual
I have to apologize a little bit to Davis. I just re-watched the game and she had some big rebounds in the game especially late. I guess I expect so much from her because we have seen flashes of what she can do on the offensive end. There were a couple of foul calls on Collins and Westbrook that were completely bogus but I guess that's to be expected. It sure was a fun game to watch. Will have to re-watch the men's game tomorrow.

Evina Westbrook has become the point guard Tennessee has been looking for a lot of years. She had had 20+ points a games for the last 3 games. Love how she has started driving the ball. I sure hate that Kasiyahna Kushkituah is not playing she like Westbrook looks like she is improving leaps and bounds. We have some very good years ahead of us in Basketball. So happy the boys won also. As always go Lady Vol's.

I finally got to watch the game, and it was so exciting! Jackson and Westbrook -- 🤗!

Obviously it's still pretty early in the season so there is still plenty to improve on as the freshmen gain experience, but this was a true quality win and I will definitely sleep better tonight.

Folks over react win the LVs lose or for this season, when they don't win in some idealized manner. So, i will overreact on their beating Texas on their home court and on a day, where Davis was not her usual high impact self, and no KK (when we needed post presence) and the LVs had a fair share of freshman miscues.

This was a BIG win against their first ranked opponent and it signals that the LV's 8-0 start is legit.

When Rennia went out early with 2 fouls, I thought who will step up? Boom -Meme and Evina with Cheridene taking control of the boards. And the team actually listened to Holly and started taking it to the rim against a slow footed Texas defense.

And Rennia's 3 late was CLUTCH!!!

Great road win. This team is getting better. Hope KK can join them soon. Need to get into SEC shape.
Holly said after the game she thought KK would be back in two days. She will be a little rusty but maybe she can give us a few good minutes.

Great Solid Road Win! i wish i was able to watch it live but i wasn't home and could only keep up with the boxscore. hopefully i will be able to watch the replay today.

Looking at the game the upperclassmen were 23 of 45 from the field 51 percent. They hit 19 of 24 from the foul line 79 percent.
The freshmen were 4 of 15 for 27 percent. 5 of 8 from the foul line 63 percent.

Holly is trying to bring the freshmen along and in this game we had the right people taking the shots. As the freshmen develop their games and get used to this level of play this team could become one of the top five teams in the nation. We just need those freshmen to become more efficient in their play.

The upperclassmen have really developed their games over the summer it is obvious how much better Jackson and Westbrook are playing this season. Davis is also better she had a bad game yesterday and really needs to control her emotions but she is a huge talent. Our big three are Westbrook, Jackson, and Davis and upon them this season rides. I think we can get some help from Zaay and Rae as the season progresses they will get better with every practice and every game.

After eight games here are the totals of the big three:

Davis 14.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 77 percent free throw percentage, 51 percent field goal percentage.
Westbrook 16.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 64 percent ft, 51 percent FG, 38 assists 25 turnovers 1.52 to 1 to to assist ratio
Jackson 13.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 81 percent ft, 46 percent FG, 18 of 47 from the three 38 percent

These three are averaging 44 ppg that is exactly what we need from them and their efficiency is fabulous.

Cheridine at 8 points and 7 rebounds and KK 10 points and 6 rebounds give us a starting five that is really productive. I think we really miss KK and being able to win like we have without her shows how much these players have developed and progressed.
As the season goes along where this team can progress the most is seeing the freshmen develop their games and Davis become more intense in her play. Really can't argue with Davis numbers but you know that she is capable of so much more if she ever reaches that level this team becomes a final four team.

I hope they look at this win for what it was. The next game. It shows them their potential. They are not big time yet and those close wins in December should tell them that they have a ways to go but I like their confidence. The players have not had real confidence in a while.

Holly said after the game she thought KK would be back in two days. She will be a little rusty but maybe she can give us a few good minutes.

Don't forget Harris. She's given us some big minutes on the defensive end in KK's absence.

...Holly is trying to bring the freshmen along and in this game we had the right people taking the shots. As the freshmen develop their games and get used to this level of play this team could become one of the top five teams in the nation. We just need those freshmen to become more efficient in their play.

The upperclassmen have really developed their games over the summer it is obvious how much better Jackson and Westbrook are playing this season. Davis is also better she had a bad game yesterday and really needs to control her emotions but she is a huge talent. Our big three are Westbrook, Jackson, and Davis and upon them this season rides. I think we can get some help from Zaay and Rae as the season progresses they will get better with every practice and every game.

And don't you forget about our other freshmen. Mimi is showing some real toughness and making a contribution when asked. Jaz hasn't found her step yet, but it's hard to be a freshman PG, and she'll come around.

Last edited:
Watching the replay, first quarter was tough for us, couldn’t set our defense because of all the foul calls. If we can’t score and set our defense our offense struggles.

So many moving screen calls, I know it is an emphasis this year, but we’ve got to adjust.

Not just us either, that’s been all over the league.

Rae Burrell has the size, athleticism, and desire to be a beast on the boards in the future. She also has the guard skills to take the ball out of the net and up the floor. If her game comes along next year our transition game will be even better. She seems to enjoy rebounding and if she can also start the break we become an even faster team.

I get more excited each game watching this group. I haven’t seen on court communication like this in years.

I had to keep checking to make sure we weren't watching the Longhorn Network - but of course Landers and Lobo have no love for the LVs. But when Landers said Conrad set the table for women's cb and Pat came along and built on her success, I almost chucked something at the tv.

I didn’t mention this but ugh. I dislike when she calls our games. She said 0 positive things about us. Anytime we’d go on a run she and Adam Amin would start yapping about something irrelevant. I actually think it was starting to annoy Andy. I feel he tries to be impartial, just years of getting beaten by UT make that hard. He at least tries to talk basketball and doesn’t just ramble.

Last edited:
I’m extremely impressed by this road win. Are they young? Yes....Did they have a few mental lapses defensively? Yes... Do they need to control the boards better? Yes......Now, the most encouraging part of this game is that these ladies get Holy’s Offensive system. They seemed so free out there. They were shooting a lot of 3 pointers....Westbrook drove to the basket a lot and couldn’t be stopped. They moved the ball so well, they were making great cuts, using a lot of screen action plays and making easy buckets. That’s what Holly wants to see from this squad. Now, they have a few things to tweak before they play a very good Stanford team. All the same, this team showed that they have fight. I REALLY enjoyed watching the Lady Vols play today. It reminded me of a Pat Summit led team. You know a team that relentlessly competes, has great composure and never gives up even when they are down. Meme Jackson and Evina Westbrook, were floor generals today. Having Zay Green out there when Rennia was In foul trouble helped a great deal too. Rennia has to get off to better starts. She is a matchup nightmare, when she isn’t thinking too much, they will need her more as the season progresses. Hopefully KK will be ready to go for the Stanford game as well. They have to continue improving. The SEC seems to be tougher this year than it was last year.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
blah blah blah welcome to the ignore group.

Ur the only one to exercise ur ignore right okkk..Anyone got their mouth & hand to write and say their mind. Like Geno stated, if you don't like women game, don't watch)

I have to apologize a little bit to Davis. I just re-watched the game and she had some big rebounds in the game especially late. I guess I expect so much from her because we have seen flashes of what she can do on the offensive end. There were a couple of foul calls on Collins and Westbrook that were completely bogus but I guess that's to be expected. It sure was a fun game to watch. Will have to re-watch the men's game tomorrow.

No need to apologize about Davis she is one one the leaders and is a starter and knew she needed to step up end of story ! I will be the first to say i was very hard on Meme Jackson before this game.

I'm not letting her off the hook, we need her...

Bridgette needs to sit down with Davis, her effort on defense is poor, it's been that way all season. She didn't work on her handles, so she doesn't feel confident enough to create her own shots, to put the ball on floor against smaller guards, so now she is like a forward/post you have to set her up. She wont attack period. She won't help herself, she plays str8 up no bent knees, or a stance. SMH

She's got to get better. It's still early in the season but her play thus far, besides the 4th quarter in UAB game is her only shinning moment, she's not hunting for shots and not defending, she has time. Yes

I hope this team hold each other accountable for their play or lack thereof, but she's not defending, and only rebounding in the 4th. Nicky, let's see how tough she is... Hopefully some one watch video with her over this break, and point out her effort on defense and the boards.

Davis doesn't play aggressive, I'm sorry but players by now you usually see that "it" factor one thing in their game that separates them from everyone else, that one skill right now for Davis is shooting wide open threes seems like that's all she wants to do. We believe in you Davis but this is what you have been showing so far this season. You need to get tougher mentally and physically young lady.

Bridgette, show her how the 3 and 4 players ball for the Lady Vols, the kind of effort and efficient and leadership, that is expected from that spot. Davis sit down over this break and watch film on Gordon, Catching, Holdsclaw, McCray, etc, watch how they competed on both sides of the ball, if you don't do anything else watch her they defended and rebounded, all the pride.

Westbrook is the alpha on this team, playing like the #1 player in her class.

Meme be careful what you show us, we gonna expect to see it every game.

The persistent pursuit of Consistency onto the next game. Rae, I left you out. Thanks.

Davis, become that bih, that bad bih!

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksl415

VN Store

Back