Game Thread: Lady Vols at LSU

About the game, so my fantasy of a consistent upward trajectory for this team is shot to hell. Good news is it was a league road win, and most definitely a game we would have lost in previous years. That said, not sure how we could have tried much harder to give this away.

I'm disappointed that we're still tortured by the same demons that have haunted us for years: silly turnovers and panic offense combined with total inability to stop quick guards and their layup drills. I give LSU credit, they played very good D, espec on Rennia, and as always, Nikki had them well-prepared for us.

Back to the every game is an adventure roller coaster. Georgia will be tough and who knows how we'll play. At least its never boring. Frustrating, maddening, takes years off your life, but not boring. Just hope the good LVs show up next time.

I think the GA game might have a little more flow because their guards like to get up and go. Now guarding their guards is a different story but shouldn’t be as choppy of a game

I hope they show up too. It’s funny we all think and probably know they would of lost these games the past few seasons and it’s still hard to believe lol. I guess it tells you something when the team hasn’t won there since 2014 and we still want more... that’s a good thing

I think the GA game might have a little more flow because their guards like to get up and go. Now guarding their guards is a different story but shouldn’t be as choppy of a game

I hope they show up too. It’s funny we all think and probably know they would of lost these games the past few seasons and it’s still hard to believe lol. I guess it tells you something when the team hasn’t won there since 2014 and we still want more... that’s a good thing

Connally , Caldwell , Morrison all can get to the basket as can Coombs. If TN can cut back on the turnovers they can win this game.

Great post. I’m getting over last night. Thrilled we won.

Was just looking back out of curiosity. LSU only lost one home game in SEC play last season. That was to Georgia toward the end.

They beat ranked Kentucky, ranked Texas A&M and and #25 ranked Tennessee at home last year. Tough to get out of Baton Rouge with a victory.

Not about Key's hair. In my fondest dreams, what ails Tamari's game could be fixed with a new hairstyle. What a strange assertion!

I watched replay specifically looking for braid interference during the game and found absolutely none. A few times, during game stoppage, she flipped a stray braidlet from the front of her shoulder to the back. Oh the horrors!

A few more times, while lined up on the lane waiting for a free throw, she reached up and adjusted whatever the device that holds it all together. In doing so, she was in danger of interfering with the elbows of every other player lined up, who were also busy adjusting pony tails, head bands, buns, etc.

My dimestore psychoanalysis is its mostly habit/nervous/something to do with my hands type gestures, just like pulling at the legs of the shorts, wiping the bottom of shoes, etc. Always done during play stoppage, never influencing action. Less than nothing to do, sadly, with Key's struggles. Oh but that it were that easy!

Last edited:
Great post. I’m getting over last night. Thrilled we won.

Was just looking back out of curiosity. LSU only lost one home game in SEC play last season. That was to Georgia toward the end.

They beat ranked Kentucky, ranked Texas A&M and and #25 ranked Tennessee at home last year. Tough to get out of Baton Rouge with a victory.

i totally get that. I want to stay on an upward trajectory but when you are trying to get back to doing things the right way it takes time and i want it now lol

That’s impressive about their home record.

Connally , Caldwell , Morrison all can get to the basket as can Coombs. If TN can cut back on the turnovers they can win this game.

Agreed, I am thinking Staiti and KK are looking forward to the match up because they have similar body types and the contact won’t look as noticeable.

GA was able to do entry passes to their post last game which helped them pull away in the third I am hoping the length of TN will cause them tk second guess.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
After watching a second time. Horston did play very well down the stretch. She did not have a great first half.
That both those things happened is notable, and a very good development.

Horston took herself out mentally in her frustration over the fouls, probably as much frustrated with herself that she keeps making these charging fouls over and over as with the calls. And speaking of calls, next time we go to bitchin bout the refs, rewatch the no call on that very obvious push off Jordan made late in the game. I do think there was extracurricular floppage on the play, which made the ref shake off the call. But ya'll know 99% of the time extending the arm into the defenders chest is a charge. Nonetheless, Jordan was able to pull herself together and make big time contributions with the game on the line. This is a big plus.

She has too many defensive breakdowns. She and Burrell both seem to think if they get beat they can block the shot from behind.
Horston has played so well defensively this year. I did notice Rae got whupped a few times against Arky when a quick guard left her standing. I think of both Jordan and Rae as pretty quick players, but I wonder if their long armed, long legged body types make it hard for them to guard waterbugs one on one. I think the attempt to block from behind is last ditch trying to save the play stuff. Nothing planned in advance. Or maybe they've watched Yves Pons too much (or not enough!).
One thing that frustrated me watching it back was Horston’s lack of hustle. There were several times where the ball was on the floor and the LSU players were diving after it and Horston was just standing there watching and then finally got involved after someone from the bench yelled at her.
I really don't think its lack of hustle. JH seems a very passionate player. I think its the same fuzzy decision making that the still fairly young player struggles with. When to stay, when to go. Hopefully every game is a learning experience in that area for her and others.

Anyone that makes anything out of this game except we won and they lost is dealing in conspiracy theories. The play here will have nothing to do with how we play going forward. LSU is a different kind of team smaller do a lot of grabbing and bumping that Refs ignore. We've played this game with them the last several times we've played always the same type game. They always play us tough no matter what kind of team they have. I don't think they will have a winning record in the SEC, but think they will sneak up on somebody at home that you wouldn't expect them to beat.

Anyone that makes anything out of this game except we won and they lost is dealing in conspiracy theories
Disagree. Those missed free throws and bad decisions late in the game were stark reality I'm afraid. And had zero to do with the opponent.

The assertion that the ability to stink it up this badly will not carry forward, that this was an absolute aberration, is the conspiracy theory IMO. Past not prologue to future? In this case, I hope that's true, and at some point, it truly will be the last time the LVs display wild inconsistency. Unfortunately, I don't think yesterday was that time.

Disagree. Those missed free throws and bad decisions late in the game were stark reality I'm afraid. And had zero to do with the opponent.

The assertion that the ability to stink it up this badly will not carry forward, that this was an absolute aberration, is the conspiracy theory IMO. Past not prologue to future? In this case, I hope that's true, and at some point, it truly will be the last time the LVs display wild inconsistency. Unfortunately, I don't think yesterday was that time.
I never said it was the last time they would be inconsistent. I said you can't take the way they played in this game as the way they will play in any particular game going forward. Just like every team in the SEC they will have good and bad performances on offense. People saying that this bodes for bad performances going forward in every game we play are just wrong. LSU has forced every team they play into double digit turnovers. The team that had the least turnovers vs. them was West Virginia who committed 16. Our total of 19 was better than everyone except West Virginia 16. Ole Miss 17 and Lafayette 18. The free throw misses happen wasn't expected from Walker 75 but in a pressure situation it happened. KK missing two anytime she goes to the line is not unusual.

People saying that this bodes for bad performances going forward in every game we play are just wrong.
Not every game, but ANY game. That's the thing. Yes everyone has bad games now and then. Maybe, probably, I'm over hysterical due to recent LV past, but it seems to me the LVs are uniquely capable of frequent bad games regardless of opponent and in repetitive, seemingly avoidable ways.

I just long for a shred of consistency. A popup bad game now and them due to matchup problems would be ok if they didn't happen so dang often.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Agreed, I am thinking Staiti and KK are looking forward to the match up because they have similar body types and the contact won’t look as noticeable.

GA was able to do entry passes to their post last game which helped them pull away in the third I am hoping the length of TN will cause them tk second guess.

Staiti 6-5 will have a very hard time shooting over Key as she did last year. Don`t get me wrong Staiti is a better player this season so far. But shooting over Key is no easy task for any player. Can someone post a clip of the block she had on Pointer in the 4th Key while guarding 6-5 Faustine Aifuwa it was an outstanding swat across court. As for KK she played pretty well to if you take away the turnovers.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Not every game, but ANY game. That's the thing. Yes everyone has bad games now and then. Maybe, probably, I'm over hysterical due to recent LV past, but it seems to me the LVs are uniquely capable of sudden, random bad games regardless of opponent and in repetative, seemingly avoidable ways.

I just long for a shred of consistency. A popup bad game now and them due to matchup problems would be ok if they didn't happen every other game.
I think playing consistent in the SEC game in and game out is a thing of the past. We've reached a level of consistency so far this season that we haven't seen in the past. I hope it continues but I know were going to have some games where we don't play that well make enough smart decisions. I am just glad that at least thus far this season it is not inconsistency game after game like we saw when Holly was coach. Bad habits are hard to break I think Harper has brought us a long way. We have a long ways to go but I see progress. A few years ago we wouldn't have been able to make that stop to win a game. We had lost three in a row down there but had beat them at home. This year was the only time we play them and winning down there I believe will give this team huge confidence no matter the terrible play.

Staiti 6-5 will have a very hard time shooting over Key as she did last year. Don`t get me wrong Staiti is a better player this season so far. But shooting over Key is no easy task for any player. Can someone post a clip of the block she had on Pointer in the 4th Key while guarding 6-5 Faustine Aifuwa it was an outstanding swat across court. As for KK she played pretty well to if you take away the turnovers.
That is a key matchup in the game one we need to win. That meaning defensively. If the combination of Key and KK can equal out Staiti I think we win this game.

Reactions: djtee
I never said it was the last time they would be inconsistent. I said you can't take the way they played in this game as the way they will play in any particular game going forward. Just like every team in the SEC they will have good and bad performances on offense. People saying that this bodes for bad performances going forward in every game we play are just wrong. LSU has forced every team they play into double digit turnovers. The team that had the least turnovers vs. them was West Virginia who committed 16. Our total of 19 was better than everyone except West Virginia 16. Ole Miss 17 and Lafayette 18. The free throw misses happen wasn't expected from Walker 75 but in a pressure situation it happened. KK missing two anytime she goes to the line is not unusual.

The biggest issue that I'm afraid will carry forward is that we still don't have a player that is effective defending a small quick guard who likes to drive to the basket without excessive fouling. We've been lacking in this regard for a long time, and I don't see anyone who's going to fill this role this season.

The turnovers are fixable (KJH has done a pretty good job with that already), and the FT shooting is fixable by players getting in the gym and putting up shots.

The biggest issue that I'm afraid will carry forward is that we still don't have a player that is effective defending a small quick guard who likes to drive to the basket without excessive fouling. We've been lacking in this regard for a long time, and I don't see anyone who's going to fill this role this season.

The turnovers are fixable (KJH has done a pretty good job with that already), and the FT shooting is fixable by players getting in the gym and putting up shots.
I believe we certainly need some quicker smaller guards and we have two coming next season. Right now I think were fighting to be as good as we can and finish as high as we can in the SEC. If we could get to the NCAA tourney and finish in the top 20 would be totally satisfied with this season. We not only need guards that are quicker we need more effective post players. I think Key has the talent if she ever develops it to where I think she could go remains to be seen. Right now she has played fair no where near what her length and size indicates she has the potential to achieve.

I think playing consistent in the SEC game in and game out is a thing of the past. We've reached a level of consistency so far this season that we haven't seen in the past. I hope it continues but I know were going to have some games where we don't play that well make enough smart decisions. I am just glad that at least thus far this season it is not inconsistency game after game like we saw when Holly was coach. Bad habits are hard to break I think Harper has brought us a long way. We have a long ways to go but I see progress. A few years ago we wouldn't have been able to make that stop to win a game. We had lost three in a row down there but had beat them at home. This year was the only time we play them and winning down there I believe will give this team huge confidence no matter the terrible play.

Some will disagree but i think the play of our post will determine how far this team will go. Yes they don`t bring much scoring, But if you look at yesterday game and KJH post game interview she talked about KK and Key and wanted Key to shoot more and she did look for her shot more. Also i notice KJH wasted no time pulling Marta, And to be fair to Marta she was put in a tough situation yesterday. At times i notice Rae trying to guard Pointer ?.

I think playing consistent in the SEC game in and game out is a thing of the past
Not sure I can agree, the top teams do it. Depends on your definition of consistent.
We've reached a level of consistency so far this season that we haven't seen in the past. I hope it continues
From your lips to the bball god's ears. Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I'll be the first to say I was surprised by a one possession game. I thought our talent would be too much but I was wrong. Don't know if I'll watch it but I hope our players learn from it. I'll probably get flamed for saying this (as if it mattered to me) but with everything that has been going on for the past year, I don't think any team is where they want to be execution wise. It's easy to say don't blame COVID because everyone is in the same boat. Does't work for me though. Just not enough reps yet. Not enough time to evaluate issues and implement fixes. Something always getting in the way. Something always slowing progress. Something....something....something.... COVID has been a great equalizer from that standpoint and COVID will greatly contribute to a bloody first half of the conference season until teams get enough games under their belt. Frankly, I don't think any conference team stands out as being greatly superior to everyone else. The conference seems deeper this year. More teams are in the middle of the conference looking to get to the top and right now it is the best time to get a signature win or two. Once the super talented teams get some more reps, it will be too late for some teams.

Some will disagree but i think the play of our post will determine how far this team will go. Yes they don`t bring much scoring, But if you look at yesterday game and KJH post game interview she talked about KK and Key and wanted Key to shoot more and she did look for her shot more. Also i notice KJH wasted no time pulling Marta, And to be fair to Marta she was put in a tough situation yesterday. At times i notice Rae trying to guard Pointer ?.
We tried everybody on Pointer and no one could guard her in the man to man. We slowed her down a little with the zone. When Pointer sees orange she reaches another level as a player. With the small lineup LSU plays Marta as a perimeter player was doomed to fail We went to the double post to try to pound them on the boards with second chance points it worked somewhat but nothing worked great yesterday.

Not sure I can agree, the top teams do it. Depends on your definition of consistent.

From your lips to the bball god's ears. Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
If you watched Arkansas vs Texas A&M or Kentucky vs South Carolina you would know about some very inconsistent play and some bad decisions that I doubt even we would make.

I'll be the first to say I was surprised by a one possession game. I thought our talent would be too much but I was wrong. Don't know if I'll watch it but I hope our players learn from it. I'll probably get flamed for saying this (as if it mattered to me) but with everything that has been going on for the past year, I don't think any team is where they want to be execution wise. It's easy to say don't blame COVID because everyone is in the same boat. Does't work for me though. Just not enough reps yet. Not enough time to evaluate issues and implement fixes. Something always getting in the way. Something always slowing progress. Something....something....something.... COVID has been a great equalizer from that standpoint and COVID will greatly contribute to a bloody first half of the conference season until teams get enough games under their belt. Frankly, I don't think any conference team stands out as being greatly superior to everyone else. The conference seems deeper this year. More teams are in the middle of the conference looking to get to the top and right now it is the best time to get a signature win or two. Once the super talented teams get some more reps, it will be too late for some teams.
Well Davis and Burrell going for 22 instead of 52 made it the game it was. When they as a duo fail to score 35 to 40 I figure were in for a battle.

VN Store

Back