Game Thread Lady Vols at (#15) Indiana

Really happy about the game and the rotation. Of course three players played more minutes than they can going forward but it was a huge call by Coach Harper to push them to the limits through this game as I don't think we win otherwise. Tough to hear that Green is out for the season. I assume that she will be back next season and she will be much needed get well soon. Indiana was a very tough defensive team. I was really impressed as to how they played defense and also impressed at the way we attacked and made baskets. Going forward we'll need one of the freshmen or Renne to be able to step up and give a few productive minutes. I'd like to think that McCoy can come back and handle some of the minutes at the four with Marta. We have 15 fouls at the five and looks like we need that many. Emily proved she can handle a few minutes against any competition. This is why you need at least 13 or more players on the roster never know when an injury will occur.

Really happy about the game and the rotation. Of course three players played more minutes than they can going forward but it was a huge call by Coach Harper to push them to the limits through this game as I don't think we win otherwise. Tough to hear that Green is out for the season. I assume that she will be back next season and she will be much needed get well soon. Indiana was a very tough defensive team. I was really impressed as to how they played defense and also impressed at the way we attacked and made baskets. Going forward we'll need one of the freshmen or Renne to be able to step up and give a few productive minutes. I'd like to think that McCoy can come back and handle some of the minutes at the four with Marta. We have 15 fouls at the five and looks like we need that many. Emily proved she can handle a few minutes against any competition. This is why you need at least 13 or more players on the roster never know when an injury will occur.

Nice evaluation. Lots of good definitely went down. It was really nice to see Emily out there. She was right in the mix on a lot of rebounds. Only grabbed 3 but she was fighting for the boards. She’s got to be ready to score though. She did a great job getting open a couple times but then she wasn’t at all ready when the ball was passed to her.

Emily needs to take a few of those short jumpers instead of hesitating and passing. She has good form on her shot.

Agreed, she has a really nice free throw stroke as well. If she plays a little bit she’d do well to make a move and score or get fouled. She can hit her foul shots which is nice for a big girl.

Kellie my god😲

Love the 360 spin lmao. Nice to see some passion and common sense on our sidelines again. That was a ridiculous play and the officials needed a good old fashioned berating. Seems that it did help us a bit as our bigs didn’t pick up anymore fouls until mid way through the third I think.

One thing I did notice is that our perimeter defense against the dribble drive could be better. Tamari is a great back line enforcer but someone still has to check the dribble drive. If they let them drive freely into the paint the offensive player can throw their self into Tamari and draw a foul. If someone will stick with them and force a tough shot T can come over on help side and block it while avoiding contact. She helps her teammates out by saving them when they get beat. Now they’ve gotta help her out and get beat a lot less.

Almost all of her fouls were committed against perimeter players driving to the basket. She’s going to need her fouls when she has to play against more physical post players. She can’t afford to bail out her teammates and pick up cheap fouls. Burrell and Davis had 0 and 1 foul respectively. If they get beat sometimes it’s not the worst plan ever to reach and foul the player on the floor. Force them to inbound before they put up a shot, draw a foul on your big girl and go to the line.

Last edited:
JUGGS MACHINE!
Actually one of the best tools for teaching kids how to play is a tennis ball server. Let the machine swing slightly right and left and the catch has to be made one handed. Shoot a ball every 2 seconds and vary the speed as necessary. Really great way to develop hand eye coordination real fast.

Like others here, I am puzzled as to how we can have so many post players 6'4" and up and yet consistently get very few points out of that group, regardless of the opponents they face. What's up with that? I find it difficult to believe that it's just that the universe dealt Tennessee so many posts who are not capable of learning how to focus enough to hit those easy shots under the basket. I'm worried that the post coach isn't a very good teacher. : /

I seriously doubt that Kellie would ever let her husband go off the staff, even if she should. Having two coaches in the same family with different jobs with different programs would likely make it nearly impossible for them to manage the two small children. : /

Anyway, hopefully they'll start coming around really, really soon and start putting points on the board. It's handicapping the entire team to have post players who don't hold up their end of the scoring sheet. Jon could really use some help from outside the program, but something tells me he's not the kind of guy who would believe he needs help or ask for help even if he did know he needed it. He just needs to try something new because what he's doing isn't working.

She makes enough money that the two income factor should be irrelevant as it relates to recruiting/development improvement. Having said that, footwork, speed and in one case effort at the five, isn’t good.

Last edited:
Agree it’s mostly lack of talent. Not sure about evaluations because at the end of the day, you take what you can get.

I think they both played well in HS. For Key: being 6’6” and at all athletic is going to get you 5 stars in WBB most of the time. I suspect KK did not play against any size at all in HS. She was able to stand there, catch, dribble and score but never improved her game beyond that. Maya Dodson was also on her HS team so with two bigs like that on one HS team is likely she often had a small defender.

I think they both played well in HS. For Key: being 6’6” and at all athletic is going to get you 5 stars in WBB most of the time. I suspect KK did not play against any size at all in HS. She was able to stand there, catch, dribble and score but never improved her game beyond that. Maya Dodson was also on her HS team so with two bigs like that on one HS team is likely she often had a small defender.
I don't know, I'm not sure I see much athleticism in Key. Like I said, I've seen her play a ton.

Reactions: lfvol
Just watched the game. These referees were clueless. I'm sure both coaches wanted to smack them up the side of the head. At least it was bad for both teams. I wasn't quite as disappointed with our post play after watching the game. It sounded worse than it was. It was a good win but I'm not sure Indiana is the 15th best team in the country. Hopefully they keep it up because they play good defense, but I'm not sure about their offense. On to the next game whenever that will be now that Sunday's game has been cancelled.

She takes an elbow to the face and gets a foul called on her!!!!

Bah! No elbow to the face is going to stop Kellie.

Actually one of the best tools for teaching kids how to play is a tennis ball server. Let the machine swing slightly right and left and the catch has to be made one handed. Shoot a ball every 2 seconds and vary the speed as necessary. Really great way to develop hand eye coordination real fast.

I was actually going to joke about using a tennis shooter or pitching machine a couple of days ago, but it makes sense for real after reading your post.

Taking at least 1/2 step forward to meet the ball would help some and separate from defender....
101 basic basketball skills, keep moving...
The passing drill from Hoosiers would also help some....

When ball is being passed inside, it's suspense time...Not if the basket will be made, but if the catch will be made.

Taking at least 1/2 step forward to meet the ball would help some and separate from defender....

When ball is being passed inside, it's suspense time...Not if the basket will be made, but if the catch will be made.

You're completely right. At this point, we need to accept what our posts are: rebounders, defenders, and screen setters. They should just be an ancillary part of our offensive sets. We absolutely should not be forcing it to them on the block. 33% chance of a turnover times 50% chance of making the shot (being generous) equals only 33% efficiency on possessions that end in a post entry. Each possession should have a goal of 50% efficiency.

So you don't think KK could make it as a catcher in the Major leagues after her college days are over. I think she only fumbled about five yesterday may have an opening as a running back on the football team with those kind of hands.

Yes. It’s very true, rotation was pretty tight tonight. You can tell she really wanted this one. Big win for the program. I hope Indiana performs well in the Big 10. Don’t want to see this win end up like the win over ND last season. Their poor performance as the season progressed negated any positive we got from it.
I hope Indiana does well, too, but they can never take away that Coach Kellie‘s first Tennessee team beat Coach Muffet McGraw’s last team AT ND. 😀

Even with Keyen, I don't think the LVs were going to get a lot of points from their posts. We saw the formula for the LVs to beat stronger teams-- Davis and Burrell have to provide the heavy scoring punch with decent contributions from the other players. Double digits from Horston really helps the equation. So, yes, if our post can defend the lanes and get rebounds, that can be enough. Tonight, 6 out of 66 of the LV's points came from the post. Hopefully, we can get more production than that going forward--double digits between KK and Key should be possible. But, this team is really not built to be an offensive juggernaut so it needs to clamp down defensively and win lower scoing contests, as per today's game
Very good analysis, Madtownvol.

Even with Keyen, I don't think the LVs were going to get a lot of points from their posts. We saw the formula for the LVs to beat stronger teams-- Davis and Burrell have to provide the heavy scoring punch with decent contributions from the other players. Double digits from Horston really helps the equation. So, yes, if our post can defend the lanes and get rebounds, that can be enough. Tonight, 6 out of 66 of the LV's points came from the post. Hopefully, we can get more production than that going forward--double digits between KK and Key should be possible. But, this team is really not built to be an offensive juggernaut so it needs to clamp down defensively and win lower scoing contests, as per today's game
Madtownvol, the LVs won a national championship with the kind of team that you said this team should aspire to be. Of course, the last LV NC team had Candace Parker for clutch offense. This team does not have a Parker but they do have a nice combination of Davis, Burrell and Horston for offense in the clutch..

VN Store

Back