Game Thread: Lady Vols 77 vs Florida Gators 67

It doesn't really matter if Jackson starts or not. It's not unusual for coaches to bring one of their best players off the bench; sometimes, it happens when the good player has not played in a while, for whatever reason, and the coach opts to ease the player back into shape by bringing him or her off the bench--and sometimes the team seems to click with the new rotation, the good player coming in after a few minutes and the team responding with better overall play than it had demonstrated when the player was starting. And so the coach will stick with the idea because it's working. So long as the player is getting the minutes s/he needs to impact the game, that's all that matters.

Did not appear to be working at all the first quarter. We quickly reverted to all our worst tendencies.

Does "working" mean RJs playing great? Could be in spite of, not because of the situation. She's that good

I'd like RJ not to have to expend the energy to dig us out of a hole everytime. But I'm sure KJH will stick to the current lineup for now. Let's see what they can bring the first five mins. While RJ waits . . .

Big win for us even if we did turn a 20 point win into a 10 point win and again really struggled late in the game. If basketball lasted three quarters we would have a lot better record. We have given up the lead in a game at least twice in the fourth quarter. We gave it up in the third quarter against Ohio State. Much like the Ohio State game we got into a turnover situation which they took advantage of and Florida could not. All matters is winning, but when are we going to play a forty minute game and give effort for the entire time. We did get it back last five minutes of the fourth when they had closed the lead to five. I find that the main thing were missing on our team is effective point guard play. We need to be a lot better both handling the ball and scoring. Very happy just to win and the next two at home have to be wins also.

Alabama has won ten games in a row heading into Knoxville,

We will need to play well.

Hope Su's mum is doing ok health wise?

Did not appear to be working at all the first quarter. We quickly reverted to all our worst tendencies.

Does "working" mean RJs playing great? Could be in spite of, not because of the situation. She's that good

I'd like RJ not to have to expend the energy to dig us out of a hole everytime. But I'm sure KJH will stick to the current lineup for now. Let's see what they can bring the first five mins. While RJ waits . . .

Yes! I vote for that strategy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

A lot of pressure for her to play up another level of she enters the game down 5-10 points before she touches the ball. We have bench players starting and starters coming off the bench.

A lot of pressure for her to play up another level of she enters the game down 5-10 points before she touches the ball. We have bench players starting and starters coming off the bench.

She will need to be in the lineup vs LSU and SC no choice can`t wait until the team get down 5-10 pts might not recover.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She will need to be in the lineup vs LSU and SC no choice can`t wait until the team get down 5-10 pts might not recover.
seems simple enough. Needs to happen before so it doesn’t look like this situation is fabricated with “practice”.

Reactions: djtee
It doesn't really matter if Jackson starts or not. It's not unusual for coaches to bring one of their best players off the bench; sometimes, it happens when the good player has not played in a while, for whatever reason, and the coach opts to ease the player back into shape by bringing him or her off the bench--and sometimes the team seems to click with the new rotation, the good player coming in after a few minutes and the team responding with better overall play than it had demonstrated when the player was starting. And so the coach will stick with the idea because it's working. So long as the player is getting the minutes s/he needs to impact the game, that's all that matters.

I think it was three minutes into the first quarter? She came in ? 🤷‍♂️

I felt Striplin held her own tonight! 20 min of play and she was very physical down low for the Lady Vols. Her presence is seen while on the floor setting and opening lanes for Horston and Jackson. Also finds open players when she gets the ball. With Key out for season I feel having Striplin, Hollingshead, and Franklin to fill the 5 spot the Lady’s are going to be just fine. 1-0 in the SEC. Now on to The Crimson Tide!

I don't know what those plus or minus totals mean on the UTSports boxscore, but they are not the efficiency rating of the players. I ran the numbers on Rickea Jackson using the NBA formula and she had a 28 for the game. The NBA considers a rating of 14.5 an average score for a player so she doubled that. Here is the calculator for efficiency ratings.

NBA Efficiency Calculator (EFF) – Captain Calculator

Also ran her season total per forty minutes played and it was a 28.61 so she has played at the same level as last night every forty minutes she has played this season.

Last edited:
Am I hyperbolizing to say RJ at top of her game is the best offensive player/scorer we've had since Parker?

For the very love, let's use her right the last half of the season. Whatever that means.

seems simple enough. Needs to happen before so it doesn’t look like this situation is fabricated with “practice”.

I think to much is being placed on Jackson plate and that`s something you don`t want to do. The other players need to play big not just when Jackson is on the court but when she is not on the court or unavailable.

It does matter that she start the games , you always give your horse the best chance(s) to outrun the other horses at the gate to win the race. And to flip my point , I want my best jockey riding
my triple crown for sure.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'd like her to play around the thirty minute mark, but I think she knows she can go all out in games not going to be in a fatigue situation. What she put up last night 28 points in 23 minutes is astounding. Coaches need to be working on getting all the other players better Jackson and Horston have it figured out. We know we can get 40 plus points a game out of Jackson and Horston who is going to be number three or four to step up. Last night Horston and Jackson go for 43 on 16 of 24 shooting. The rest of the team go for 12 of 34 so that is where we could get better and will have to get more out of some players that aren't doing much now. Point Guard 3 of 11 is a problem were having every game. The three center players were 3 of 10 so those two positions are going to need to play some better games 6 for 21 is less than 30 percent.

Florida is missing the 3 players that really made a mess of things for Tennesse last year. Kiara Smith, Zippy Broughton and Jordyn Merritt combined for 48 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 8 steals. Smith graduated, Broughton is out for the season with a knee injury and Merritt might be back, but hasn't played in their last 5 or so games. Their three big transfers are KK Deans, Leilani Correa (leading scorer, but hasn't played since the Miami game) and Aliyah Matharu (hasn't played yet). Florida just doesn't have the firepower or depth to stay with Tennessee, unless Merritt, Correa and Matharu are suited up. Otherwise, this will be a routine win.
That may be true, but I think the Lady Vols also have a couple of players who are not playing. I enjoyed the game last night , except for the over 20 turnovers.

I don't know what those plus or minus totals mean on the UTSports boxscore, but they are not the efficiency rating of the players. I ran the numbers on Rickea Jackson using the NBA formula and she had a 28 for the game. The NBA considers a rating of 14.5 an average score for a player so she doubled that. Here is the calculator for efficiency ratings.

Also ran her season total per forty minutes played and it was a 28.61 so she has played at the same level as last night every forty minutes she has played this season.
I believe the +- numbers refer to how the rest of the team did, while you were in the game. So, if a player is a high scorer, as Rickea is, that number can be low, because the rest of the team is not scoring as much. Useful when evaluating how each player effects the rest of the team play.

Last edited:
That may be true, but I think the Lady Vols also have a couple of players who are not playing. I enjoyed the game last night , except for the over 20 turnovers.

Florida four guards has a lot to do with the turnovers. They have very fast hands and harass like a bunch of mosquitoes.

The flip side, when they play that way, we kill them on the boards.

And last night, I didn't see final numbers.........but, we wore them out on the rebounding.

Here is your turnover totals for Tennessee players per 40 minutes played. Some of the totals were surprising like Darby never turns it over. I know she doesn't handle much but still less than one turnover per 40 minutes played is impressive.

Suarez 5.1
Jackson 4.37
Hollingshead 4.34
Miles 3.69
Horston 3.50
Pissott 3.28
Walker 2.88
Wynn 2.86
Powell 2.63
Striplin 2.55
Puckett 2.43
Franklin 1.64
E. Darby only 32 minutes played 1.34
T. Darby 0.95

As a team per game were averaging 15.3 turnovers and Opponents 15.9 so were staying even but last night 23 turnovers while only forcing 11. Offensive rebounds got some of those possessions back 14 to 7 but still a deficit of 5 and you never want to play a game as the deficit team because it means you must shoot the higher percentage to win the game which we did 48.3 percent to 40.7 percent.

Could you run the efficiency rating for Horston?

Here is your turnover totals for Tennessee players per 40 minutes played. Some of the totals were surprising like Darby never turns it over. I know she doesn't handle much but still less than one turnover per 40 minutes played is impressive.

Suarez 5.1
Jackson 4.37
Hollingshead 4.34
Miles 3.69
Horston 3.50
Pissott 3.28
Walker 2.88
Wynn 2.86
Powell 2.63
Striplin 2.55
Puckett 2.43
Franklin 1.64
E. Darby only 32 minutes played 1.34
T. Darby 0.95

As a team per game were averaging 15.3 turnovers and Opponents 15.9 so were staying even but last night 23 turnovers while only forcing 11. Offensive rebounds got some of those possessions back 14 to 7 but still a deficit of 5 and you never want to play a game as the deficit team because it means you must shoot the higher percentage to win the game which we did 48.3 percent to 40.7 percent.

Those are some interesting numbers

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
Am I hyperbolizing to say RJ at top of her game is the best offensive player/scorer we've had since Parker?

For the very love, let's use her right the last half of the season. Whatever that means.

Not hyperbole at all. In the post-Candace era, there has been another transfer Diamond DeShields. On her best day, Diamond would be a close match but her mid range game was not nearly as consistent as RJ, so edge Rickea. Meghan Simmons, an incredible talent. Decent shooter and could blow by anyone. I think she may have been one of the most poorly utilized talents in LV history. Coaching staff tried to turn her into a PG, which simply did not work.

Shekinna Stricklen is also pretty close. She had better handles than Rickea (who does get picked a fair amount), had a better post up game but not the dead-eye shooting touch of Rickea. I think that one might be a toss-up. Last but not least, Rae Burrell in her junior year is a candidate. Had she not had the knee injury in her senior year, I think she might be standard bearer but Rickea probably edges Rae (as a junior) on her offensive efficiency.

[On edit. I inexcusably forgot about Rennia Davis. At this point, I think the nod still goes to Rennia but Jackson might prove to be the better closer.]

Last edited:
Florida four guards has a lot to do with the turnovers. They have very fast hands and harass like a bunch of mosquitoes.

The flip side, when they play that way, we kill them on the boards.

And last night, I didn't see final numbers.........but, we wore them out on the rebounding.

Yes, against that kind of line-up you are going to have some TOs. What the LVs need to clean up (and which they had in last few games) are the unforced ones and those that come from ill-advised passes. Of their 23 TOs, I would estimate around 10 were the kind that should not have happened.

A big chunk of those happened in the first quarter and then it did get better.

VN Store

Back