Game Thread : Lady Vols 80 v Miss State 69 - 6:30pm SECN+

It was great just to have 8 turnovers against a team that averages 11 steals a game. As I was driving home from work tonight, I heard on the Sports Animal (99.1 FM) that the coaches have been prioritizing working on reducing turnovers in practice by having real consequences every time it happens. They said that the offending player might have to do sprints or their practice team loses points for the turnover and so forth. There apparently was immediate improvement after this was instituted. Inquiring minds such as myself might wonder why this wasn't done before, but at this point I am so grateful that there is progress being made that I can let go of the past :cool:,

Secret hidden film of RJ letting the girls of MS know what she thinks of them...
musical-broadway.gif
Love that Rita Moreno.

Why don't they use all those alternate channels that are always blank?

For a variety of technical reasons, the SEC Alternate can only be used for overflow programming, like when a game runs long. When one of those goes active, they have to take something else off of the satellite. The loop can be fed without taking something else off, but feeding actual programming to it does not do that.

The alternate channels were never designed to carry additional games. They were pretty clear about that from the start. The SEC+ online, available for free to every subscriber to SECN, was a huge part of the Network launch and remains a big part of what they are doing with it.

People dogging Powell a lot on here. I just rewatched the game. Yes, she should have gotten a shot off at halftime. I also think she blew an opportunity for a 2 for 1 at the end of 1Q. However, she played a marvelous game overall. She does a ton of things that don't show up in the stat sheet. She makes a lot of passes that lead to points that do not get credited as assists. She used her body to save JH a TO and prevent an MSU layup; went into the stands for a loose ball. She has wonderful court vision and is creative but safe with her passes.

If she can get her shot back, she IS the elite PG we've been waiting on.
She’ll be fine and I’m sure Kellie and her teammates recognize all the great things she does.

I didn't realize you were such a fan of guards that are 20% three-point shooters and turnover machines.

Darth is desperately trying to square the circle. Purcell is a protege of Darth's beloved Jeff Waltz. So, if MSTU had won, Darth would be singing the praises of how Purcell is a great coach who does much more with far less than Kellie's talent laden team. But this result defies that narrative so now MSU players are world beaters coached by an imbecile that even poor, "out of her league" Kellie could out maneuver.

Last edited:
Could not be happier for Jordy - what a spectacular 4th qtr. A couple of those late rebounds and putbacks were breathtaking. Pure hustle and heart. That's exactly the way JH can be an effective closer and have a great game.

This game left no doubt that story about Jordan adding 4 inches to her vertical were not exaggerations (I now suspect they were understating things). MSU must have thought that Kellie subbed in Wonder Woman in the 4th quarter,

They will get minutes in games that are decided nut should not get many minutes when the game is in doubt. Have to win games this year. N3xt year will 5ake care of itself

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Darth is desperately trying to square the circle. Purcell is a protege of Darth's beloved Jeff Waltz. So, if MSU had won, Darth would be singing the praises of how Purcell is a great coach who does much more with far less than Kellie's talent laden team. But this result defies that narrative so now MSU players are world beaters coached by an imbecile that even poor, "out of her league" Kellie could out maneuver.
Despite that, saying Miles is better than Hayes is pretty insane. 😩

What do you suggest? SEC Network carried two games last night. Unless someone is willing to tank their crowd by starting at 5 or 5:30, that’s as many as they can carry in one night. They did carry three on opening night, but being a holiday week made the 5 pm start a little more realistic. Some Thursday nights, they also have a game on ESPN/ESPN2 and ESPNU, but Thursday is also a gameday for women’s hoops in the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12, so matchups from those conferences are battling for those slots as well.

It’s a little easier on the weekends because they can put Sunday games at noon/2/4 and also uses a Monday night slot to get more games on TV. There’s just more inventory than there are slots.
They have two SEC channels,. One of them is seldom used. In fact, I can not remember when the second channel has been used. They could start another game earlier if they shorten the time Paul Finebaum is on the air. His show is difficult to watch for more than an hour. In addition the SEC Network was sold as being an opportunity to watch all SEC football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. In addition, they suggested we would be able to watch many of the non revenue sports such as; women’s softball, track, volleyball, tennis and soccer As well as expand the opportunity to expand men’s sports including, baseball, track, and tennis. They seem to have the time to include a number of games on SEC+ and ESPN + at an additional charge. If they can easily broadcast games on the second SEC channel. It is simply another example of ESPN/Disney greed which we as fans are cheated from what we originally purchased. I thought you would understand the view of the fans who can not attend all these games and do not live in the immediate Knoxville area. I am 84 years old and have football season tickets my father first got in 1933. I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1945. I had to listen to basketball games on the 50,000 watt radio stations because there were no station which have a signal strong enough to listen to night games if one lived farther tan 40-50 miles from Knoxville. The technology is available if ESPN respected the fans rather than drive to make billions of $$$.
By the way, when the SEC Network was launched, it had 4 channels listed as being available. Thank for your reply and I hope you have some sympathy for Tennessee sport fans who attempt to enjoy all of our University’s sports teams.

Well, one has averaged over 26 points per game at the NCAA Division 1 level and one doesn't have 26 points total for this entire season. That game might not last 7 seconds...

Completely padded against the little girl teams haters was playing against at MTSU.

This season she's at 8 points per game on 40% shooting and 20% shooting from 3. She's a freaking senior but I'm 100% certain Miles could hit those numbers if given the minutes.

That is not at all to say that Miles should be given any minutes. Powell should be getting most of our minutes at point guard.

Well, one has averaged over 26 points per game at the NCAA Division 1 level and one doesn't have 26 points total for this entire season. That game might not last 7 seconds...

Come on man. Quit lying. You're better than that. Hayes is nowhere near 26 points per game on a career average. She had one season like that at MTSU two years ago when she was completely ball hogging it up. She's never even been close to that playing big girl basketball. Are you like some sort of friend of the family? That would actually explain a lot.

They have two SEC channels,. One of them is seldom used. In fact, I can not remember when the second channel has been used. They could start another game earlier if they shorten the time Paul Finebaum is on the air. His show is difficult to watch for more than an hour. In addition the SEC Network was sold as being an opportunity to watch all SEC football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. In addition, they suggested we would be able to watch many of the non revenue sports such as; women’s softball, track, volleyball, tennis and soccer As well as expand the opportunity to expand men’s sports including, baseball, track, and tennis. They seem to have the time to include a number of games on SEC+ and ESPN + at an additional charge. If they can easily broadcast games on the second SEC channel. It is simply another example of ESPN/Disney greed which we as fans are cheated from what we originally purchased. I thought you would understand the view of the fans who can not attend all these games and do not live in the immediate Knoxville area. I am 84 years old and have football season tickets my father first got in 1933. I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1945. I had to listen to basketball games on the 50,000 watt radio stations because there were no station which have a signal strong enough to listen to night games if one lived farther tan 40-50 miles from Knoxville. The technology is available if ESPN respected the fans rather than drive to make billions of $$$.
By the way, when the SEC Network was launched, it had 4 channels listed as being available. Thank for your reply and I hope you have some sympathy for Tennessee sport fans who attempt to enjoy all of our University’s sports teams.

Do you have a computer or a streaming device? The SEC+ are streamed live and replayed on watchESPN. If you have access to the SEC Network through your cable provider, you just log in and its free to stream. I am not denying that Disney, like all other media companies, are always looking to monetize but streaming games when they are not broadcast on the SEC Network is not the best example of greed. SEC+ has greatly improved access to LV games for those outside of east Tennessee, particularly for non-conference games.

Do you have a computer or a streaming device? The SEC+ are streamed live and replayed on watchESPN. If you have access to the SEC Network through your cable provider, you just log in and its free to stream. I am not denying that Disney, like all other media companies, are always looking to monetize but streaming games when they are not broadcast on the SEC Network is not the best example of greed. SEC+ has greatly improved access to LV games for those outside of east Tennessee, particularly for non-conference games.
Tried all of that and it doesn’t work in the rural area in which I live.

Tried all of that and it doesn’t work in the rural area in which I live.
I'm curious. Are you saying you don't have access to the SEC Network or high-speed internet in the area you live? I ask because I now live in a fairly rural area and, even if our dsl internet is down, I have been able to use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and have sufficient bandwidth to run my tv, and access SEC+.

Jim

Come on man. Quit lying. You're better than that. Hayes is nowhere near 26 points per game on a career average. She had one season like that at MTSU two years ago when she was completely ball hogging it up. She's never even been close to that playing big girl basketball.

Dude GTFOH. Playing "big girl basketball" she was the SEC's Sixth Woman of the Year as a true freshman, and made All-SEC last season. Spoiler alert: Miles will never sniff All-SEC honors in her career here, no matter how many minutes Kellie gives her.

No, I don't know Hayes or her family personally, and I get why fans here don't like her or her game but even her haters are rational enough to recognize the raw talent. Maybe there's a reason you're all alone on an island here, dying badly on your hill. There is no objective measure where Miles is in the same zip code as Hayes as a player. None. Take the L and move on champ...

VN Store

Back